Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Beyond a Steel Sky - sequel to Beneath a Steel Sky from Revolution Software

FeelTheRads

Arcane
The funny thing is each time I say bad things about BASS, it immediately invites a good number of negative ratings, but also each time nobody ever tries to come actually come to its defence. Or better yet, when I try to actively ask for the game's supposed brilliant aspects, I either get no response, or 'b-but teh graphix!'

To this day I still have no idea what people see in this game. And at this rate I will probably never learn.

Been a long time since I played it, but as I remember it was funny, Joey was a cool companion, setting was cool and I think it had some fun puzzles.

It's probably overrated, but if you're asking about why people are so defensive of it I'd ask why you're so butthurt about it that you have to keep saying "bad things" about it. It's not like it's some Oblivion or some other harbinger of decline. Just because some people hold it dear doesn't seem to be reason enough to go "ha, this game is shit! lol why u rate me bad for my opinian lmao". At least not more than once.
Looks more like a typical case of just hating something because it has some cult status (as much as this has a cult status, more like a barely existent cult), like the random retards that show up here from time to time and go "haha why u liek planescape its not really a great game ahahaha" and then cry that they get called retards.

How about being butthurt about something like Full Throttle instead? Well, actually I don't know if you are not. Maybe you are. But that is actually a really bad adventure game, with only its style holding it up while having a much bigger cult than BASS ever had.

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
It has been a long time since I played Full Throttle, but I always admired it as probably the only adventure game that credibly depicted a protagonist who wasn't a dork. Other adventures have non-dork protagonists, but when the player is controlling them, they behave like dorks. Not so in Full Throttle. (I often juxtapose Full Throttle and Gemini Rue in this regard; in Gemini Rue you are supposed to be much more of a tough guy than in Full Throttle, and it even copies FT with the "kick" verb, but in practice you're a groveling kleptomaniac coward just like every other adventure game protagonist except during scripted combat sequences.)

WallaceChambers

Learned
4 out of 5 star review from Adventure Gamers.

Excerpt from AG review said:
Those admittedly minor polish issues aside, Beyond a Steel Sky succeeds so well because it balances the importance of creating a contemporary adventure game that looks and sounds sufficiently modern with the need to appeal to fans of the franchise. This sequel consistently references events from its predecessor, brings back supporting characters in surprising ways, and features one particular return to one of the most memorable areas from the original, complete with an updated version of the distinctive background music. I can’t even find words to describe my joy in playing that sequence, returning to a perfectly new version of a place I never thought I’d go back to. I never wanted to leave.

Indeed, that was my general impression playing through this game, which is likely to take 10-12 hours for most players: I didn’t want to leave. I had a story to finish and a review to write but, even though this is a linear game without side quests or a vast open world to explore, I just wanted to keep walking around, looking up at the majestic city surrounding me, reading the comic speech bubbles of NPCs walking past each other, looking at the holo-adverts, and listening to all the d-RYDs making their announcements. And it’s worth taking the extra time, as there are little touches throughout that can easily be missed, such as gaining access to Graham Grundy’s personal terminal and emails, which add all kinds of humorous color and interesting details about his life and personality, none of which are necessary to complete the game. Despite the underlying troubles that make this seeming utopia subtly ominous, it is a beautiful and immersive world, fully realized once again with impressive attention paid to the details. This isn’t a long game by modern AAA game standards, but it’s one I would have been happy to spend double the amount of time in, even though I likely saw and interacted with nearly everything available.

It’s hard to put a numeric score onto something that brings you personal joy, even for someone who’s been writing reviews for two decades. There’s no question that Beyond a Steel Sky isn’t perfect due to its lack of puzzle diversity and technical polish issues, and while the story is compelling, it doesn’t reach the heights of the first game’s. Yet for a jaded old gamer who holds the original in such high regard, this long-awaited return was largely an overwhelming blast of joy, a delightful second visit to one of the best settings ever created in the genre, at a time in our own world when I most needed something to be joyful about. The sequel balances nostalgia with modern sensibility, reuniting many timeless characters from 1994 with an array of new ones, each unique and flawlessly acted. And even during the most unsettling and even tragic moments, I found myself smiling and wanting to give this game a hug. Your mileage may vary if you have no knowledge of or affection for Beneath a Steel Sky (though since the game is free to download, there’s no reason not to check it out), but for everyone else, I can assure you that twenty-six years later, the return to Union City is worth every bit of the wait.

Last edited by a moderator:

Curratum

It also looks like the blandest, dullest most inexplicably tagged "point and click" adventure on Steam.

Boleskine

Arcane
Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
It seems odd to imagine someone old enough to have played a demo on a diskette, but clueless enough not to solve the first puzzle. (The first puzzle is to take a crowbar and use it to open a closed door in a single room where there is only one item to get and only one hotspot to use it on.)

WallaceChambers

Learned
I'm playing it and enjoying it so far. The story hasn't really progressed far enough for me to comment on it meaningfully but the game looks really nice on max settings and the characters have the same sort of personality to them that I expect from Rev games. They're fun to interact with. It also hasn't been very buggy so far. The worst I got was a some dropped lines of dialogue in a cutscene. So fingers crossed it stays that way.

There are definitely a lot of janky animations, though. They're improved over the preview videos but the facial expressions in particular are still weird semi-frequently.

As of right now my impression is that the game is wanting for some polish but it seems well made overall.

It seems odd to imagine someone old enough to have played a demo on a diskette, but clueless enough not to solve the first puzzle. (The first puzzle is to take a crowbar and use it to open a closed door in a single room where there is only one item to get and only one hotspot to use it on.)

I think the anecdote suggests she was young when she played it.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I think the anecdote suggests she was young when she played it.
Could be. Fairly confident my kids could've handled it at age 5 or so, given their other adventure game performance, but I wouldn't have wasted their time on BASS, which is not really a good children's game anyway. So if she was an elementary schooler, she probably did well to quit.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
The funny thing is each time I say bad things about BASS, it immediately invites a good number of negative ratings, but also each time nobody ever tries to come actually come to its defence. Or better yet, when I try to actively ask for the game's supposed brilliant aspects, I either get no response, or 'b-but teh graphix!'

It was easy to pirate, so it's often one of the first adventure games many people had played.

I imagine it's also a game that many used a walk-through to complete. So most players probably had a short but sweet experience with it.

It had decent enough world-building, an okay story, probably really good sound design for the time, art design that varied from okay to great and to top it off, a good dose of darkish humour.

Longes

Augur
This game is surprisingly good.

It starts out really, really bad. Like the first 10 minutes of it are just awful. You get a cutscene that is functional to the extreme, using 5 minutes to recap the events of the first game, recap the protagonist's backstory, recap who Joey is, setup the setting and setup the plot. It's a terrible cutscene. Then you get into the 3d, and the game fucking narrates exactly what happens on the screen.

But then you get into the first real area, and it's actually good. The writing stops being expository overload and picks up the charm, Foster is a pleasant and likeable person who's good with kids, and it just all gets better.
The worst jank I've had so far is occasional sequence breaking, where characters start talking about things I haven't seen or done yet.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Been playing for about 5 hours. This game is really cool so far. I didn't mind the opening cutscene at all unlike the previous poster did. I enjoyed them actually. It was very much in the comic style of the original game's opening cut scenes. The game so far is much better than I expected considering it was associated with apple and considering the crappy previews.

It feels like one of the better telltale games but with some actual fun puzzles and larger environments. The puzzles are not too complicated or difficult so far but they are also not braindead. The presentation/graphics/sound/voice/music is all very well put together so far. Looks great in 4k and runs well. It also seems very loyal to the original game so far, although I only played through the original once about a decade ago.

If you enjoyed something like wolf among us or the batman telltale games, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. It feels like one of those, but with more emphasis on actual puzzles than phony "he will remember that" c&c. You'll probably like this game more if you felt those games were lacking in gameplay. I like the amount of dialogue and I like that you can keep asking about topics and get more information. I think the hacking mechanic is cool and it's funny to cause havoc in the city.

So far I have not seen any "woke" or SJW agenda either, which is refreshing. The game also has a more positive vibe than the first one, the city is less dystopian (although still big brother/creepy in a different way). But that makes sense considering the ending of the first game.

Also, there is an option to turn off hints in options. I do not know what the hints are, but I turned them off before I started playing and I think it was probably the right decision.

Last edited:

Boleskine

Arcane
Some BTS discussion on the development here:

edit - I missed Infinitron's post above.

Last edited:

Slaver1

Savant
The visuals for this are downright amazing at times. Stellar cartoon art direction. This is a genuine AAA adventure game and its tone harkens quite safely back to the comfy good old days of Sierra/Lucasarts adventure games. Thoroughly impressed TBH.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
So, I've beaten the game. It's ok. Definitely better than the Telltale stuff. I would not say that the game is that much like it. There is no qte, no fake choice and consequences, no time limit for choosing a dialogue option, no fake reputation system. It's much more like the old graphic adventure games. Although, of course, it's not as good and complex as the best of them. I'd say the game is somewhat similar to the original Dreamfall (not Chapters), but with bigger locations.

I didn't particularly enjoy the dialogues and writing in general, but they are serviceable at least. The plot itself and the conclusion are OKish. The basic idea here is that even if technocrats have good intentions, any their attempt to build a utopian society of absolute well-being based on planning, total calculation and indoctrination still leads to gulags, commissars, brainwashing, suicides, wars, and ultimately to the absence of any well-being. That is, it is more a story about a leftist digital gulag than about the terrible right-wing white religious conservative fascist misogynists.

Longes

Augur
So, I've beaten the game. It's ok. Definitely better than the Telltale stuff. I would not say that the game is that much like it. There is no qte, no fake choice and consequences, no time limit for choosing a dialogue option, no fake reputation system. It's much more like the old graphic adventure games. Although, of course, it's not as good and complex as the best of them. I'd say the game is somewhat similar to the original Dreamfall (not Chapters), but with bigger locations.

I didn't particularly enjoy the dialogues and writing in general, but they are serviceable at least. The plot itself and the conclusion are OKish. The basic idea here is that even if technocrats have good intentions, any their attempt to build a utopian society of absolute well-being based on planning, total calculation and indoctrination still leads to gulags, commissars, brainwashing, suicides, wars, and ultimately to the absence of any well-being. That is, it is more a story about a leftist digital gulag than about the terrible right-wing white religious conservative fascist misogynists.
My takeaway for the message was that abstract "machine technocracy" is not a viable solution. If you put an almighty idiot in charge and tell him "make things good", the resulting "good" may not fit a lot of standards for "good". Joey, unusually for a dystopian dictator, isn't a corrupt power monger. He's just a shitty robot doing his best with an incredibly vague command he's been given.

RapineDel

Augur
I just finished it and enjoyed it. My expectations were basically zero so it exceeded those by just being a competent adventure game with no real silly, weird game play sequences that would be out of place in an older point and click.

The 3D stuff is definitely a bit janky at times, I started many conversations where Foster would begin the convo facing the opposite direction of the person he was talking too but the visuals overall were surprisingly good (the background of the City actually looks great) although a few of the locations felt a bit samey, the area where the Aspiration Day happens for example could have done with looking a bit more unique compared to the Cafe/Museum outside area.

Revolution Software have never really been amazing puzzle designers IMO. The strength of Broken Sword for me isn't in puzzles but more so good characters, locations and an interesting plot that keeps me engaged. For the most part this game has that. I think the game would have been better though if there was more of a balance between traditional puzzles and using that electronic device to move commands around. It's not too bad but eventually you reach a stage where 90% of puzzles are solved with that, the other 10% with the crowbar.

I kept hearing that the game felt apart in the last hour but I thought it tied things back to the first game pretty well although I was hoping we'd see Foster rebuild little Joey's circuit board somehow at the end.

Overall I'd say this is a good game game by modern adventure game standards, ordinary when comparing it to the old ones. Just to have something like this come out with no weird episodic stuff, it's genuinely a full length game, no over the top gimmicks etc. is a win in my book.

Origin

Augur
Finished it. Nice game, has soul but pretty short for genre standards. Atmosphere wise it's like a time capsule from 90s, serves as a good distraction from these bleak times.

When you start the game at the gates of Utopia city, it sets you to believe something big awaits you after you enter the city, but it's just 2 or 3 small maps.

So I got the feeling they did many cuts, especially in terms of world realization and scope of hacking mechanics. Both the mechanics and the world have much more potential than what is explored in the campaign.

All the resources and talent they've put into creation of such a small game with many cool but underutilized mechanics are kinda wasted imo, as they could've finished this much earlier on a less robust engine. I assume they had many problems during development, as this feels like a 2 year project at most for experienced small to mid-size studio.

I encountered only a couple of bugs, which are manageable without restarting the game.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom