Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best way to play Baldur's Gate

What is the best way to play Baldur's Gate for the first time?

• Play the original without any mods

• Big World Project

• BG: Enhanced Edition

• Something else (see post)

Results are only viewable after voting.
I was talking about modding, you dumbass, not the EEs.

But for EEs be like BGs you need to mod them. And the whole point of EE was to be accessible and reduce modding. To make games playable right after installing them. It's like buying a broom that will make your house dirtier.

Modding isn't a dig at the quality of games. Maybe you'll enjoy PC gaming more once you get past that mindset.

I prefer that my games out of box aren't modded and I can chose myself what mods I apply. Much better than to apply mods whose sole purpose is to get rid of obligatory mods.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
So be the one oldfag who changes his diaper and give a concrete reason why EE is so bad. Your rocking chair tilted too far back, gramps? The only thing I’ve read so far is a applying the same set of QoL mods in an older way.
Others have given the same reasons if'n you care to learn to read, but shitty new characters and writing, ugly and worse UI, ugly new areas, and no benefits that you can't get from just modding anything you want into the originals, which is easier and preferable compared to modding out the shit you don't want from the EEs. Not to mention the cash-grab aspect of course.
I was talking about modding, you dumbass, not the EEs.

Modding isn't a dig at the quality of games. Maybe you'll enjoy PC gaming more once you get past that mindset.
Modding in what you want is preferable to modding out what you don't want. The base quality of the game still matters. In BG's case, modding good things into the base game is better than modding the faggotry out of the EEs.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Lawntoilet actually a lot of BG mods nowadays (including mods that don't remove anything) require the EE to work, especially in the case of BG1. It's because the engine used in the EEs is more accessible to modding.

Last edited:

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Quoting myself for you, in case you missed it:
the engine used in the EEs is more accessible to modding.
You can literally go ahead and ask the modders if you want. They're doing things with the EEs that they couldn't with the original games.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Lawntoilet actually a lot of BG mods nowadays (including mods that don't remove anything) require the EE to work, especially in the case of BG1. It's because the engine used in the EEs is more accessible to modding.
Which of them are actually good, that you can't get on the originals? Other than the ones that remove the EE content and make the UI look good again, of course.

So be the one oldfag who changes his diaper and give a concrete reason why EE is so bad. Your rocking chair tilted too far back, gramps? The only thing I’ve read so far is a applying the same set of QoL mods in an older way.
Others have given the same reasons if'n you care to learn to read, but shitty new characters and writing, ugly and worse UI, ugly new areas, and no benefits that you can't get from just modding anything you want into the originals, which is easier and preferable compared to modding out the shit you don't want from the EEs. Not to mention the cash-grab aspect of course.

I’ve mentioned in this thread a couple of times I’ve played both versions, originals all modded up, and the EEs. If’n your attention span can cast itself to the first three pages, I posted:

^Yeah, I’ve played both original and EE. Just mod out the extra crap Beamdog put in there, ignore their own campaigns and what’s the effective difference? The EE already include the mods required to make the originals work properly on modern PCs, sans the trouble. I do miss the old UI, though.

Now I’ve bolded the only two concrete reasons you could give me, the first one is complete bullshit and a weird inversion of laziness. There is no way it takes less work to mod out the crud in EE vs the amount of mods required to get the originals up to modern standards. The EEs already have all the standard QoL and modernization mods, built in! Hell, if you see something you don’t like, google a mod to rid its ass.

The second bolded one I completely, un-ironically agree with. Thanks for the summation, but it still amounts to the oldfags still oldfagging away. “I had to walk a mile in the snow....uphill!...both ways!...to get my shit to work on Win XP, so should you lazy ass yungsters.”

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
Playing it honestly.
My fighter character always got 1-2 hp on level-up.
He was always on the run in battle while the other party members were fighting.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Playing it honestly.
My fighter character always got 1-2 hp on level-up.
He was always on the run in battle while the other party members were fighting.

Please don't tell me that your Fighter has a CON value of 4

Which of them are actually good, that you can't get on the originals? Other than the ones that remove the EE content and make the UI look good again, of course.

New versions of Spell Revision and Sword Coast Stratagems introduce some Icewind Dale spells to the game that were not possible to integrate with the old engine. But other than that, I haven't seen even one interesting mod for EE so far.

The Jester

Cipher
Have you wished you could have more conversations with your furry companion - Wilson, the bear paragon? Do you think other party members should share their thoughts with him? Wilson Chronicles can make that wish come true!

qphfrq17wloj.jpg

:troll:

Theldaran

Liturgist
In my experience, classic versions from GOG, that come packaged with the EEs when you buy those, already have resolution scaling.

So, while they're less pretty than EEs, they're serviceable and don't suffer from unreadable texts (because too small font), etc.

Mechanics-wise BG1EE is basically BG1 with Tutu or something, with the important caveat that you can use all BG2 subclasses (kits). It's not exactly game-breaking and it may go either way.

However, BG1EE incorporates some spells and spell revisions that can significantly alter your experience. For example... with Shield, entering The Friendly Arm Inn is easy peasy. Otherwise the same would only be possible with a Priest character and Sanctuary.

Honestly BG1 is today much too clunky, either in its classic version or EE. But there's something romantic about playing the whole saga from start to finish, especially if you never have done it. Also, those stat-enhancing tomes...

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
In my experience, classic versions from GOG, that come packaged with the EEs when you buy those, already have resolution scaling.

Who cares about GoG versions of games? They are unauthoritative. They can't even be played patchless or expansionless. There are many instances of them even being modded (Fallout, Bloodlines, Arcanum, Jagged Alliance 2).

Also, the original BG runs at 640*480 only. Its UI and fog-of-war don't take advantage of >640*480. BG2 doesn't either even though we can play at >640*480. IWD2 is the only IE game that takes advantage of 800*600.

So, while they're less pretty than EEs

Wrong. The EEs are uglier than the originals. UI, graphics, everything.

BG2 subclasses (kits). It's not exactly game-breaking and it may go either way.

Idiot lol.

Honestly BG1 is today much too clunky, either in its classic version or EE.

What lol? BG is superior to BG2 in every single way that counts. It's also superior to IWD, IWD2 and PS:T. BG is the greatest D&D-based RPG of all-time and the 4th-greatest RPG of all-time.

You must really hate pre-1995, pre-API era RPGs if you think BG is clunky.

Also, those stat-enhancing tomes...

Which BG2 wipes from your companions... (if indeed, they survived the forced canon party)..

Last edited:

Theldaran

Liturgist
Using tomes on companions lol. I played BG when BG2 still wasn't a thing and I still understood that the tomes should be used on Charname almost exclusively. If only because you can import and reuse Charname in another run, and repeat the process. Profit!

That said, maybe you could sacrifice a given tome to raise a companion's stat to 17 and allow them to dual class or something. For example, Xzar, which can be dual classed to Cleric (a Necromancer who raises skeletons with the Cleric spell is alright), or much less intuitively, to Rogue.

BG was greatest D&D game of all time... for 2 full years. Maybe if you dislike medium-to-high level D&D content. Still original BG's variety, while amazing on its time, can't be realistically compared to BG2's.

Also, what's this about "can't be played expansionless". When I made a run through GOG's BG, I always ignored TotSC. Sometimes I tried it, but too bizarre, I consider it a mini-TOB full of cheese items. Since I didn't play it on the old days, I tend to ignore it.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Using tomes on companions lol. I played BG when BG2

Idiot lol. What does Fighter Charname need 3x Wisdom tomes for? Jaheira, Brawen, Viconia -- even Xzar if he duals to necro -- can take better advantage.

And no one knew of forced canon party, idiot lol.

And you only know of that dual because you read my blog.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Wow Lilura, you're a worse troll than I thought. Also, while trolling, try not to be too overly emotional if you can.

Also, Fighter Charname? Realistically that's only if I wanted to have a Kensai and be full of cheese. Otherwise, don't bother. The game's fighter-like companions are enough.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
You and Rusty are the trolls. How many times do I have to correct you?

Everyone knows Wisdom bonus to saves were not employed for Fighters in the original BG. :smug:

Last edited:

Theldaran

Liturgist
It would be OK to express your opinions (not the absolute truth anyway) while not getting too much emotional. Come on, you can do it. Maybe.

Also you can advertise your blog at the same time, but try not being too passive-aggressive plz.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom