Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Beyond Divinity wrap report at RPG Vault

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Beyond Divinity; Larian Studios

<a href=http://rpgvault.ign.com>RPG Vault</a> posted <a href=http://www.beyond-divinity.com>Beyond Divinity</a>'s <a href=http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/521/521140p1.html>wrap report</a> featuring a lot of interesting info. For example, did you know that originally <a href=http://www.beyond-divinity.com>Beyond Divinity</a> had turn-based combat? Aren't you glad that they've had the wisdom to replace it with that crappy "tactical" RT mode? Also, if you were wondering about dialogues, that's because of the limited word count, the best game ruining tool publishers' greed has ever created. Anyway...
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>Lessons Learned:</b>
<br>
1) We learned (again) a lot about process and how to develop such a complex piece of software as an RPG with limited means. We have applied these lessons to an as of yet unannounced project, and have seen vast improvement in the development process.
<br>

<br>
2) We learned a lot about this industry and how distribution works. In that sense, we totally achieved our goal.
<br>
<br>
3) We learned a lot about accessibility. Beyond Divinity is not very accessible as a game, and that's a mistake we won't make again. I'm not talking purely about things like the interface, but also about things like people preferring bright environments over dark... </blockquote>They haven't learned much, have they?
<br>

Spazmo

Erudite
My favourite thing about BeyDiv having been released is that now we won't get those damn RPG Vault Peek of the Week articles that explain in excruciating detail how new technologies enable the Larian team to better render giant mushrooms and whatnot.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Yep, those were extremely annoying, boring, and, considering that the game sucked in the graphic department, stupid. I wish they spent all these efforts on making better gameplay instead.

Nightjed

Liturgist
i wonder if they learned to not hype the worst parts of their games like the graphics or the "random" thing
as for the interface they got enough feedback to change it when they released the demo and they still pulled a lionheart ("the demo does not reflect the actual game, its actually better! yeah! really! boobs i tell you, boobs!")

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I haven't played the full game so I can't really comment on the story. I just hope that Terry Pratchett's writing gene was passed along to his daughter.

How crass am I?

I doubt it, and what the hell were they thinking. Why didn't they get the main man himself. They would have traded enough off his name to offset the cost of paying him, then would have had a non-discworld pratchett property which judging by his non-disc books would no doubt have been great.

But no , they got his daughter. Thats like forgetting about george bush snr. and electing his son.... oh wait.....

Fez

Erudite
Most the writing was OK in BD, but it was the voice acting that managed to ruin any possible moments to shine. Anyone that actually put up with the deathknight and his awful constipated voice for the full "100 hours of gameplay" deserves a medal. Though after playing the game that, along with the graphics, are the least of their worries.

The novella that some people got with the game is supposed to be good, I'll see if I can get a chance to read it and see if the gene has been passed on.

Stark

Liturgist
I just hope that Terry Pratchett's writing gene was passed along to his daughter.

what's up Exitium? Terry Prachett fallen ill or something? :shock:

Sol Invictus

Erudite
No Stark, that wasn't what I meant.

I meant that I hope that his daughter can write as well as him because she wrote part of the plot to Beyond Divinity (which I have not yet played).

p.s. Death, if you're reading this, could you just switch Terry Pratchett's lifetimer for Rincewind's? If all else fails, I wouldn't mind reading books written by a Zombie Pratchett.

Stark

Liturgist
phew... for a moment i tot...

didn't know it's Terry's daughter who wrote part of the plot for BD though. So misunderstood your sentence.

suibhne

Erudite
StraitLacedDeviant said:
But no , they got his daughter. Thats like forgetting about george bush snr. and electing his son.... oh wait.....

Unfortunately, we didn't forget either of them. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom