Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best thread ever.

Lumpy

Arcane
stalin_brando said:
When I went shopping for Oblivion sequels, it cost less for the MW/Trib/BM 3-pack than it did to buy the two expansion packs seperately. So now I'm the proud owner of not one BUT TWO copies of Morrowind, the greatest game ever made!!!!11!1!!1!11
So are Yipsl and redwoodtreesprite.

HardCode

Erudite
Hell, I paid $19.99 for the GoTY edition at Target. This was in May 2005. I'm probably going to wait until 2009 to buy the $19.99 Oblivion + expansions edition too. Or, just buy something else if RPGs start getting made again.

Stella Brando

Arcane
ESF? ESFP or ESFJ? I think I'm an ISFP on the Myer-Briggs personality thing, but I'm not quite sure. Maybe I'm an INFP. I guess I don't know myself very well.

Tintin

Arbiter
whitemithrandir said:
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=226989&st=0&p=4046108&#entry4046108

:lol: Now that's funnier than any patrickstewart!11!!1!! joke.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Good that you preserved the quote here because it seems to have mysteriously disappeared...

BTW, even guys like Todd seem a bit shaken by the amount of hype. In this interview the following happens:

Xbox.com: Why will it be the best RPG ever?
Howard: Oh jeez, that's for someone else to answer. We just try to do better then we did last time. I hope we have.

EDIT: this, on the other hand, looks quite interesting:
Xbox.com: One of the coolest parts of the game is the hyper-intelligent NPCs. Mind describing a few characters we'll meet and just how smart they are?

Howard: I wish they weren't so smart, actually. We spent forever making them really smart, and probably the last few months making them dumber, because they like to go off and do things that really mess the world up. A few weeks ago there was an instance where a player dropped the "Skull of Corruption," an artifact that when used on an enemy makes an evil clone of that enemy. He was just testing and wanted to make sure the object used the physics correctly when dropped. So he drops it and an NPC runs up, grabs it, and shoots the player with it—creating an evil version of the player who starts killing everyone. It was hilarious.

dongle

Scholar
Todd the Magnificent said:
I wish they weren't so smart, actually. We spent forever making them really smart, and probably the last few months making them dumber, because they like to go off and do things that really mess the world up.
That's one of the concerns I have for anyone that tries to mod this game. Bethesda has 100 people spending months tweaking each NPC so they don't break the game. What if a modder adds one more NPC in? What's the chance of your new guy going on a Radiant Rampage(tm)? Will you have to sit and watch him for days on end to see what he does? Even if he's only there to tell the PC a rumor about the swizzle-stick of doom in the next town over he'll be there messing things up afterwards. A careful conscientious modder might get it right, but I'll bet 99% of fan made mods screw up the game in some way.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
That actually would be entertaining in a train wreck sort of way if the modders added in NPCs that horribly fuck up the game.

Sabregirl

Scholar
dongle said:
Todd the Magnificent said:
I wish they weren't so smart, actually. We spent forever making them really smart, and probably the last few months making them dumber, because they like to go off and do things that really mess the world up.
That's one of the concerns I have for anyone that tries to mod this game. Bethesda has 100 people spending months tweaking each NPC so they don't break the game. What if a modder adds one more NPC in? What's the chance of your new guy going on a Radiant Rampage(tm)? Will you have to sit and watch him for days on end to see what he does? Even if he's only there to tell the PC a rumor about the swizzle-stick of doom in the next town over he'll be there messing things up afterwards. A careful conscientious modder might get it right, but I'll bet 99% of fan made mods screw up the game in some way.

Yeah I had the exact same thoughts about adding NPCs, it may cause all sorts of uninetended consequences but maybe if they are all very honorable NPCs you'll be safe but throw in some druggies, assassins or thieves and you may be in trouble.

BTW the term is NPC Cascade (tm). ;)

-S

Lumpy

Arcane
You could fully script a NPC, or give him easy goals, to make sure he doesn't do things like that.
If all he has to do is eating twice a day and hanging around the rest, he probably won't kill anyone.

dongle

Scholar
Oh a good modder could figure out a way. Have the NPC "visiting from out of town" and disappear after you talk to him. Build a totally new area for your quest and keep everyone there. Integrating new NPCs into the fabric of Cyrodill will be hard tho, and I'll bet precious few get it right. I've been hearing about Bethesda tuning their NPCs for a good six months. How long will it take even a great modder to figure out all the consequences of their NPC's actions?

Blahblah Talks

Arbiter
Elwro said:
Howard: I wish they weren't so smart, actually. We spent forever making them really smart, and probably the last few months making them dumber, because they like to go off and do things that really mess the world up.

Hehe. RAI turns Oblivion NPCs into Codexers. They are trying to save us from Oblivion. This is the real reason Oblivion is delayed. The NPCs are locked in an eternal struggle with the devs to break the game.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
That thread title seriously looks like something written by a Codexer, which is what I thought it was, until I saw the rest of the thread. jesus tapdancing christ

franc kaos

Liturgist
Lumpy said:
http://forums.xbox.com/2136722/ShowPost.aspx

basically? that's wrong....it is either turn based or not. Kotor is turn based... you choose your action through a menu, it is in real time, but still turn based. A action rpg has you in full control of your character in real time. And I don't get how you are saying that Oblivion is not... it is in real time without menus... which is turn based. If every action is dynamic instead influenced by choices preset by a menu, it is a axtion game........

Ah, sweet, makes me want to pick him up out of his cradle* and sit him in front of a book - 'No fucking tea 'till you've read it all.'

* He's still sleeping in a cradle because I guess he keeps falling out of growed up bed.

Chefe

Erudite
They won't ban him. They'll ban the person that tells him to shutup.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom