Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bethesda NEVER Understood Fallout

retinoid

Savant
No, it's Black Isle that never understood Fallout. Bethesda (especially Todd Howard™) know better than all of us what to do with the IP. For example, Green=nuclear waste and Fallout 3 has a green filter to symbolize this fact that may have gone over even the most astute player's head. So much for the "geniuses" at Black Isle to miss this scientific fact.

Ladonna

Arcane
This video is just a little late in the day...

Briosafreak? Did Bethesda finally cut off payments?

Monk

Arcane
I made the same mistake as Betehsda: when I played the first Fallout, I thought global nuclear war took place during the 1950s, and that the game was set several generations later. I thought to myself that any sci fi tech in the game was made during those generations, with each community experiencing varying levels of development.

laclongquan

Arcane
Yeah, Fallout 3 is just ruins and rubble everywhere, 200 years after the war. Realistically, most of the safe-to-visit areas would be cleared of rubble by now, new buildings would have been erected with salvaged old bricks or concrete blocks

Serious question. In a world lacking a cement industry what adhesive you would use to build stuffs from old bricks or concrete?
Old tires are still around. Melt them down, then use them as adhesive for road repair~

I agree with the video, but can't understand a guy with 1,000 hours on Fallout 4 taking the piss at Fallout Tactics.

What is there to be misunderstood about? Precisely because a guy with 1,000 hours on Fallout 4 that he would be taking the piss at Fallout Tactics. His taste says it all~

Last edited:

The Avatar

Pseudodragon Studios
Developer
Bethesda understands how to market a game and make money. Had they made a Fallout 3 in the style of the earlier games, it probably would not have sold as well. From their perspective, Bethesda knows Fallout very well- they were the ones redefined it.

None

Scholar
Much like the "Bethesda was never great" idea, this is not news to anyone who has been paying attention. I wonder how many of these videos would exist if Bethesda didn't shit the bed with Fo76.

Bethesda understands how to market a game and make money. Had they made a Fallout 3 in the style of the earlier games, it probably would not have sold as well. From their perspective, Bethesda knows Fallout very well- they were the ones redefined it.

Nah.

Bethesda had, until recently, fantastic PR.

FNV was far intellectually superior to FO3 and the console masses gladly ate it up. Hell, FNV is probably the only game that both hardcore fans and the nuFallout fans can both agree is good, even if the nuFallout people probably think 3 is better.

I agree with the video, but can't understand a guy with 1,000 hours on Fallout 4 taking the piss at Fallout Tactics.

lol true.

Fallout Tactics was a lot ambitious with ideas, anyway, even if they had a few canonicity problems (weapons, some canon goofs, the aesthetic). Beastlords, Reavers, Gammorin/Latham, the Midwestern Brotherhood being interestingly different from the Brotherhood of the original game, the Calculator, etc etc. Even the elements from old games there, are remixed and different.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Tonight: Insiders reveal that Disney never understood Star Wars. Frank Herbert's son never understood Dune. JJ Abrams never understood Star Trek and any shit hack that "bought an IP" never understood that IP and just wants the moola.

More SHOCKING and MIND BENDING news at 11!

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth

neither can i; tactics may not be official canon-wise per se, but it's a very competent and enjoyable x-com/jagged alliance alike

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Fallout Tactics is underrated as fuck. I liked it. It's better than all the Bethesda ones.

It's also the best-looking Fallout game, IMO. Has a slightly sharper look than Fallout 1-2, while retaining the same aesthetic sense.

1-BOS_2014-12-15_20-05-10-227.jpg

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I also enjoyed the more urban tilesets used in Tactics and detailed, hand-crafted maps. At times you were exploring factories or narrow street corridors with construction materials lying around and rebar sticking out of concrete... only for the eerie silence to be broken by stray dogs chasing you. All of which evoked a feel somewhat distinct from Fallout, but equally bleak.

Last edited:

Zer0wing

Cipher
Simply put, Fallout Tactics deniers should be put on a cross. It was the most feature-complete game out of the bunch, New Vegas included. Add a dialog system and you have best Fallout modkit on the market today.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
They understood how to make money off of it.

They understood that their fanbase is Star Wars level retards.

Sadly they are. the only thing the author is clearly delusional about is some "true fanbase of true f1 fans who truly understood the game in the right way". I don't believe that f1, f2 & f3 were bought and admired by different people.

Also he played 1000+ hours in f4???

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Saying bethesturd sucks on codex is hardly a novel statement anymore.

I mean you're preaching to the choir, baby!

You only kind of rub it in further :/

Kind of like when that hot girl you like is fucking a guy who is clearly not right for her

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Let's all clap and cheer that the random Youtube Man made a video about a topic we all know, agree with, and have discussed a thousand times over with more depth than any moron on youtube could muster.
And he's only 12 years too late. Wonder why.

Cirtdear

Savant
Don't have my audio device nearby atm so I will surmise what was said. FO4 aint shit as a fallout game.

I will quickly go through what hasn't happened yet with Bethesda and the fallout games they make.

1) Make an immersive fallout game that is ALSO primarily a crpg-focused game like fallout was intended.
2) Not cuck a roleplay feature.

Let's analyze the story of Bethesda's fallouts.

In FO3 you were someone's kid looking for their parent.
In FO4 you got to be someone's parent looking for their kid.
In FO76 you marry your cousin.
In FO5 you will be someone's sibling looking for their sibling. Spoiler: You're a clone from the institute and don't know it but when you meet your sibling it's yourself.
In FO6 you will be looking for a pre-war acquintance. However they're the architect and it's a simulation.
In FO7 you're a robot cat and hunt rats in the vault.
In FO8 a mutation occurs and everyone turns into primoridial harry mammals. Can you yiff your way through this radioactive world?

That's it. That's the future. Each will bring more DLCs and put content that use to be in the game behind a paywall. Greater and greater social media integration with each release, higher spec requirements, and slightly more use of raytracing for some reason.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I don't think it is about understanding it, they just do what happens all the time in gaming and movies, a company buys a cheap franchise to save on advertising. Lots of people know the name, and lots of people will already be hyped for it, and gaming sites talk about zomg there is going to be a new X. They can be sure a lot of people will at least try it, and they know that most of them will be young, the old farts who like depth will hate it but that's fine, the young ones who only care about graphics and orsumness will love it. And that's how gaming works, and all the terrible movie reboots.

Yeah, Fallout 3 is just ruins and rubble everywhere, 200 years after the war. Realistically, most of the safe-to-visit areas would be cleared of rubble by now, new buildings would have been erected with salvaged old bricks or concrete blocks

Serious question. In a world lacking a cement industry what adhesive you would use to build stuffs from old bricks or concrete?

I dunno, but Romans and medieval people managed to build with bricks and considering many books and computers survive in Fallout, the techniques of creating adhesives wouldn't be lost in post-apoc America.

The buildings of Shady Sands also look like they were made with some kind of concrete, bricks or stone:

09D18BBF03D0EB81CCFCA99CC6DCEF0015A63D62
looks like adobe, which has been around thousands of years I think.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Sandcrete and adobe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom