Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Bethesda: Making Games for the PC Gamers

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by VentilatorOfDoom, Dec 23, 2011.

1. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

<p><a href="http://www.dsogaming.com/news/skyrim-acceleration-layer-offers-cpu-optimization-up-to-20fps-performance-boost/" target="_blank">Modders fix it.</a></p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <blockquote>
    <p>God, I love modders. I&rsquo;m pretty sure that everyone has noticed slowdowns when entering Skyrim&rsquo;s cities and where there are a lot of NPC&rsquo;s. Have you ever wondered what was the culprit and caused that performance hit? Apparently, it was due to un-optimization as modder Arisu released a mod &ndash; that is currently compatible only with the 1.3.10 version of Skyrim &ndash; that offers up to 40% performance boost on both high-end and low-end machines. And get this right; it really does work. So yeah, this is a must-have mod for every Skyrim player.</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>As the modder described:</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>&ldquo;This patch will improve your frame rate by up to 40% in all CPU-dependent situations, i.e. especially in cities.It works mostly by rewriting some x87 FPU code and inlining a whole ton of useless getter functions along the critical paths because the developers at Bethesda, for some reason, compiled the game without using any of the optimization flags for release builds.&rdquo;</p>
    </blockquote>
    <p>So, they forgot to flag their compiled executable for those optimizations. Shit happens. Endearing, if you're thinking about it.</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p><em>Thanks, racofer.</em></p>

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Black Arcane

Black
    For someone who doesn't care about scyrim, racofer-kun sure does follow it and its modding scene :smug:

^ Top  
  3. circ Arcane

circ
    So they've apparently patched that piece of shit but actually making it run hasn't been a priority and neither has bucket abuse. Just like every other developer then.

^ Top  
  4. Breaking Axe Educated

Breaking Axe
    Is there a way to make this work with say, the 4gb mod?

^ Top  
  5. kris Arcane

kris
    Which city would that be?

^ Top  
  6. Jiggy Boobles TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™ Patron

Jiggy Boobles
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    So the reason why games with 2006 graphics run like shit on my high-end 2011 PC is because they're un-optimised console shit? As opposed to the commonly-held belief that consoles using mobile components from half a decade ago are just superiour to modern desktops?

And to make matters worse, game developers are lazy fucks who prefer to let modders do their jobs?

Mind = Blown.

^ Top  
  7. Turjan Arcane

Turjan
    It's an old Bethesda tradition not to optimze their games. Morrowind was also a blatant example of complete failure on that front.

^ Top  
  8. Mozgoëbstvo Learned

Mozgoëbstvo
    I don't even care. That blight is finally gone from my computer. Finally!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA

^ Top  
  9. SCO Arcane In My Safe Space

SCO
    Ah yes. The "exe optimizer", that to boot, prevented crashes from their dodgy floating point math.

It's actually much worse: these optimizations are automatic if the compiler has them turned on. They are turned off by default mostly because the C linker is a piece of shit that can't be fixed for compatibility reasons and it takes forever to build something with optimizations.
    Just incompetence.

^ Top  
  10. Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Arcane

Tuco Benedicto Pacifico
    Isn't that mod completely pointless and redundant after the third patch?

^ Top  
  11. villain of the story Arcane

villain of the story
    MCA
    There will be future blights, son.

^ Top  
  12. Overweight Manatee Scholar

Overweight Manatee
    I hope this doesn't stop Bethesda from getting their check from AMD/Intel for making people buy 2010 hardware for a 2005 game.

... I wonder if that actually happens anymore?

^ Top  
  13. Mozgoëbstvo Learned

Mozgoëbstvo
    I know, but the removal of this one from my hard drive beats the purifying sensation of the best bowel movements I had in all of 2011.

^ Top  
  14. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    I've read elsewhere on the internet that this thing breaks every scripted sequence. So much for "must-have mod" eh? Dumb modders.

^ Top  
  15. Overweight Manatee Scholar

Overweight Manatee
    If so it still doesn't let Bethesda off the hook for not enabling optimizations like every developer who doesn't have their head up their ass. Applying optimizations in reverse is incredibly hacky, its no wonder that it breaks something. It should be applied when compiled from the source, but only Bethesda can do that.

If just these optimizations are gaining 40% performance I can only imagine that, correctly compiled, the Bethesda-fixed version would be significantly faster still and with no bugs. If Bethesda fixes it, I wouldn't put it past them to ignore it.

EDIT:
    [​IMG]

Jesus fucking christ.

To reiterate from the previous thread, turning on optimizations takes this much effort:

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  16. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
  17. villain of the story Arcane

villain of the story
    MCA
    It's amazing, really. They have shit programmers. Shit coders. Shit animators. Shit texture artists. Shit 3D artists. Shit writers. Shit game design. Literally, shit is oozing out of their entire catalogue. It's like a catalogue of sewage.

And yet, somehow, it just works when it all comes together.

^ Top  
  18. Omicron Scholar

Omicron
  19. Overweight Manatee Scholar

Overweight Manatee
    Some of the Bethtards are hilarious on defense. Here's the best I've found:

^ Top  
  20. DarkUnderlord Professional Throne Sitter

DarkUnderlord
    What with all that money you'd have thought they could afford to hire people who actually knew what they were doing.

Hyuk.

^ Top  
  21. Saxon1974 Prophet

Saxon1974
    Interesting, I have played about 30 hours and been to most all the big cities and I haven't noticed any slowness whatsoever. I do have a pretty beefy PC though so that might be why but If the code is not optimized I would think it would still be slow on my pc.

That being said there aren't that many heavily populated places in Bethesda games. I think Whiterun probably has the most people walking around from what I have seen and thats what 10 people in an area at once?

^ Top  
  22. racofer Thread Incliner

racofer
    :hearnoevil:

^ Top  
  23. Oarfish Prophet

Oarfish
    Not quite that simple with C++, far more fine grained control over optimization and some of them have pretty heavy caveats. The runtime does most of the optimisation in .NET, not the compiler.

That said, if it is the case that they screwed their code so badly they can't enable compiler optimisations, lol. Be interesting to see if the PS3 binaries suffer from the same issue, as that's a totally different toolchain to windows / xbox.

It can't be an oversight. Surely they can afford a build grid to take care of build overhead. Must have been explicitly disabled.

^ Top  
  24. SCO Arcane In My Safe Space

SCO
    Compiler optimizations broke their broken code?

Wouldn't surprise me at at all.

"Let's cast a object to char*, it's a superset so it's ok"
    C programmer on a C++ project

^ Top  
  25. Overweight Manatee Scholar

Overweight Manatee
    :lol:

I just pulled a screenshot off google images. Haven't worked in a compiled language for almost a year now.

Its true that you might require some time/effort to enable optimizations, but not nearly so much as to be worth leaving them off. A few days max assuming a single competent employee and a not completely broken code base. And keeping in mind that Oblivion/Fallout3/NV all are compiling to much faster code I can't imagine that things have degraded THAT much just for Fallout with Swords.

The probable cause is that they simply had their release build configured incorrectly at some point and never noticed because they are developing on super machines which still run fast even on horrible code, and all their effort is placed on manually optimizing for consoles. If PS3/Xbox were running code anywhere near as bad as the PC is you would never see a double digit FPS.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.