Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best & Worst Amateur Voice Acting in a Mod?

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
What's the best voice acting you ever heard in a mod for a PC game or whatever? My vote goes to SlyFox for his remarkable impression of Garrett for a huge number of mods for Thief I & II. You could probably stick his voice in the midst of a professional Thief game and no one would be the wiser. The Worst Amateur Voice Actor Award goes to that collective group of amateur voice actors that try to do foreign or exotic accents and sound like they're doing a bad Arnold Schwarzenegger impression. You know what I'm talkin' 'bout.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Goldwell voice acts Not Garret For Legal Reasons in The Dark Mod, and he does a pretty good job at it. The issue for a lot of people is that they don't have hardware to do proper acting even if they are good at it.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
The Worst Amateur Voice Actor Award goes to that collective group of amateur voice actors that try to do foreign or exotic accents and sound like they're doing a bad Arnold Schwarzenegger impression. You know what I'm talkin' 'bout.

Skyrim's VA team?

I know Oblivion had a few like that, along with some good ones like that guy who did Argonians in a mod or two. As for doing foreign accents well, it's best when they're actually- well, foreign. There was a companion mod for Obivion by a young Swedish woman who did the voice acting herself and it was quite sweet and comforting hearing her thick northern girl accent as she accompanied me on my journeys.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Best voice acting would probably go to Underhell. Not only is it very high quality, but it's well acted and the allied characters are likeable, which is quite the feat. I also think that Rocksbourg 3 has some of the best amateur voice acting I've ever heard.
Worst voice acting? Some of the custom Dungeon Keeper campaigns have some dreadfully bad Richard Ridings-like intros for the levels.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I just realized that the only game mods I've played that had voice acting in them are all Thief Fan Missions. Or at least game mods where I can remember above-average voice acting took place.

I've probably played some mods with crap voice-acting, and fortunately forgotten about them.

Worse though is the fact that I've played commercial games being sold for $10+ that have horrible, terrible voice acting.

Axe Father

Savant
In my experience, mod voice acting tends to be shit. Mostly because
they don't have hardware to do proper acting even if they are good at it.
but also because the pool of amateur actors that do this sort of thing skews real young which limits the range of characters most of them can play. Slyfoxx as Garrett works because he's an older guy and Stephen Russell (I dunno how old the man is, can't find a DOB) had to at least have been over thirty when he first played the character. It really fucks with the presentation when I'm hearing rosy-cheeked nineteen or twenty year olds trying to sound like grizzled bad asses or fake foreign accents. I played Mental Omega 3.0 a year or two ago and the voice acting was all over the place. Thought some of the units were decent but one that stood out as awful was one of the Allied Air units where what sounded like a British lad of sixteen was trying to sound like a Chuck Yeager flyboy type.

Worse though is the fact that I've played commercial games being sold for $10+ that have horrible, terrible voice acting.

This is only somewhat related, but there a handful of games where mediocre to terrible voice acting actually served well for atmosphere, at least for me. Off the top of my head I can think of both System Shocks, where the average people having the voices of real average people is still refreshing to go back to now that modern games have the constant over acted stylings of your Nolan Norths, Troy Bakers, and Roger Craig Smiths. Another is Silent Hill 2, where the off-kilter acting sort of unintentionally melds with the bizarre circumstances of the characters. Guy Cihi is no voice actor, but he lent some kind of real edge to the main character that is clearly lost when a professional steps into the booth as seen in the HD edition.

zool

Arcane
Clan Quest Mod for VtM : Bloodlines is notable for having very good amateur / semi-professional VA - in a game whose VA was praised as one of the very best.

Reinhardt

Arcane
saerileG.gif

and her friends

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
There used to be a fan-made campaign for Starcraft called The Antioch Chronicles that had stellar voice acting, on par with the best stuff you heard in Brood War. The production values of that campaign were generally top notch, too bad it was never completed.

Endemic

Arcane
Didn't the Ion Storm devs voice a lot of the characters? Tom Hall = Walton Simons, for example. I agree the foreign accents were very cheesy and silly though.

Cross

Arcane
Fuck that scene. They could just have made the padawan a Twi'lek or whatever alien race and used the existing generic voice files.
Still wouldn't have solved the problem of the horrific dialogue. The scene and character in question aren't even cut content, all of it was written by modders. I have no idea what it's doing in a 'restored content' mod.

Endemic

Arcane
Meh, I didn't pay much attention to her. Presumably they wanted to explain why the laigreks were overrunning the temple ruins. :? It sticks out because 95% of the mod does what it says on the tin.

Speaking of which, this was an interesting scene:

Last edited:

kintake

Savant
You also ask for worst voice-acting. My first thought went to the custom campaings made for dungeon keeper, included in keeperfx. Nerds trying to emulate the amazing voice-work of Richard Ridings sends the bad kind of shivers down my spine.
Have a taste, it's quite glorious; https://vocaroo.com/i/s0cSPKL9gakc

Beastro

Arcane
This thread needs to be turned more into a "hilariously amusing/endearing bad voice acting" thread.

thesoup

Arcane
Didn't the Ion Storm devs voice a lot of the characters? Tom Hall = Walton Simons, for example. I agree the foreign accents were very cheesy and silly though.
Yeah there were like maybe 3-4 hired voice actors. Rest were iron storm devs. Could have been worse because they at least had Tom Hall who was trained in acting (finished some acting academy) and jay anthony franke, actor turned video game developer (jc and paul denton's voice)

The voice acting in Deus Ex Nihilum rubbed me the wrong way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom