Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best Videogame Writing Since 2005, Any Genre?

I'm looking for the best writing in videogames since 2005, RPG or otherwise. This is including quests, dialogue, storyboards, and cutscenes.

The Legacy of Kain series has always been my favorite in terms of story, but that is pre-2005. I'm partial to horror and really enjoyed the general atmosphere of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth and Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Both of which are based on the works of H.P. Lovecraft. Neither however, really had an intricate plot IIRC. At least not on the level of the Legacy of Kain games.

What videogame stories really stood out from 2005 to present?

Neanderthal

Arcane
"the first bitter taste of that terrible illusion, hope."

Couldn't think of many sadly enough, finally came up with New Vegas: Dead Money which i'm a rabid fanboy of and some parts o Witcher 3, Bloody Baron and such, which I can't deny were fucking good and a step above competition. All that popular stuff that's suppose to have good writing like Last of Us and that new Tomb Raider I thought were poorly written, far too heavy a hand on the scenes and pretty blatant plotting and attempts at emotional manipulation. Far too obvious and almost preachy most o writing nowadays, no subtlety at all, or far too long winded and farty.

pippin

If you're looking for good writing, and if you're attached to the Fallout Franchise, Lonesome Road (NV DLC) will give you a weird sense of closure for the setting. Like, yeah, the war for survival is over, now we have to move on. The old world blues is no more, and there's no reason to be attached to it, because the world will never be like it once was. But we still have to move on.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
INB4 Portal hipsters.
---
I enjoyed the writing overall in Psychonauts (2005).
Also Jazzpunk (2014), but that game never took itself seriously.
And Undertale (2015). Though many will write that one off as a "plot twist!" kinda thing, I enjoyed it immensely for the writing.
Others worth mentioning are Gunpoint (2013), Primordia (2012) and the Stanley Parable (2007/2013).

Note that this is merely based off of what I've played, not necessarily what's "best writing" out there.

If you're looking for good writing, and if you're attached to the Fallout Franchise, Lonesome Road (NV DLC) will give you a weird sense of closure for the setting. Like, yeah, the war for survival is over, now we have to move on. The old world blues is no more, and there's no reason to be attached to it, because the world will never be like it once was. But we still have to move on.

NV I have on my to play list. Loved FO2 + RP for the dialogue, but it's ancient at this point.

INB4 Portal hipsters.
---
I enjoyed the writing overall in Psychonauts (2005).
Also Jazzpunk (2014), but that game never took itself seriously.
And Undertale (2015). Though many will write that one off as a "plot twist!" kinda thing, I enjoyed it immensely for the writing.
Others worth mentioning are Gunpoint (2013), Primordia (2012) and the Stanley Parable (2007/2013).

Note that this is merely based off of what I've played, not necessarily what's "best writing" out there.

Portal was not too impressive from IMO. Modern media is completely oversaturated with the evil robot theme. It's about as cliche to me as anything involving zombies or "Invasion of the Body Snatchers."

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I'm looking for the best writing in videogames since 2005, RPG or otherwise. This is including quests, dialogue, storyboards, and cutscenes.

The Legacy of Kain series has always been my favorite in terms of story, but that is pre-2005. I'm partial to horror and really enjoyed the general atmosphere of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth and Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Both of which are based on the works of H.P. Lovecraft. Neither however, really had an intricate plot IIRC. At least not on the level of the Legacy of Kain games.

Shadow of the Colossus (2005), like its predecessor Ico (2001), was a masterpiece of Symbolism that managed to tell a compelling story through atmosphere, iconic images, an excellent musical score, and a small amount of often-cryptic dialogue.

Demon's Souls (2009) and Dark Souls (2011) are somewhat similar, as they use a minimalist style of storytelling with little dialogue but an effective atmosphere created through their environments and the creatures that dwell in them, while clues about the true backstory are scattered about. There's also a strong Lovecraftian influence on Demon's Souls.

I find that as videogames have become more story-focused and cinematic, the best writing is generally found in games in which it isn't a focus.

Shadow of the Colossus (2005), like its predecessor Ico (2001), was a masterpiece of Symbolism that managed to tell a compelling story through atmosphere, iconic images, an excellent musical score, and a small amount of often-cryptic dialogue.

Demon's Souls (2009) and Dark Souls (2011) are somewhat similar, as they use a minimalist style of storytelling with little dialogue but an effective atmosphere created through their environments and the creatures that dwell in them, while clues about the true backstory are scattered about. There's also a strong Lovecraftian influence on Demon's Souls.

I find that as videogames have become more story-focused and cinematic, the best writing is generally found in games in which it isn't a focus.

I liked Shadow of Colossus a good deal, even though the story is a minimalist one. I've heard many good things about Demon's Souls, but refuse to buy a PS3 just to play it. I hope that FromSoftware goes through with porting Bloodborne to PC.

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
Twitcher, of course. DX:HR's atmosphere was in the right place, no matter how retarded the plot was. Shadowrun series has had good writing, peaking with dragonfall. Arkham Asylum and City were fantastic examples of comic book writing. GTAV had Trevor, one of the best psychos I've encountered in a game. That's about all AAA crapi can think of.

ultimanecat

Arcane
I'll bring up Nier. It's Japanese, so the characterization can get screwy and maybe offputting depending on your tastes, but it has a surprisingly good story given it's origins. Also, an interesting setting (years in the future after a cataclysmic event, where things have stabilized greatly but humanity is clearly on its final decline) and crazy good mood and atmosphere.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Measuring good writing in various ways...

New Vegas, Mafia, Homeworld, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Witcher 3, Of Orcs and Men, Game of Thrones RPG. The guys pumping out the 'Endless' series have good writing, particularly in Endless Legend. Freedom Force is perfectly kitsch. Tropico games are always amusing.

Most Valve games have extremely strong writing, IMO, though a good portion of it is helped by equally good voice acting. Most of these games in general have outstanding voice acting. I think New Vegas is often good despite its voice acting, though, which is what makes it stand out to me.

What's strange is that, apparently, Lost Planet 3 won some awards for writing, but I've never played it. Could just be some more inner-industry circlejerking, though.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Mass Effect 3. Especially Citadel DLC.

maxresdefault.jpg

It's Mask of the Betrayer of course.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom