Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Beyond a Steel Sky - sequel to Beneath a Steel Sky from Revolution Software

jac8awol

Arbiter
It's not cyberpunk? Ok, just going on how the developers describe their own game on the Steam page.
If mass murder of civilians by AI controlled corporate security teams is your idea of Jar Jar, I would have loved to see your Star Wars.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
you should try playing bass past the introduction some time

daily reminder

bass2.jpg

bass3.jpg

jac8awol

Arbiter
Having played past the intro, you should also be able to recognize that the visuals of this new effort are too clean, bright and utopian. The voice-over even remarks how different the city looks. If this is setting us up for a big reveal later, I could buy into that, but I don't think that's what we're going to get. The feeling of industrial decay was a big part of the ambiance in the first game.
Then we have blowing up tribals vs beating them with stun batons. They're pulling punches, it feels phony.

Also, wise-cracking wry humour is not the same as slapstick idiocy. I would have preferred they stuck to the former.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Also, wise-cracking wry humour is not the same as slapstick idiocy. I would have preferred they stuck to the former.

bass2.jpg

bass3.jpg

such non-slapstick wry humour

jac8awol

Arbiter
If you can't see the tonal differences between the original and the story trailer, it's not me who's the one being myopic.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Sure, the differences are there. But it is you who refuses to acknowledge that BASS was already fucking stupid to begin with.

jac8awol

Arbiter
Excellent, now we have entered the realms of civilized discussion. And I don't deny that BASS was fucking stupid. It is just that I, a gentleman of refined taste, just take exception to the altered direction of this newer brand of fucking stupid. I weep for the absence of distinguished fucking stupid.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think it's sort of brave that they're making a game that's an actual sequel as opposed to finding an excuse to rehash the same themes. Joey is in control of Union City now, the good guys won, so yeah things are going to look nicer. And yet there's something going on underneath the surface.

Last edited:

jac8awol

Arbiter
Absolutely. Brave, or foolish. Will they hit the right notes while breaking new ground? All sizzle, no steak? Well I'm just idly speculating, expressing my disappointment with the story trailer in an obtuse way. As always, I'd love to be proven wrong by the final product.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Official trailer release:

Coming to Apple Arcade & Steam - Beyond A Steel Sky is a dramatic, humorous, cyberpunk thriller in which engaging puzzles drive a fast-paced and dynamic narrative.
From Charles Cecil, creator of the Broken Sword series, with art direction by Dave Gibbons, legendary comic book artist behind ‘Watchmen’, comes 'Beyond a Steel Sky’, the long awaited sequel to the cult classic ‘Beneath a Steel Sky’.

You are Robert Foster. A child has been abducted in a brutal attack. You have vowed to bring him home. But the trail has led you to Union City.
Fortified and impenetrable, it is a utopia in which people live happily under the surveillance and control of a benign AI. But all is far from what it seems...

WallaceChambers

Learned
Having played past the intro, you should also be able to recognize that the visuals of this new effort are too clean, bright and utopian. The voice-over even remarks how different the city looks. If this is setting us up for a big reveal later, I could buy into that, but I don't think that's what we're going to get. The feeling of industrial decay was a big part of the ambiance in the first game.
Then we have blowing up tribals vs beating them with stun batons. They're pulling punches, it feels phony.

Charles Cecil has said in interviews that Union City's new look is a facade for more sinister authoritarian goings on beneath the surface. It's about the kind of faux Utopian society a benevolent A.I that lacks humanity would create.

Also, BaSS wasn't all wise cracking wry humor. There was full blown slapstick idiocy. You launch a dog into a pool with a wooden plank, the doctor performing open heart surgery on a lucid patient, selling your balls to said doctor, the whole court scene, etc. Yeah, Joey made wise cracks throughout but a lot of the humor was way more over-the-top than that.

WallaceChambers

Learned
Revolution's trailers for this game could really be better. As a "character intro" trailer this really wouldn't tell you much about Robert if you're not already familiar with the character. Have some narration and give some concrete detail for new viewers.

At least this does confirm that they're polishing animations from the Gamespot gameplay preview. The part when Foster gets his ID implanted is vastly improved. Hand doesn't clip anymore, actual expression on the close up, added flashing light & reaction. I'm hoping they wont put the game out until everything else is brought up to that quality.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Meet Joey: THE GAP CHAPS ARE BACK!
The lovable robot is back, but what happened to Joey since Foster left? How much can a robot really change? And who gave him that sick beanie?!
Find out..

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Release in June 26 for Apple Arcade, July for PC.

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/pres...Arcade_tomorrow_with_PC_to_follow_in_July.php

Return to Union City: Revolution Software’s cyberpunk adventure ‘Beyond a Steel Sky’ hits Apple Arcade tomorrow with PC to follow in July

York, 25th June 2020 - ‬Revolution Software is excited to announce Beyond a Steel Sky - the long-awaited follow-up to classic ‘90s dystopian cyberpunk adventure Beneath a Steel Sky - is available tomorrow on Apple Arcade. The game will also launch on Steam in July.

To view the latest Apple Arcade launch trailer for Beyond a Steel Sky, please visit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrkN1IaJXuA&feature=youtu.be

Tapping up the talents of legendary comic book artist Dave Gibbons (co-creator and artist behind seminal graphic novel Watchmen) once more, Revolution’s Beyond a Steel Sky gives players the opportunity to take their first steps inside Union City for the first time since dystopian cyberpunk adventure Beneath a Steel Sky back in 1994.

Beyond a Steel Sky stands as a thrilling story of loyalty and redemption set in an eery and terrifying world of AI-driven social controls. As can be expected of a Revolution adventure, the tale is woven with the studio's signature humour, supported by Gibbons' acclaimed artistic style.

“I am so pleased to have had the opportunity to team up with Dave Gibbons again and take Robert Foster back to Union City after all these years.” says Charles Cecil, Founder and CEO of Revolution Software”. This is an adventure game that should prove just as welcoming to newcomers as it does those loyal gamers who took on the original 26 years ago. We are particularly thrilled to be leading on Apple Arcade - with the PC version debuting on Steam shortly.

“Revolution has built an excellent reputation for writing intelligent adventure games that combine high drama with humor - leaving players not sure whether to laugh, gasp or both,” says Dave Gibbons. “ I am thrilled with how Beyond a Steel Sky has turned out - it surpasses my expectations in every way”.

Beyond a Steel Sky is a hugely ambitious adventure in which intelligent, humorous emergent gameplay drives an edgy narrative. Very much an adventure, the game is set in a dynamic world that will respond to – and be subverted by – the player’s actions. The game characters, driven by advanced AI tech, are willful and motivated: their intelligent responses allow interesting, emergent solutions to puzzles and obstacles. The culmination of Revolution’s 30 years of developing adventure games, Beyond a Steel Sky evolves and redefines the adventure genre.

It's a project that's been on the minds of both Cecil and Gibbons for many years, but one they felt needed the right real world moment to do it justice.

Beyond a Steel Sky features:

• A unique, rich game experience interwoven with a deep narrative.

• A story that enables players to meaningfully effect and subvert the gameworld and its characters.

• Elegantly simple, intuitive controls that allow complex situations to emerge, offering a gameplay experience that will appeal to the novice as well as the experienced gamer.

• Custom-written cutting-edge graphics technology delivers a beautiful, realtime, comic-book-styled world in HDR & 4K to complement the artwork of Dave Gibbons.

• Original motion comic book created by Dave Gibbons.

Beyond a Steel Sky is available on Apple Arcade from tomorrow. It will also launch on Steam in July

Assets can be downloaded from: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FWLKt3J6ekHSS-9qduHA_lQ8NnUvZI9p

For the latest news on Revolution and Beyond a Steel Sky, please visit:

AngryKobold

Arcane
The original game was self- contained. There's no content left for the sequel.

Everything they can reuse from the original is the title, main character and several cameos of oh so important :) NPCs from BASS. That itself is enough to expect Milking the Nostalgia: the game.

Now combine it with current conditions: severe mental degeneracy of "writers" and trend for political censorship. A recipe for fan fiction of questionable quality. And that's the best case scenario.

The preview material posted by Infinitron suggests something even dumber than I would ever expect: retelling of the same story. Just look at this:

Union City may not quite be as nice a place as when he left it under the control of a "benevolent" AI. The machine has, in fact, taken things a little too literally, and Union City is now something of a controlling, 1984- style society

I was certain BASS established following facts:
1. Union City was NOT nice
2. UC WAS oppressive
3. UC WAS supervised by LITERAL EVIL AI
4. There was suggested some incline after AI is left under control of a artificial being devoid of human flaws.

Now, if the story is again about evil AI, I see no other option but retelling with a mix of modern degeneracy. And oh, it's 3D now, you may look around freely.

Great fucking job.

:bravo:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
No, I don't think it's going to be straight evil and oppressive this time. And it's funny that your criticism is the exact opposite of jac8awol's. But we'll find out tomorrow!

AngryKobold

Arcane
Just noticed this:

Meet Joey: THE GAP CHAPS ARE BACK!
The lovable robot is back, but what happened to Joey since Foster left? How much can a robot really change? And who gave him that sick beanie?!
Find out..

Now my bet is on soft reboot for modern audience. Keeping old props, no dark humor, no grim stuff, everything toned down. The former evil AI issued orders to kill, the new AI orders to jail junkies or something just as "oppressive". Won't be surprised if that is the main idea for "sequel".

Yeah, we will see tomorrow. I'm sooooo excited.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I wonder what the financial incentive for exclusive release on apple's platform was? Either way, I expect this version to be buggy and for them to use the extra cash from apple to focus even more on bug fixing. This is an Epic-lite strategy.

AngryKobold

Arcane
A Bioware / Mass Effect Andromeda level of crap execution. It's so fucking bad I am speechless.

20:05 - 20:30

28:58 - 29:10

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom