Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Bethesda: making games for the PC gamers.

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by racofer, Dec 23, 2011.

1. racofer Thread Incliner

racofer

Yes you're not reading this wrong. Skyrim was not compiled for the X86 plataform, which means, no compiler optimizations are used. Skyrim doesn't benefit from your precious SSE1/2/3/4 or AMD's 3DNow! CPU extensions, meaning that it runs like that software you used to compile back in computer science school with the gnu compiler when you didn't even knew about this kind of stuff, only your little application was not a multimillion dollar game. Let alone that Bethesda refused to use DX10/11 in their game (DX:HR runs considerably faster in DX11 in my experience, so yes, games that make usage of that API can get performance benefits), now Bethesda can't be bothered to recompile their games for the PC platform.

What that little app does is the good old dll injection through SKSE (Skyrim Script Extender) to force the game executable to use those valuable CPU resources it wasn't using. Many people report increased performance in busy areas of the game (namely Markarth), and I can confirm that claim. I used to get 22fps in that place while maintaining close to 60 everywhere else, now it stays at around 30fps while facing the waterfalls. Bethesda said it was "dem waterfalz are too immershive!" but now we all know this is bullshit. I wonder if Gamebryo games don't suffer from the same issue...

Bethesda : They worry about the PC crowd.

More at: http://www.dsogaming.com/news/skyri...u-optimization-up-to-20fps-performance-boost/

^ Top  
  2. baronjohn Cipher

baronjohn
    The GNU compiler is actually state of the art.

^ Top  
  3. racofer Thread Incliner

racofer
    I'm not mocking it, baronjohn, I'm merely making an analogy about Bethesda's amazing lack of competence.

^ Top  
  4. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    Could you honestly say you're surprised by this?

I'm surprised the guy didn't get banned.

^ Top  
  5. Suchy Arcane

Suchy
    I guess I should be happy and download it right now, but this is how many fucks I give about Skyrim:

^ Top  
  6. mondblut Arcane

mondblut
    You say it like it's something bad. I think it's nice someone is in this business not for the purpose of helping Microsoft sell their newest pile of shit OS. DX above 9 can fuck off along with Windows past XP.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    :retarded:

I am genuinely shocked.

^ Top  
  8. ortucis Prophet

ortucis

Skyrim runs at like 9000 FPS for me without any of these optimizations.

Visually game looks great and the only thing that bothered me was the character models. Game looks and performs way better than DX: HR all maxed out for me so it's HR that has the shitty engine/optimizations for PC, not Skyrim.

^ Top  
  9. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    DX10/11 isn't the issue here.
    Releasing a commercial software product on the PC compiled without compiler optimizations is majestically derp. It's not supposed to be done.

^ Top  
  10. mondblut Arcane

mondblut
    Perhaps they don't want to lose the Celeron market :smug:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. CappenVarra phase-based phantasmist Patron

CappenVarra
    And here I thought Bethesda employed people who can into programming. Oh wait, I didn't.

^ Top  
  12. Menckenstein Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver

Menckenstein
    Playing derpvil's advocate here: Is there some kind of legit justification for this?

^ Top  
  13. baronjohn Cipher

baronjohn
    Sure, optimizations can cause stability problems and can make other problems harder to diagnose.

^ Top  
  14. Luzur Prestigious Gentleman Good Sir

Luzur
    is this somehow related to console hardware strength?

^ Top  
  15. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    It requires additional work? Same reason the UI is horrible.

^ Top  
  16. Overweight Manatee Scholar

Overweight Manatee
    [​IMG]

It requires literally no extra work. When you compile you flick a switch and the compiler magically makes everything faster (at the possible expense of stability and ease to debug if the compiler makes a mistake and an optimized function doesn't do quite what it should, but this is rare). Having it off while developing makes sense, but turning them on for a release is something that any non-retarded dev would do.

Its the epitome of software bloat. Now that PCs are a minimum 5x faster than console devs aren't even paying attention to PC performance unless its less than 1/5th as efficient as consoles. So much that they can't even be bothered.

I can only imagine how many other games these days have such silly issues. The only reason we are finding out about Skrim's problems is because there are thousands of modders and at least a handful of them are competent.

^ Top  
  17. SCO Arcane In My Safe Space

SCO
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    They probably forgot to change the setting to release build.

^ Top  
  18. sea inXile Entertainment Developer

sea
    Well, they integrated the Large Address Aware flag (which apparently required weeks of testing), so maybe we'll get lucky and smarten up with this one as well if people demand it enough.

^ Top  
  19. tennishero Novice

tennishero
    without superior console controls who gives a fuck anyway

pc''s are stone age

^ Top  
  20. Luzur Prestigious Gentleman Good Sir

Luzur
    are you even trying anymore?

^ Top  
  21. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    Was he ever?

^ Top  
  22. racofer Thread Incliner

racofer
    Now on patch 1.4, Bethesda added the compiler optimizations that the likes of Tesval and Skyboost were talking about.

I've not personally tested it myself yet, but people are reporting massive performance gains with 1.4 beta, like this:

[​IMG]

Modders fixed it once again.

^ Top  
  23. Cowboy Moment Arcane

Cowboy Moment
    Well, Gamebryo supposedly offloads shadow rendering to the CPU (rofl), so it makes sense that even basic optimization of the code would result in major performance gains.

But yeah, this really makes me question the basic competence of game developers in general.

^ Top  
  24. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    95% of players and reviewers will take this as a sign that Bethesda is a really great developer that supports their games. Future Bethesda games will come with speed up loops for marketing purposes.

^ Top  
  25. SCO Arcane In My Safe Space

SCO
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Genius. Managing i can get behind of.

Also liked this:

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.