Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Better, than the test site, blander than the past.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Just zoom out of the text is too large, what's the problem.

The pettiness of it is the problem. ropulos image does a great job demonstrating how good it looked prior to this change, a petty change because the webadmin didn't like the result of the poll on font size and realized that in the tumult of the forum stack upgrade he could weasel this change in despite most not wanting it.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Also, change the "Brofist" text back to "Rate"?

Is it possible to make them separate? Keep the brofist (and make it just one click), while the other ratings are accessed with a "Rate" link.

I still think that the usernames should be above the avatar as before. And that the "chat box" graphics on the main page should be replaced with the old "music bars" graphic.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
The distance to the text below the quotes seems too large as well.

EDIT: Actually, it is too small without adding a line with Enter and too large if you add a line.

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If you have to zoom in, all the menu elements become garishly yuge, which sucks. Things becoming too small shouldn't be an issue for you and your super-vision anyway, just squint harder. I stand with Taluntain.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Codex just told me I should activate "push notifications". I have never used "push notifications" anywhere, I don't even know what they do but they sound fishy to me, so of course I declined.

It just means desktop notifications for alerts etc.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
Is it possible to make them separate? Keep the brofist (and make it just one click), while the other ratings are accessed with a "Rate" link.
Double clicking the button menu results in an automated brofist. It's the only thing I do these days because the button list order makes zero sense.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I thought the old font was Lato? Also, why is he unilaterally deciding what size it is when we had a poll indicating the majority of uses prefer the original size?
The old 'dex was Tahoma 13px. The first /xf2/ was Lato. It's now Tahoma 14px.
The font used for forum descriptions, under the forum list, is a bit too large and low-contrast imo. I think the old site made it a darker gray, if you want I can pull the the hex code for that for you.
The old forum description text was #fff, Tahoma, 11px. I just changed it to same, except the color is #eaeaea.
It just means desktop notifications for alerts etc.
It's actually pretty nice because you can configure the alert list and the browser notifications separately for different events such as mentions, being quoted, receiving ratings, and responses to a watched thread.

So I'm using the watched page exclusively for threads, receive alert-list notifications for ratings and mentions/quotes, but only receive push notifications for mentions and quotes.
why is he unilaterally deciding what size it is when we had a poll indicating the majority of uses prefer the original size?
Good thing most on this site aren't blind or using a poorly fitted display.

@DarkUnderlord will you restore the post body font to the OG size and style?
I'm going to stay out of it. Will only change the message body font once an agreement has been reached.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
^^ like a gentleman

I'm trying to be fair in my criticism of Taluntain here; he does a ton of work that does not get appreciated. If the font/zoom poll was unambiguously for increasing the size, I would suck it up and use an extension to change it to how I like it. But the fact that the majority wanted it unchanged and he insists on changing, which he has made clear is his personal preference, does not sit well with me - regardless of all the other good work he does for the site.

edit: plus the new size looks gay

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Twiglard, the margin below quotes should be actually a bit bigger (maybe 2-3 pixels).

Right now the margin is too small if the text is right below a quote and it becomes too large if you insert line with Enter between the quote and your own text:
Text

Text with added line below the quote

Speaking of which, the margin above a quote could use an extra pixel or two as well.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
@Twiglard, the margin below quotes should be actually a bit bigger (maybe 2-3 pixels).

Right now the margin is too small if the text is right below a quote and it becomes too large if you insert line with Enter between the quote and your own text:
Unified the margin between the top and bottom of block (was different because of the "user said:" line)

It's now 10.5 instead of 7, 7 + 4px respectively.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
I know I'm beating a dead horse and I'm probably starting to sound more autistic than Bester, but everything would look much cleaner without all those cluttering words and symbols. Look:

Untitled.png

The "share", "report", and "bookmark" functions can all be added under an arrow just left of the post number (IIRC, XenForo already has a "more options" functionality that should be visible by default).

Just like with buttons, everyone understand what those symbols are and, in any case, any doubt can be solved with the already present tooltip.

I don't think that really looks "better" per se. To me it looks fine as is. Those icons do not sufficiently indicate their meaning without the text, so this would only serve to confuse everyone but the regulars who'd know their meaning by heart. That's not good usability. Also, tooltips only work on desktops. Every design in 2022 has to take mobiles in account as well, especially when it comes to basic functions. It's acceptable to hide some advanced/extra functions in mobile view, but the basic functionality shouldn't be cryptic.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
This would require some custom coding and constantly reapplying it when the ratings addon gets updated, so not really worth it IMO.

agris

Arcane
Patron
The spoiler element used to be able to be renamed by using
Code:
[spoiler="text"]
but that no longer appears to work quite right, as it says "Spoiler: text"

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Is this still happening? The rectangular tag "Anime" should be aligned to the right as on the old 'dex. It could've been caused by intermittent .css syntax error.

It used to be like this:

Screenshot_20220615-140421_Chrome.jpg

Now it's like this, I guess it's somewhat better:

Screenshot_20220615-173910_Chrome.jpg

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
I'm trying to be fair in my criticism of @Taluntain here; he does a ton of work that does not get appreciated. If the font/zoom poll was unambiguously for increasing the size, I would suck it up and use an extension to change it to how I like it. But the fact that the majority wanted it unchanged and he insists on changing, which he has made clear is his personal preference, does not sit well with me - regardless of all the other good work he does for the site.
No, as I've explained several times before, this is not just my personal preference but good web design norm for 2022 and insisting on making the fonts smaller every year (which is what leaving them the same size for the last 20 years effectively means) would pretty much be the definition of some petty agenda that would be hard for anyone sensible to understand. So what you're trying to achieve is actually what you're accusing me of. Funny, that.

Also, as I pointed out previously, I'm pretty sure that the small font enthusiasts pulled out their every alt to pad their votes on that poll, so it's not really reliable in any way.

Last edited:

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
The spoiler element used to be able to be renamed by using
Code:
[spoiler="text"]
but that no longer appears to work quite right, as it says "Spoiler: text"
Is this a big deal? I'd rather keep the amount of edited templates to a minimum. Anyway, it's in bb_code_tag_spoiler.
It used to be like this:

Now it's like this, I guess it's somewhat better:

Done by shifting the avatar 6 pixels to the left. Won't the avatar overlap the left edge of the screen a bit too much though? Due to some CSS fuckery this is better than adding a right margin to the avatar.

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
No, as I've explained several times before, this is not just my personal preference but good web design norm for 2022 and insisting on making the fonts smaller every year (which is what leaving them the same size for the last 20 years effectively means) would pretty much be the definition of some petty agenda that would be hard for anyone sensible to understand. So what you're trying to achieve is actually what you're accusing me of. Funny, that.

Also, as I pointed out previously, I'm pretty sure that the small font enthusiasts pulled out their every alt to pad their votes on that poll, so it's not really reliable in any way.

In all honesty, if anyone has a particular bugbear about font size, it's probably better for them to just edit it with a stylus script.

I think the default one we've got set right now is alright personally, but then I'm at 2560x1440 so I dunno whether that skews things.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom