Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Beyond Divinity, strategy guides, and immersion

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Beyond Divinity; Larian Studios

What do they all have in common, you ask? I have no clue, but <a href=http://www.gamesindustry.biz/press_release.php?aid=6041>apparently</a>, strategy guides have become a new tool for total immersion. Not shiny graphics, not engaging stories, but guides. Go figure.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Hip GamesTM, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Hip Interactive Corp, today announced the release of a new strategy guide for the RPG "Beyond Divinity." Released by Beyond Divinity-fans, the guide can be downloaded at www.locusinn.com
<br>
<br>
<u>The new strategy guide will allow gamers to totally immerse themselves into the game like never before</u> with detailed descriptions of all quests, skills, items, creatures, and even in-game mathematics.
<br>
<br>
"'Beyond Divinity' has already received tremendous success since its release," commented Peter Thomas, director of publishing for Hip Games. "The new strategy guide will allow current players to forge an even stronger attachment to the game while also attracting new players as well." </blockquote>
<br>
So, from now on instead of using SPOILERS! to mark some posts, use TOTAL IMMERSHUN!!!
<br>

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
Well I do appreciate the fact that it has some of the behind the scenes mathematics in the guide. I've always been very frustrated with games that have skill and attribute points that you can't really figure out how it relates to success or failure in the game. If I increase my intelligence, how exactly does that help me in the game? I think that aspect of the guide at least helps people have a more enjoyable time playing the game. That's probably one of the things I like about D&D games, especially those from Bioware. The system is transparent. You can actually figure out what you want, instead of guessing wrong and being completely frustrated.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
dojoteef said:
Well I do appreciate the fact that it has some of the behind the scenes mathematics in the guide.
I agree, but I think that such things should be in the manual.

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
I agree that they should be in the manual as well, but since they weren't in this case I think the guide at least does something good.

Vival

Augur
Chances are that the guide is indeed more immersive than this shitty game.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Writing a good and immersive strategy guide for Beyond Divinity is like designing an elaborate character with a background history for Dungeon Siege: fucking pointless.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom