Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Better, than the test site, blander than the past.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
When editing in BBcode the text selection background color is the same as the editor color, making it impossible to see what you have selected. But the BBcode editor may be fucked up since the cursor does not always follow mouse clicks. Sometimes appears out of bounds too :

bbcodebug.png

Weirdest thing is that BBcode edition works perfectly, but the invisible selection and broken cursor gives the impression the text is read-only.

Semiurge

Cipher
If the brofist icon was replaced, it would have to be with a version stylistically similar to the other two icons. The brofist icon quite incidentally fits the bill. The naming should still be changed to Rate though.

I was about to suggest that the "button" be made black & white to suit the +- and arrow glyphs....

Also, change the "Brofist" text back to "Rate"?

How about getting rid of
button.png
as a button and replacing the brofist with it? It's about as useless as the donut but it could still serve a purpose, especially if double-clicking on the button didn't automatically rate the post with its icon, currently the brofist. Maybe Zizka could make a cleaner version of that, if needs be.
Fuck you.

Do you have some special love-relationship with
button.png
?

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Maybe this has been mentioned, but I'm not reading through 40 pages to check.

Could the image linking process be stream lined.

If I currently want to insert an image into a post, the "upload image" function defaults and I have to click to the "insert link" button to change it over.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Actually there is still a bug with BBcode edition. Works fine, but as soon as you quote (either reply or +quote) it gets fucked up with no visible selection and broken cursor. But if you switch to another tab and then come back, it somehow works fine then.

Modron

Arcane
When you have nested quotes and want to delete one quote you have to delete the content of the inner quote and then backspace from inside the outer quote, if you start backspacing from the outer quote (while there is still content in the inner quote) it drags the outer quote's message into the inner quote. Even stranger if you backspace even further it drags the text into your message while still leaving an empty quote box.

Easy enough to workaround but would be nice if changed in the future.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Taluntain can you add this addon please? Users want to show only unread threads on the 'Watched threads' page. This is a pretty useful feature, and is part of regular Codex user 'workflow'. Particularly, this addon adds a filter by default to show only unread threads there <https://xenforo.com/community/resources/watched-threads-filtering.6876/>.

Too bad this is a paid addon, but the other one providing watched thread filtering is twice as expensive.
I'll put it on the to-do.

Can we try to make the front page look like this again?

image1-png.25012
That layout looked ok in 2002. What Twiglard's got up now looks considerably better, so no. You already pushed one change for the worse.

When you have nested quotes and want to delete one quote you have to delete the content of the inner quote and then backspace from inside the outer quote, if you start backspacing from the outer quote (while there is still content in the inner quote) it drags the outer quote's message into the inner quote. Even stranger if you backspace even further it drags the text into your message while still leaving an empty quote box.

This is a known issue with the nested quotes addon. I suspect there is no easy fix, otherwise it would have been implemented already.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

It's easiest to just use the BB code view for dealing with quotes I find.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Is it possible to have the default rich-text (or whatever) editor display selective bbcode for certain elements like quotes and spoilers in quotes?

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
would be possible to add an option to ignore a person but at same time be able to watch the thread he created ? i only ignore 4 people and this is already a issue . i can't imagine people ignoring 50 users, they must have the whole forum hidden

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
That layout looked ok in 2002. What Twiglard's got up now looks considerably better, so no. You already pushed one change for the worse.

Imagine being Admin of a forum were people play games that are half a century old and coming with [current year] argument. Why would something look ok in one year and not in another?

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In

Imagine being Admin of a forum were people play games that are half a century old and coming with [current year] argument. Why would something look ok in one year and not in another?
The takeaway is that Taluntain really hated the design and look of the forum that we had for a decade or more. Or he has some weird “conservatards like the old, so I will push for the new“ idea that he clings to.

In what world is the current uninspired, bland and amateurish looking mess of a front page looking better than what we had before?

Codex Year of the Donut
so for a while when you quoted it only included the last reply and not the whole thing cutting down quote pyramids
I liked that, why was it rolled back

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
so for a while when you quoted it only included the last reply and not the whole thing cutting down quote pyramids

I'm not sure it matters that much anymore considering long quotes have to be expanded now.

Fanta can no longer derail threads (by quote pyramid anyway).

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I'm not sure it matters that much anymore considering long quotes have to be expanded now.

Fanta can no longer derail threads (by quote pyramid anyway).
And the indent before each quote is smaller so it takes quite a lot of messages to fuck up the layout with the nesting.

Gargaune

Magister
Twiglard or Taluntain , not sure which one of you would know, but I've got a question about the way Images behave inside Quote tags on the new platform. On the old forum, they'd show as shrunk previews that would expand in an overlay when clicked, so you could essentially create thumbnail galleries like I did in this Fo4 TCs thread. On the new platform, though, it shows like the top 20% of the first image at full width and everything else is hidden under a Click to Expand that works in the post body itself.

Interestingly, though, you now have a "shrink" behaviour like that for the embedded video using Media tags between Quote tags, I tested it, so a similar functionality still exists in the software.

Would it be possible to have images in quotes borrow this "shrink" behaviour from videos in quotes so we can still create thumbnail galleries inside posts like before?

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Would it be possible to have images in quotes borrow this "shrink" behaviour from videos in quotes so we can still create thumbnail galleries inside posts like before?
Click on the image inside the editor. Manual scaling always preserves aspect ratio. Nifty.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member

Right, people only play 50 year old games here, nothing newer.

The obvious answer is advancement in technology and design, where something old looks and feels dated and clashes with the upgrade in underlying forum technology to boot.

The takeaway is that Taluntain really hated the design and look of the forum that we had for a decade or more. Or he has some weird “conservatards like the old, so I will push for the new“ idea that he clings to.

In what world is the current uninspired, bland and amateurish looking mess of a front page looking better than what we had before?
The takeaway is that you like to make shit up. I didn't "hate" the old design. It was ok for the time period when it was made. It was already less optimal when it was recreated years later with no real updates. Twiglard's current version is faithful to the extent that makes sense and looks good. That's it. Plus it's not even finished yet, since the whole header is missing.

Your "uninspired, bland and amateurish" remarks are completely off and I thoroughly disagree with them. You're simply going by personal preference where you've demonstrated in a number of examples that the only thing that you consider to be "good" is 20 year old design with all its flaws and no updates whatsover. As such your critical observations really have zero merit.

That layout looked ok in 2002.
Just FYI, this what his sorcerers.net website looks like:

View attachment 25272

That amateurish looking layout actually does look like it is straight from 2002.
Heh, that's because it pretty much is from 2002. If I had a coder and part designer like Twiglard at my disposal, I'd have changed it ages ago. The only reason why it hasn't been done yet is because SP is primarily a downloads and guides website where people don't care about the layout but only about the content. So the backend update made a couple of years ago was far more important than fixing up the clunky retro look.

So yea, you're proving nothing with your red herring because as usual, you're talking about things that you don't have the necessary background knowledge of.

Because quote pyramids are apparently something that nobody here can live without. Personally, I think that's ridiculous.

Gargaune

Magister
Click on the image inside the editor. Manual scaling always preserves aspect ratio. Nifty.
Huh! Hold on...

raf,750x1000,075,t,101010:01c5ca27c6.jpg

Hot damn! That's awesome, man, thanks! Don't suppose there's some function that lets readers expand to full size other than opening the image in a new tab? It's not a problem, just curious if there's some other feature I wasn't aware of. Scratch that, it already does it, I just couldn't see it in the post preview, this is a lovely upgrade. It really just works™.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Don't suppose there's some function that lets readers expand to full size other than opening the image in a new tab? It's not a problem, just curious if there's some other feature I wasn't aware of.
Try clicking on it once it's posted?

1655493161300.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom