Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Betrayal at Krondor - overrated?

Telengard

Arcane
I hated shuffling the party members around. The plot of the game could easily focus on just one party, and be better off with that. Maybe with a 4th slot for a plot device NPC, like so many other games did. Patrus, for fuck's sake, what was the point of that chapter at all?
Not just the need for a siege, though i would say that is of great importance in a war story. This structure also more closely follows one of the theme's of Feist's works, where it isn't any one single person who is a hero who does everything to save the day for everybody, but is instead a large number of people working in different parts of the world who each do their separate part to together turn the tide of events.

Morkar Left

Sceptic, Infinitron, Telengard

Thanks for the answers. They were all useful. I will read into it (already have a couple of pages) and if it's entertaining enough I will keep on reading. If it gets to boring for me, I will just start playing BaK.

BaK is set 10 years after the Riftwar, and while events of the trilogy have influence in the game, the game does seem to work well as its own separate entity.[\quote]

Good to know about the timeline.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Uh..you mean to tell me the gaming experience is actually worse if you read them?
No, I meant that the benefits you would expect, like knowing more about previous events and the characters, don't really matter because the plot is so self-contained. Basically what Telengard said.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Since this seems to be the most recent Betrayal at Krondor thread...

Couple of questions:

1. Are Swords, Staves and Crossbows the only weapons in the game? No Longbows or Axes?

2. Is it just me, or do the characters look like some random people dressed up in wigs and costumes? Pug looks like the Richie Blackmoore dude in MM6, only with a blonde wig. :D

I will read into it (already have a couple of pages) and if it's entertaining enough I will keep on reading. If it gets to boring for me, I will just start playing BaK.

So, what's your verdict?

I've just read the four books of the Riftwar Saga myself, and I wish I had read them all earlier.
I read the original Magician about 20 years ago, and liked it very much then. But now the books are too juvenile and simple for my taste. They are enjoyable enough and easy to read, but feel like a childrens' version of A Song of Ice and Fire. They have the same feudal background with (supposedly) scheming lords, and like ASOIAF there is no one main character, but many different points of views.
But everybody is so bloody nice and beautiful in Midkemia. With few exceptions the good guys are all handsome and jovial, and with even fewer exceptions all the females are either pretty or just as often of "striking" or "unsurpassed" beauty, wether they are 7 or 30. There are no female main characters, yet all the females all strongwilled and always the ones that take iniative in matters of sex and romance. There are no human "bad guys" in Midkemia, nobody is really plotting or scheming; while the enemy are soulless dark elves and goblins who are just "monsters".
And with only two minor exceptions, none of the good guys are cut down in their prime, and everything is almost as neatly wrapped up as a Disney movie.

The supposedly bad guy in the first book was called Guy du Bas-Tyra aka Black Guy. Bas-Tyra sounds a bit like "Bastard". And Black Guy? That should appeal to the Kodex. :lol:

Great books for youths or those new to Fantasy, but too basic if you have read and enjoyed newer Fantasy like A Song of Ice and Fire. And they do provide a good background for a computer game. I would have liked to see a turn based strategy game based on them.

But now I look forward to play Betrayal at Krondor, a game I missed back in 1993 due to it being DOS only, while I was stuck with an Amiga getting more and more obsolete.

Kahlis

Cipher
2. Is it just me, or do the characters look like some random people dressed up in wigs and costumes? Pug looks like the Richie Blackmoore dude in MM6, only with a blonde wig. :D
Hey, I like that! Along with the flowy narrations and dialog boxes for every single thing in the game, for me BaK has always had the air of a low budget 60s/70s medieval fantasy movie. It's an interesting atmosphere. Hard to describe. Produces that same kind of antiquated feeling one gets when looking at the oil painted cover artwork from old fantasy/scifi novels.

betrayalatkrondormanual.jpg

Wyrmlord

Arcane
1. Are Swords, Staves and Crossbows the only weapons in the game? No Longbows or Axes?

Yes. I agree, it is weird. But you can customize your weapon with blessings.
Actually, there are big differences between the swords, although they look the same only visually. It's not like you only have one weapon with a single gradation of quality.

Some swords have better slashing damage and slashing chance. Some swords have better thrusting damage and thrusting chance.

Basically, slashing has a higher multiplier of base damage, but a lower chance of occurring. Thrusting does base damage, but has a higher chance. Different swords add bonuses to the chance and multipliers in each case.

For different occasions, you keep slashing swords and thrusting swords. Slashing swords help against weak enemies and when you have a high melee skill. Thrusting swords help against powerful enemies and when you have low melee skill.

mondblut

Arcane
And with only two minor exceptions, none of the good guys are cut down in their prime, and everything is almost as neatly wrapped up as a Disney movie.

Past the original Riftwar series, he really picks up on offing good guys at random, sometimes on the level of Martin. Serpentwar is pretty much a midkemian genocide.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Locklear is the first major character that gets killed, in Prince of the Blood IIRC.

mondblut

Arcane
Yep. Pretty much offscreen, even. "Nice weather, huh? By the way, they killed Locklear, the bastards".

octavius

Arcane
Patron
It's hard to get used to the pace of this game. There's so much text to read, and it's easy to miss stuff, both written as well as visually in the 3D area which is rather cumbersome to navigate, so I have to force myself to take things slowly even though speeding through a game is not my usual style.
Combat is more simplistic and not as hard (so far) as I thought.
Both haggling and barding has been unsuccesful so far.

I first went back to Yabon, but only to shop. Wonder if I missed something by not checking the other houses?
Then to LaMut where I didn't have enough money for training.
Next to the dwarven mine. Didn't explore it though, only talked to a dwarf. That monster loose and the "bounty hunters" sounded too tough for my noobs.
Currently heading towards Loriel to talk to a gem cutter there.

All in all I'm enjoying it, but so far it does not look like I'll have to edit my entry in the Top 25 CRPGs thread.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
It's hard to get used to the pace of this game. There's so much text to read, and it's easy to miss stuff, both written as well as visually in the 3D area which is rather cumbersome to navigate, so I have to force myself to take things slowly even though speeding through a game is not my usual style.
Combat is more simplistic and not as hard (so far) as I thought.
Both haggling and barding has been unsuccesful so far.

I first went back to Yabon, but only to shop. Wonder if I missed something by not checking the other houses?
Then to LaMut where I didn't have enough money for training.
Next to the dwarven mine. Didn't explore it though, only talked to a dwarf. That monster loose and the "bounty hunters" sounded too tough for my noobs.
Currently heading towards Loriel to talk to a gem cutter there.

All in all I'm enjoying it, but so far it does not look like I'll have to edit my entry in the Top 25 CRPGs thread.
There's a lot of stuff to do in the YaBon-LaMut-Loriel area. Especially the black inked hands quest.

The dwarven mine involves a very basic fight. This game's difficulty is very well scaled. On the conventional path, you will not encounter supremely difficult fights, although you can find somewhat harder fights by beating from the known tracks. The stone golem there is straightforward enough, and the bounty hunters might yield better swords. Nothing impossible and nothing too easy.

Barding will work better if you find an instrument and play it along your travels. Eventually, your barding skill will get good enough for you to get lots of money barding in taverns.

One thing that I really enjoyed exploring for in the opening area was boots of stealth. Found three of them, gave them to my party, and ended up sneaking up on or across most enemies.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
The golem can be easily defeated by applying Owyn's basic debuffing spell.

Despair Thy Eyes works on a Golem?!?
Yeah. Which reminds me of how stupid it is that on rare occasions, this game gives you single enemy fights, since the most basic of spells can immobilize and defeat a single enemy.

By the way, the digitized photographs used as enemies works so nicely. When you see a troll, it's a photograph of a large man with a club. And when you face a goblin, it's a kid with a sword. That just changes everything, because you see these fantasy enemies as actual flesh and blood creatures rather than just something hyperreal. It's like, "If trolls were real, they'd probably look like this."

Morkar Left

So, what's your verdict?

I've just read the four books of the Riftwar Saga myself, and I wish I had read them all earlier.
I read the original Magician about 20 years ago, and liked it very much then. But now the books are too juvenile and simple for my taste. They are enjoyable enough and easy to read, but feel like a childrens' version of A Song of Ice and Fire. They have the same feudal background with (supposedly) scheming lords, and like ASOIAF there is no one main character, but many different points of views.
But everybody is so bloody nice and beautiful in Midkemia. With few exceptions the good guys are all handsome and jovial, and with even fewer exceptions all the females are either pretty or just as often of "striking" or "unsurpassed" beauty, wether they are 7 or 30. There are no female main characters, yet all the females all strongwilled and always the ones that take iniative in matters of sex and romance. There are no human "bad guys" in Midkemia, nobody is really plotting or scheming; while the enemy are soulless dark elves and goblins who are just "monsters".

The supposedly bad guy in the first book was called Guy du Bas-Tyra aka Black Guy. Bas-Tyra sounds a bit like "Bastard". And Black Guy? That should appeal to the Kodex. :lol:

Great books for youths or those new to Fantasy, but too basic if you have read and enjoyed newer Fantasy like A Song of Ice and Fire. And they do provide a good background for a computer game. I would have liked to see a turn based strategy game based on them.

But now I look forward to play Betrayal at Krondor, a game I missed back in 1993 due to it being DOS only, while I was stuck with an Amiga getting more and more obsolete.

Haven't read much so far. I'm just at the elves meeting right after the discovery of the foreign ship. It's already pretty clear why it's called the "rift" war. But considering that the rest is very generic tolkienesque fantasy it's somehow original when you think about when the book was released. By today there is hardly something that wasn't already written about in fantasy. Hardly original but that isn't what I'm looking for in the first place when reading fantasy novels.

The writing so far is decent and I can see why it's liked from a lot of people. He's one of the better fantasy writers and is able to describe scenes in detail and fleshes out the lore and background of his world even when not directly related to the plot. I like that and is what I want to see from a fantasy setting. But like you stated a bit more character diversification would have been appreciated. So far it's Tolkien black and white.
I want to finish the books which take place before the game and then playing the game. If I want to read more books afterwards? Probably not. Not because the writing is bad but because of time constraints. Depends how much I care about the setting, the time of the year and my general mood at the time :D

Absalom

Feist is one of the few fantasy authors I will actually read. That said, I do like how much he got involved with the game (after he got used to the idea,) and how much effort he put into tying the story of the game into the storyline of his books. Of course a few things had to go; can't have another magician to challenge the author insert (lol.)

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Damned, those trolls at Eldpoint were nasty.
Had to use various potions and the "dog horn" to beat them.

I also recently realized why I don't like Gorath: he looks like that sick fuck Varg Vikernes.

BAK-Ch01-0623.jpg

varg-vikernes-metal-3-200cm071911_200x225.jpg

Kukulkan

Learned
If this wasn't mentioned before already, you're experience traversing the game world is much improved if you opt to use the autopilot option when on a road.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
If this wasn't mentioned before already, you're experience traversing the game world is much improved if you opt to use the autopilot option when on a road.

It's nice for already explored areas, but otherwise it's too easy to miss stuff if you speed through.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I liked Feist's stories, but thought his writing style was shit. Betrayal at Krondor is definitely not overrated though. If there is a more immersive RPG, I don't know what it is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom