Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review BeyDiv pleases GameSpot

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Beyond Divinity; Larian Studios

<a href="http://www.gamespot.com/pc">Gamespot PC</a> have their <a href=http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/beyonddivinity/review.html>review</a> of Larian's Beyond Divinity up. The pseudo-sequel to the action RPG hit Divine Divnity scores a respectable <b>7.9 out of 10</b>.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Though Beyond Divinity has a lot in common with its predecessor, you don't need to be familiar with that game's story to dive right into this one. The premise of Beyond Divinity is just like one of those movies where two guys who would hate each other under normal circumstances instead have to join forces. You, the hero, awaken in a dungeon and are confronted with a death knight--a creature who lives for evil. A conversation transpires to this effect: "Look, man. I don't like you, and you don't like me. But if we're gonna get out of this mess alive, we're gonna have to work together." You and the death knight have been bound together by a sadistic demon. So you're trying to escape from his dungeon and, eventually, find a way to break the bond between the two of you. In gameplay terms, what this means is that you'll usually be controlling a pair of characters in Beyond Divinity.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Two unlikely partners from the <i>wrong side of the tracks</i> team up to fight evil this summer in... <i>*cue random explosion*</i> <b>Beyond Divinity</b>!

Ortchel

Liturgist
I've played the demo, apparently everyone is too scared to release it on warez yet, since the demise of ShareReactor .. so I dont know of anyone who has located and played the full release, myself.

Or bought it for that matter.

But judging from the demo it looks to be basically an update of the previous gameplay elements of 'Divinity' with a new, unfortunate cop movie pair-up plotline and very 'Sacred' esque zoominable 3D models and 2D environments.

But no immersive foilage! Gotta wait for Dungeon Siege 2 for that beauty!

Fireblade

Erudite
POOPERSCOOPER said:
Has anyone here played the game yet?

I bought it and have been playing it quite a bit, it's pretty cool, but not as good as Divine Divinity. At least, that's my opinion at this point...

I can confirm the lack of immersive foliage, though. Also, there's no class-specific doors or places you can fill with water. Unforgiveable

DIPthong

Novice
Fireblade said:
POOPERSCOOPER said:
Has anyone here played the game yet?

I bought it and have been playing it quite a bit, it's pretty cool, but not as good as Divine Divinity. At least, that's my opinion at this point...

I can confirm the lack of immersive foliage, though. Also, there's no class-specific doors or places you can fill with water. Unforgiveable

I have it but the damn thing crashes like every 5 freakin minutes...::sigh::

Anonymous

The ring has been liquidated and bought up by BioWare for NWN2: Steets of Barrels.

Whipporowill

Erudite
To get back on subject. It doesn't seem to have been distributed all that well yet... I found it imported in limited stock at two places when checking yesterday. The day before that only one of the places listed it. Will be getting it soon.

ecliptic

Liturgist
Unfortunately my sad little computer played it horribly. I couldn't take more than about 15 minutes of the demo because the frame rate was so poor. -sigh- Need a new pc.

Fireblade

Erudite
ecliptic said:
Unfortunately my sad little computer played it horribly. I couldn't take more than about 15 minutes of the demo because the frame rate was so poor. -sigh- Need a new pc.

Wow, must have something really ancient if you're having frame rate problems with a primarily 2D game like BD...

Human Shield

Augur
I think the cop-bubby team-up was an excellent idea for a fantasy game but I'm not sure how the gameplay turned out.

It's a pretty damn fun game, but not without its problems. It's got a serious "indie" vibe to it that I really like... and the skill system is pretty cool too.

And--best of all--it's not generic fantasy. Reason enough to buy it right there, imo.

Fireblade

Erudite
undead dolphin hacker said:
It's a pretty damn fun game, but not without its problems. It's got a serious "indie" vibe to it that I really like... and the skill system is pretty cool too.

And--best of all--it's not generic fantasy. Reason enough to buy it right there, imo.

Supposed to be a new patch within the next "couple days" (according to Larian) that fixes most of the glaring bugs...

Ortchel

Liturgist
Wow, must have something really ancient if you're having frame rate problems with a primarily 2D game like BD...

Well, on my p4 1.5ghz machine (which I assume isn't completely ancient yet) I had frame rate problems as well. I assume it's because the engine wasn't designed to handle 3D models .. But thats just speculation.

Fireblade

Erudite
Ortchel said:

Well, on my p4 1.5ghz machine (which I assume isn't completely ancient yet) I had frame rate problems as well. I assume it's because the engine wasn't designed to handle 3D models .. But thats just speculation.

I think there's a bug some people are running into that causes extremely slow play (and lockups etc) regardless of what your system is. Dunno if it's fixed in the patch coming out this week or not. Lot of people talking about it on the BD msg boards...

ecliptic

Liturgist
Fireblade said:
ecliptic said:

Yarr, it was pretty nice when I came to college four years ago. No $$$ though. DD ran great though. Loved the hell out of that one, even though I just uninstalled it about halfway through the last chapter. booooorrrrrriiiiiinnnnnngggggg

magerette

Novice
yeah sometimes 100+ hours of gameplay is not a good thing.( the first 60 were pretty kickass,however.)

DIPthong

Novice
New patch, same crashes...dammit...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom