Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Betrayal of Krondor glitch?

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
During Chapter 6, I can't seem to get Owyn to cast Evil Seek on any enemies I come across. All the other spells work fine, it's just Evil Seek that doesn't want to work.

Is this a glitch or some in-game mechanic that I wasn't aware of?

Siveon

Bot
I should also specify that I was playing the GOG version. I didn't tamper with it or anything, so I'm confused as to why this would happen.

Gozma

Arcane
Can you get the Mind Melt spell in the GoG version? That would tell you if GoG has the CD version (Mind Melt quest is broken) or the floppy version, which might have some other bugs. I have the CD version and Evil Seek works in chapter 7 (don't have a save in 6).

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Have you tried phoning the official Sierra On-Line support line?
Ah, that brings back memories. Good ones, from a time when you had to figure out games on your own if you didn't want to deal with clueless customer support lines.
nostalgia-nostalgia-everywhere.jpg

:australia:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Can you get the Mind Melt spell in the GoG version? That would tell you if GoG has the CD version (Mind Melt quest is broken) or the floppy version
It won't tell you that for sure, the patched floppy version also has the Mind Melt bug. And I am 100% sure GOG will have either the patched floppy version or the CD version, not the original version. Said original version had a LOT of nasty bugs (though on the bright side you could get Mind Melt, and IIRC there was an extra suit of Valheru armour in chapter 8).

Siveon

Bot
Can you get the Mind Melt spell in the GoG version? That would tell you if GoG has the CD version (Mind Melt quest is broken) or the floppy version, which might have some other bugs. I have the CD version and Evil Seek works in chapter 7 (don't have a save in 6).

I haven't found it, no. I'll just see what happens when I get to Chapter 7.

No big deal, but it was really useful in taking out annoying mages.

Have you tried phoning the official Sierra On-Line support line?

No I haven't, but that's a pretty good idea.
:nocountryforshitposters:

When last I played it was the abandonia version. Zero issues.

That's what I get for paying, I suppose.

mindreader

Novice
OMG the sierra on-line support. When I was a little kid I got stuck on king's quest 6 due to not having the hole in the wall for the minotaur, and I begged my mom to let me call. She told me to call an absolute minimum amount of times. So I called probably fifty times and a month later my parents freaked the hell out at me because there were several hundred dollars in charges. On the bright side, I beat the game.

As for Betrayal at Krondor, when I played the floppy version, mine had a bug where when you went to the teleport rooms, it would freeze. I was a little annoyed as a kid, but in hind sight it was great, because instead of teleporting all over the place I just walked around and discovered tons of chests with lots of riddles as well as some other stuff. Later on I reinstalled it and that was no longer bugged, so it must have been a freak occurrence with that floppy drive. Perhaps not being able to cast evil seek will enhance your gameplay in some unexpected manner?

lightandtime

Barely Literate
So, as you know by now, the Mind Melt spell is "impossible" to get in the patched version 1.02 of the game. This is the version GoG has, as well as the free abandonware version from before that. And (I think) the CD version - basically everything except the original floppy version.

This spell was ONLY available by completing a mini-quest in Dencamp on the Teeth. In one house, a "red haired" guy gives you a password to tell the guard house just north of him. It's the wrong password, though. Originally, you go back to him, intimidate him, and he gives you the correct password - "diamond". Unfortunately, for some reason, in version 1.02 - the only version you will ever play, most likely - he is no longer at the house, and you cannot get he correct password, thus you can never finish this quest or get the "Mind Melt" spell. EVER.

This is a great spell, so I messed around with the hex a little and figured out how to fix/advance the quest REALLY simply.

After you start the quest, and are told "golden treasure" is the wrong password, make a save. Then, open it with any simple hex editor. I used HxD. Go to line (or "offset") AC0 (listed as "00000AC0"). The 6th digit will be a "4" (so, like, xx xx x4 xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx will be the full line). Just change the "4" to a "C". Save the file. Exit. That's all. Just load your game, and go talk to the guy now. He will give you the right password and allow you to finish the quest and get the spell.

I wish I knew how to make a .exe patch file you would simply run on your save file to change this one hex digit, but I have no clue lol. So good luck! And have fun :)

rayza

Barely Literate
So, as you know by now, the Mind Melt spell is "impossible" to get in the patched version 1.02 of the game. This is the version GoG has, as well as the free abandonware version from before that. And (I think) the CD version - basically everything except the original floppy version.

This spell was ONLY available by completing a mini-quest in Dencamp on the Teeth. In one house, a "red haired" guy gives you a password to tell the guard house just north of him. It's the wrong password, though. Originally, you go back to him, intimidate him, and he gives you the correct password - "diamond". Unfortunately, for some reason, in version 1.02 - the only version you will ever play, most likely - he is no longer at the house, and you cannot get he correct password, thus you can never finish this quest or get the "Mind Melt" spell. EVER.

This is a great spell, so I messed around with the hex a little and figured out how to fix/advance the quest REALLY simply.

After you start the quest, and are told "golden treasure" is the wrong password, make a save. Then, open it with any simple hex editor. I used HxD. Go to line (or "offset") AC0 (listed as "00000AC0"). The 6th digit will be a "4" (so, like, xx xx x4 xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx will be the full line). Just change the "4" to a "C". Save the file. Exit. That's all. Just load your game, and go talk to the guy now. He will give you the right password and allow you to finish the quest and get the spell.

I wish I knew how to make a .exe patch file you would simply run on your save file to change this one hex digit, but I have no clue lol. So good luck! And have fun :)
Y'know, I've played this game over and over for 30 years now. Originally bought the floppy disk version with my pocket money and have just got it running on my M2 MacBook Pro with Parallels and Windows 11 and D-Fend Reloaded running DOSBox. I love this game. AND I'VE NEVER BEATEN THIS QUEST UNTIL NOW! Thank you so much for handling a 10 year old's frustration that has persisted for 30 years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom