Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Better, than the test site, blander than the past.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Testing posting a pic...

zDSwC5y.jpg

Naraya

Arcane
To change the colour of hyperlinks, just put the following snippet in Stylus CSS Style (you *are* using Stylus in this day and age, right?):
.link {
color:cyan !important
}
psTlZXz.png

edit: and this snippet will also change the link colour in the notification popup (alert):
.fauxBlockLink-blockLink {
color:cyan !important
}
kRVzzWJ.png

(I also have the Codex forum font changed to Roboto since like ever)

Last edited:

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Okay, maybe some more details, aside from the new design looking like it was puked up to work on Mobile with it being a worse experience on Desktop, a bunch of things changed about functionality that immediately come to mind and make it worse:
- You get notified via Alert every time someone rates your Post instead of just once
Don't mind this.

- Threads of Subforums aren't displayed in the main forums anymore, making it a worse browsing experience and having to manually visit various Subforums instead of the main one
Not a big deal.
- New Posts in a thread were color-coded before, now the only indication is some not very obvious "New" symbol at the right
Not a big deal.
- Threads that have new Posts in them are barely recognizable from ones that don't, the text is just very slightly bolder, when you click on them you aren't led to the last post like you used to, but to the first in the thread
This one sucks and needs to be fixed.
- Pinned threads at the top of a forum are barely recognizable from any other thread below, making the browsing experience more confusing
Sucks minorly.
- Why do we need a useless Top bar that follows you whenever you scroll down in any thread?
I like the top bar. It's small and you can easily access shit from anywhere.
- Rating Posts and the rating display is shittier and unintuitive, took a while to even find it
This is a feature, not a bug. Ratings are dumb and Codex has seriously declined from becoming too ratings motivated.
- Some functions like the "Save Draft" stuff, Smilies and similar are unnecessarily hidden away more than before
etc. just off the top of my mind looking at this mess for a few minutes.
So what? This is basically just saying, "The thing that used to be here is now over there! I was inconvenienced for about 5 seconds until I realized where it is."

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You can be pretty sure that all the abuse and whining that everyone who's spent dozens of hours migrating the Codex to the 21st century is getting in return is bothering us as well. Most of the complaints have no substance other than "I HATE CHANGE" or "CHANGE IT BACK". That's not helpful in any way, if anything, it makes all of us trying to do things here less inclined to make any further changes, because pretty much all of them are met with derision.
You could have used this argument if it wasn't for the fact that you had one of the worst possible responses to people's complaints in this thread lmfao. And honestly it's a pretty shit argument. You're really going to tell me people calling it shit is bothering you :D. It's not that serious dog. Say what you want about Infinitron but he gets shit on constantly and he always has a smile on his face and takes like it man (mostly).

Lots of people are being over dramatic, and I'm sure the Codex will end up being a lot better than the current product we have now, but Codex staff need to take a PR class or something. You guys have mishandled this in literally every single way.
1655157372789.png

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The whole sub-forum threads no longer show up in the main forum thing is the most annoying change, so far. Surely there is just a checkbox somewhere to turn it back on.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Are all Youtube links broken? Or is it just on my end? If they are, can that be fixed or are stuff like the gaming video thread SOL?

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
You all are being babies. Some facts:

1. Everyone hates every single redesign of every single website/app/program that they use heavily. The forum looks mostly the same. You will eventually adjust.

2. Old-Dex was janky as fuck on mobile, and seriously needed an upgrade. I remember that for some strange reason, if I ever had slower internet and tried to post a shout in shoutbox, everything would hang for like 10 seconds. I have no idea why shoutbox was so bandwidth demanding, but it was.

3. Nu-dex has been live for like 5 hours. Of course there will be bugs. Give them time. This isn't DU's fulltime job.
The old mobile version didn't have some header take up over 1/3 of your screen you retarded fudgepacker.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
why does it seem like the only people who like this change are libtards, trannies and soy-filled bugmen?

You all are being babies. Some facts:

1. Everyone hates every single redesign of every single website/app/program that they use heavily. The forum looks mostly the same. You will eventually adjust.

2. Old-Dex was janky as fuck on mobile, and seriously needed an upgrade. I remember that for some strange reason, if I ever had slower internet and tried to post a shout in shoutbox, everything would hang for like 10 seconds. I have no idea why shoutbox was so bandwidth demanding, but it was.

3. Nu-dex has been live for like 5 hours. Of course there will be bugs. Give them time. This isn't DU's fulltime job.

curious

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
We went through this the last time a redesign/software update happened. 'Old' dex wasn't actually that old at all, maybe 10 years since move to XF happened? Now that a hideous, brown fuck up.

They'll get the look and feel back, but it'll take a few weeks.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I usually post some stuff in RPG or Gaming discussion every day... but the new design puts me off so much that I haven't made a single post in these forums today. It's sad.

This really feels like losing an old friend. The Codex used to be my front page for 15 years... but now?

It managed to keep its old design when it migrated to XenForo. Why the fuck is it not possible to just copypaste the XenForo 1 design over to XenForo 2? It's not even changing the software, just the version of the software. Absolute gay shit.

I wish the entire modern internet got nuked and reverted to what it was like in the 00s. I hate this modern world.

Seriously considering becoming a hermit now. Everything I used to like is slowly being taken away and I'm tired of it.

While I feel like you, I also know that most of what we're seeing are growing pains from moving to a new system, so I'm not wasting time right now dishing out spit and vinegar, or trying to bite off Taluntain's head.

With that said, I foresee lesser posting activity from myself in the foreseeable future, while these issues get sorted out. The only post I've made since the transfer (besides this one) is to inform the powers-that-be of a few minor nitpicks that could be looked at somewhere down the line, for example.

But look at the bright side, it's summer for you and me. Go outside more. Take longer walks. Smell the flowers. That's my plan, and it's already paying off for me after just one day.

This (transitory period) shall pass. No need for aneurysms over it.

Sharpedge

Prophet
Taluntain I would recommend making the line which delineates the end of a post and the start of the user signature to be more pronounced. As it currently stands it is (at least in my opinion) a bit difficult to notice the break point and I keep having to do a double take because I keep reading signatures as part of posts instead of seeing them as signatures.

Currently hovering over alerts does not bring down the dropdown menu and I have to actively click on the menu if I want to see them. Ideally this would not be the case as it forces extra clicks onto the user. Its also difficult to tell the difference between normal text and a mentioned user's name (for example, yours in this post). I would suggest making the delineation a bit cleaner.

Last edited:

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment

racofer

Thread Incliner
You could have used this argument if it wasn't for the fact that you had one of the worst possible responses to people's complaints in this thread lmfao. And honestly it's a pretty shit argument. You're really going to tell me people calling it shit is bothering you :D. It's not that serious dog. Say what you want about Infinitron but he gets shit on constantly and he always has a smile on his face and takes like it man (mostly).

Lots of people are being over dramatic, and I'm sure the Codex will end up being a lot better than the current product we have now, but Codex staff need to take a PR class or something. You guys have mishandled this in literally every single way.
View attachment 25075

The Codex (including staff members):
"Current games are pure decline. We never asked for console ports and watered down RPG mechanics. Just make more of the old stuff you guys used to make, everyone knows that was better!"
Developers:
"You contrarian fuckers just HATE CHANGE!"

The Codex:
"The new site is pure decline. We never asked for mobile-centric web 2.0 shit. Just bring back the old site and get this over with, everyone knows that was better!"
The Codex Staff:
"You contrarian fuckers just HATE CHANGE!"

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
That's utter bullshit; I've been dismissive of whining about minor things easily tweaked that most people here wanted to blow out of proportion. We didn't redo this layout because we had nothing better to do but because we HAD TO, as part of the process of converting the forums to XenForo 2. This as well is being done so that you and everyone else can keep on posting here well into the future, and to bring the software up to speed with the last 5+ YEARS of development that we've been missing out on. We HAD TO move to XF2 because what we've been using was OBSOLETE, unsupported and not developed any more for years.

As you obviously haven't noticed, mobile is broken and the retarded small text from 20 years ago has made it back into this new layout. And that's the 2 major things that this new layout was supposed to fix, but thanks to the pile of changes that Twiglard has been doing trying to satisfy every single complaint, managed to negate in the process. So no, it's obviously not an improvement yet because it's far from being finished.

"Ugly" is your subjective view that I don't agree with, I don't see anything "ugly" here. Throwing around such unsubstantiated adjectives is neither objectively true nor helpful in any way. The Codex isn't your living room but a shared space that has to work on several levels, not just your own personal taste. Everyone who has 30 seconds to comment about it doesn't have the necessary knowledge to understand even a fractions of its functions and workings and why certain things are as they are or have to be like that. And we can't spend hours explaining this to everyone.

You can be pretty sure that all the abuse and whining that everyone who's spent dozens of hours migrating the Codex to the 21st century is getting in return is bothering us as well. Most of the complaints have no substance other than "I HATE CHANGE" or "CHANGE IT BACK". That's not helpful in any way, if anything, it makes all of us trying to do things here less inclined to make any further changes, because pretty much all of them are met with derision.

It might surprise the Codex audience to learn that amazingly, just like in RL, hurling abuse at the staff is not likely to produce a result that you'll be happy with.

We can appreciate constructive criticism. Piling on drive-by comments of WORST LAYOUT EVER!!!11, repeated for the umpteenth time by every retard with 2 seconds to spare isn't it.

I did take out the social sharing buttons though.
Is this why you removed publicly viewable button ratings? So we wouldn't be able to see who Brofists and Salutes dumbass posts like this?

Hellion

Arcane
You can edit pretty much all forum colors from the backend, under Appearance -> Style properties -> [theme name] Style Properties -> Basic Options.

pD5Oe5L.png

(those are just the top options, there's lots more if you scroll down)

There's also the option to change the forum's width simply by adjusting a number under some template (there will be a "width: 400 px" value and you set it to 600 or whatever).

It's been literally less than 12 hours since the migration, everything will probably be fixed-adjusted in the coming days.

PS. I think publicly viewable reacts is yet another option that is currently set to "off" and can be simply switched on from somewhere.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom