Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

thesoup

Arcane
No. It's funnier if we see them rage over it.

Brinko

Arcane
http://www.oxm.co.uk/64296/many-cal...ore-gamers-or-even-gamers-says-infinity-ward/
Many Call of Duty players "aren't hardcore gamers, or even gamers", says Infinity Ward
"It's kind of a weird, ironic thing to say," muses Mark Rubin

Every year, Activision releases another Call of Duty game, and every year, comments threads and forums overflow with contempt for that game, and every year, that game somehow manages to sell tens of millions of copies regardless. How to explain this phenomenon? Infinity Ward's executive producer Mark Rubin suspects it has something to do with the huge proportion of consumers for whom Call of Duty simply is gaming, the one and only title they feel obliged to play.

"Yeah I think so," he said, when we asked whether he expected the franchise's audience to stay the same following the release of Call of Duty: Ghosts in November. "Because regardless of platform - people's gaming habits aren't going to change just because there's a new platform. We have an enormous amount of players who are more in the casual game space, but they play a lot.

"It's kind of a weird, ironic thing to say," Rubin went on. "They aren't hardcore gamers, or even gamers, but they play Call of Duty every night. And those guys are going to continue to play regardless of platform. So I think not only will we continue to engage with that existing player base, but we'll take next gen and see how far we can go with it."
"Casual" is a hopelessly general term, of course, but you can kind of see Rubin's point. Trading on anecdotal evidence, I suspect there's a sizeable percentage of young male UK players who only buy consoles for two franchises - Call of Duty and EA's FIFA.

Intriguingly, Rubin has elsewhere suggested to Kotaku that Infinity Ward introduced female character to multiplayer for the sake of this vast, nebulous "casual" audience. "We felt that that was something that casual players, who are a huge portion of our fan base, would benefit the most from," he told the site. "Our fan base is huge.

"We cover such a dramatic range of people who play our game that we wanted to be as inclusive as we possibly could with character customization. And that's where the idea came from. Why wouldn't we have a female [option] then?"

Discussing the prospect of more fundamental change, Rubin has also likened Call of Duty to a sport, arguing that "we can't change too many of the core rules" for fear of deterring both the casuals and the tournament crowd.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
He's right. The "true gamer" market is probably no larger than 5-10 million people worldwide. Any game that sells more copies than that has successfully crossed over into non-gamer territory.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
He's right. The "true gamer" market is probably no larger than 5-10 million people worldwide. Any game that sells more copies than that has successfully crossed over into non-gamer territory.

... where evil lurks.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
So I just burned through Bioshock 2 last night. Overall it was a disappointment, being a streamlined and simplified version of Bioshock, which itself was a streamlined and simplified version of System Shock 2. So the formula is running pretty thin.

Just about everything that's wrong with modern FPS shooters can be found in Bioshock 2. Exploration yields little to nothing, everything is explained to you SEVERAL TIMES as if you're a retard, your hand is led through the game constantly, the levels are dull and boring, none of the weapons leave any lasting impression and the plot and story are not worthy of mentioning. Lamb's constant's prattling over the intercom was like a watered-down version of Karras's prattlings in the final Thief 2 mission, to the point that it got annoying.

That said, there are a handful of truly good moments which surprisingly all came close to the end. The final level is a prison, and it was only then that one could encounter non-aggressive individuals. If you left them alone, they would leave you alone. Only there (and in the level before that) would one encounter moments that can be described as creepy or unsettling. Like the unstable Teleport Plasmid, the bouncing ball in one of the pediatric wards, and there was one moment where the lights went out and 2 or 3 Spider Splicers had spawned behind me silently. The Mark Metzler story (the father looking for his daughter) was the only one worthy of anything because of how it ended. Everything else was just one big "meh".

I've yet to try the DLC, Minerva's Den, but right now I really don't feel like playing it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We have a thread for talking about recently played games FYI.

BTW, Roguey, can you explain how BS2 > BS1, because I don't feel like typing it out

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't think "true gamers" are a homogeneous group. Someone who likes turn based strategy games might not like FPSes or platformers, and player who like those might not like an isometric RPG.

LivingOne

Savant
Capcom next one to go down the toilet?
Capcom Doesn’t Have Enough Resources For A Next-Gen Fighter
Posted by Jahmai Williams | Sunday, 10 October 2013 | Gaming News
More bad news regarding Capcom. When asked by a fan if the company would be bringing Ultra Street Fighter IV to next gen consoles, Yoshinori Ono responded with a very grave statement:

Earlier this year we reported (through GameIndustry) that Capcom had a very minuscule amount of cash in the bank. The company is currently in financial disarray. Then the news surfaced that Capcom of Europe is planning to cut more than half of its staff members. Combining those two older reports with Ono’s recent remark, it’s clear that Capcom is seriously, undeniably in trouble.

Not to mention that fighting games aren’t necessarily as resource-heavy as say adventure or 3D action games. The fact that the company cannot afford to make a fighting game, or even port a fighter is devastating news.

As I stated in our earlier reports, I personally cannot feel sorry for the company. What goes around comes around. This is what happens when you betray your fans and kill off beloved franchises.
http://gaminrealm.com/2013/10/20/capcom-cant-make-next-gen-fighter/

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I don't think "true gamers" are a homogeneous group. Someone who likes turn based strategy games might not like FPSes or platformers, and player who like those might not like an isometric RPG.

Didn't say they were.

Tehdagah

Arcane
That's for Mega Man Legends 3, you fags.
Megaman Legends sucked.
That's beside the point.

The manner in which they teased the fans with the third installment, the development and the way they canceled it are the reason they should all fuck off to the job office.
Correct me if I am wrong, but Megaman Legends 3 never had greenlight in the first place.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That's for Mega Man Legends 3, you fags.
Megaman Legends sucked.
That's beside the point.

The manner in which they teased the fans with the third installment, the development and the way they canceled it are the reason they should all fuck off to the job office.
Correct me if I am wrong, but Megaman Legends 3 never had greenlight in the first place.

They had made an official cancellation statement, seems to me there had to be some manner of official work being done on the project.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Earlier today I wanted to reread some old posts Lesi made about Bloodlines at another board, but it looks like she deleted them. However, doing so led me to a google cache treasure trove of a bunch of other posts she fairly-recently deleted, massively updating my Wannika folder. Postin' 'em for posterity:
SKgEiyB.png

FTf4Ypg.png

T2vLppQ.png

HKXxaK4.png

ESvdp37.png

r1YngT6.png

lJUaW6I.png

8hraki7.png
Hh, that last one.
http://inverarity.dreamwidth.org/72744.html
"English majors like talking about"

I'm an English lit graduate and I fiercely dislike most post-modernist literature. :mad:

What a westaboo :lol:. I wish she'd come back to the Codex so I could post
T2vLppQ.png

at her forever.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I can definitely see why something wouldn't like the more violent direction of Dreamfall. I think one of the things that is appealing about traditional pnc adventure games is that the characters are often complete pacifists. You have to solve problems without hitting other people with sticks. It's not that Dreamfall is particularly violent, but the violence removes one of the more interesting things from TLJ.

Dexter

Arcane

Tim Sweeney (Epic Games/Unreal Engine), Johan Andersson (DICE/Frostbite 2 Engine) and John Carmack (id/Id Tech Engine) - well I guess now Oculus CTO in a talk at Nvidia event in Montreal.

About that Dark Matter debacle:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/251410/discussions/0/810938810836838055/

[ICE]_Beastman [developer] 12 hours ago

State of the game: Clearing up any confusion.

Dark Matter was originally planned to be a self-funded game, but in able to elaborate more on the immersive story-line, a Kickstarter project was devised. The idea was to make it a larger, more epic title, with significantly more levels and selling at full price ($30). Sadly, the Kickstarter project failed to reach the target amount and this idea had to be abandoned.

The idea was then formed to make Dark Matter an episodic series, with episodes selling at a budget price of $14.99. Any further episodes would, however, need to be dependent on the success of the previous instalment. The first instalment is what has launched recently on Steam and is simply called Dark Matter.

We would like to stress that the game is exactly as described on Steam (including that it contains 14 levels) – it is simply not true that the game is unfinished, or unplayable. Some people have misquoted the developer as having admitted that the game is incomplete; we should reiterate that what was meant was that this is not the $30 full-priced game, but the episodic budget version (currently selling at $13,49 at 10% off).

There are presently something like 5-9 hours of absorbing and highly entertaining gameplay to be had. However, like with all games, it is possible for the game to take longer or indeed a shorter time to complete, if you do not explore all areas and collect all pick-ups. We still feel , like many gamers have also posted, that the game offers value for money and is an enjoyable gaming experience throughout.

It is true however, that at present, the end of the game may cause confusion and is not satisfactory. We sincerely apologise for this, as it is not of the standard we would expect. We are working to offer a more conclusive and satisfying ending to the game as we speak and expect a fix to appear as soon we are able to.

Erik Schreuder
CEO
Iceberg Interactive

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom