Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Best Video Game Intro

Self-Ejected

Zizka

Self-Ejected
Post a video what you consider one of the best (or the best) video game intro ever made (nes, snes, sega, psx, pc, anything goes).

Mine: Ninja Gaiden: the Dark Sword of Chaos.

If possible, rate from 1 to 10 the video posted above your post.

P. S.: I searched first but the only thread I could find was about PS2 intros.

Self-Ejected

Zizka

Self-Ejected
I had forgotten about Witcher 2, it is one hell of an intro. I’ll look at the others and comment later. One of the best for sure.

Another World is indeed a great intro for the time. Short and sweet.

Ill be honest, I have a hard time looking past old 3d, I have an easier time with pixelated new graphics. Must be nostalgia.

DakaSha

Arcane

Not sure about best but always sticks out to me

edit: removed Z because me being a dumb kid and liking it doesnt actually make it good

Self-Ejected

Zizka

Self-Ejected
There’s something really unique about Amiga graphics. Had never heard of Perihelion, was it fun?

Had forgotten about UFO intro, also a classic.

Something more recent:

Too bad the game doesn’t live up to it.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
First, the ratings:

Ninja Gaiden 2: 5/10. The NES is ill-suited to try anything spectacular cinematically, but this intro at least tries.
Soul Edge: 6/10. Decent, but the music then drags it down to make it feel like a Saturday morning cartoon.
Fallout 1: 9/10. 'nuff said.
Homeworld (Remastered): 7/10. While nice overall, it's lacking something to push it into the big leagues. Not even Barber's 'Adagio for Strings' helps.
The Witcher 2: 6/10. This intro demonstrates a problem; improved technologies does not automatically make for better things. While visually and technologically impressive, it does nothing to impress the viewer, or set the tone for what's to come. It's all been done to death before.
Warhammer: Mark of Chaos: 7/10. Now this is more like it.
Flashback: 6/10. Decent cinematics for its time, but the ill-fitted music kills whatever it's trying.
Another World: 9/10. This intro turned heads back when it was released, and it still kicks ass to this day.
Dark Colony: 4/10. A low-res Nope.avi.
Icewind Dale 1: 9.5/10. A good narrator goes a long way towards selling a great intro. Brilliant use of simple cinematography, boosted by excellent audio direction makes this one of the best intros out there.
Eye of the Beholder 2: 8/10. The first intro presented that makes me wonder what it could accomplish with modern technology. But what it does already is quite impressive.
Kid Chameleon: 5/10. It just feels corny to me, but it's short and gets the job done.
Lemmings: 5/10. Same as Kid Chameleon.
Perihelion: 6.5/10. It falls into the same trap as many other Amiga-intros; it plods along and uses too much text.
Syndicate Wars: 5/10. I see what they're trying here, but the early 3D CGI ruins it.
Might & Magic Darkside of Xeen: 7/10. Simple, but effective. The music does it a great disservice.
UFO Enemy Unknown: 8.5/10. A classic.
Syndicate: 6.5/10. Better than the Syndicate Wars-intro.
Republic Commando: 5.5/10. Clever use of a singular perspective at least elevates this from mediocrity.
Diablo: 6.5/10. Honestly? I thought I was watching the intro for Dungeon Keeper. A little too generic, but note how Blizzard's cinematics improve from here.
Icewind Dale Heart of Winter: 6/10. A letdown compared to the original intro. Doesn't impress me, doesn't leave anything.
Empire Earth: 5.5/10. Early-CGI intros have aged badly.
Starcraft Brood War: 7/10. A good cinematic, but not a good intro.
Flinthook: 8/10. Nice one. Gives me hope that the art of the intro isn't dead.
Cyberpunk 2077: 0/10. Rapid-cuts are the bane of intros.

Secondly, my suggestions. This one is widely claimed to be the best intro the Amiga ever produced, I present it without personal comment:

This one gets the dubious reputation of being the longest intro I've ever come across; a 12-minute monster (when you add in the credits) that looks and feels like it spawned from the Amiga... but sadly didn't, as the Amiga-version is a cut-down wall o'text. This is the MS-DOS version:

Self-Ejected

Zizka

Self-Ejected
Thanks for doing the ratings.

Ninja Gaiden was the first title to introduce cutscenes so it gets the pioneer bonus (the first game, not the second one).

It’d say 0/10 for cyberpunk is harsh though, I’d give it 6/10.

Re: Libération: 8/10
I agree that it’s good. Only flaw in my opinion is that it could use tighter editing to make it shorter.

Reunion: 4/10
The voice actor isn’t very good. Those drawings are wonderful. The background music makes it harder to hear the voice actor. The issue to me is the length. 11:00 is way, way too long. As far as I’m concerned if your intro is longer than 2 minutes it’s better be stellar. I’m talking about the bit prior to 5 min. At the 5 mark, it starts getting interesting again. I watched it because you shared it but if I were playing the game, I’d skip it.

kangaxx

Arbiter
The Grand Trade Centre in Vienna was the seventeenth urban bombing in four weeks blamed on NOD terrorists.

At least your mother tipped well!

sebas

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I still haven't recovered from my mind being blown away by:

Remember the time when Blizzard were known for their cinematics and incredibly well polished games?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom