Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Beyond Good & Evil 2

Black

Arcane
Christ, was Unisoft really that afraid of making a new IP for their Scam Citizen/NMS clone?
Why would they, see how many here fell for the "it's totally BG&E guys, promise!" ruse.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I sense a lot of open and empty worlds. Repeated generic trash like most recent Ubi games.

Explorerbc

Arcane
Yeah, exploring entire planets seamlessly sounds cool but there is no way they can fill them up with handcrafted stuff.

I'm not really sure how they think they can pull it off, unless there are only 1-2 cities per planet and the rest of the terrain is just empty landscapes.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
I sense a lot of open and empty worlds. Repeated generic trash like most recent Ubi games.

Sounded to me like there'd be 3 planets, home, satelite and the big ringed one.

I hope they go for this and not go overboard with boring xy amount of planets.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm not really sure how they think they can pull it off, unless there are only 1-2 cities per planet and the rest of the terrain is just empty landscapes.

The problem is not that it would be empty landscapes, the real issue is how large and complex the urban centers will be.
If each planet would have at least one city as large as five Novigrads from Witcher 3, that would be enough. And each city with its own flavor and artistic style.
The rest of the planets would be there to convey the sense of freedom and the sense of lack of immediate boundaries.
Also fun and not retarded dialogue, plot and quests are majorly more important than the problem of big empty planets.

Another perk of big 3D rendered planets is that the designers could hide quest locations with a very low probability for the player to stumble upon their locations beforehand.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-12-07-beyond-good-and-evil-2-characters-ships-story-detailed

Beyond Good & Evil 2 characters, ships, story detailed
"Who is Jade? She's very mysterious."

Ubisoft has revealed new characters, spaceships and story details from Beyond Good & Evil 2 in a just-finished livestream.

The discussion was led by Beyond Good & Evil creator and creative director Michel Ancel, alongside senior producer Guillaume Brunier and narrative director Gabrielle Shrager.

Over the hour-long livestream the team showed off a gallery of new animal hybrid character concept art, and then a working in-engine 3D model system which lets the team create animals of various hybrid qualities - a bit tiger, a bit elephant, a bit male, a bit female, a bit large, a bit small, and so forth.

jpg

jpg

jpg

Hybrid animal concept art, and in-engine creation tool.

There was also a showcase of spaceships in all shapes and sizes which can be heavily modified.

jpg

jpg

jpg

jpg

Vehicle concept art.

On the game in general, Ancel confirmed it can be played in single-player, but the team wanted to invite you to play it with friends.

"A part of the story will be the story you tell as you meet and play with friends," Brunier chipped in, then added there will of course be traditional narrative-lead stories "with a beginning, middle and end, with strong characters, which will emotional".

Ancel referenced a storyline concerning sweary chimp Knox where you can go to his planet and meet his family. They will look like him, Ancel said, because of the game engine's ability to create animal hybrid characters which look like others - which share "DNA".

The engine's other big focus is for it to support your seamless transition from a small teahouse in a city somewhere "where you can drink a cup of tea to a giant spaceship in space" - as shown in the game's E3 trailer.

jpg

jpg

jpg

Location concept art.

"Since E3 the team almost tripled in size," Brunier continued. "We received a great reception. We need more and more people to make the thing happen, so the focus right now is for more people to join. And the main focus for people on the team [currently] is to build a real, vibrant city for people to explore."

That city is the one seen in the game's E3 trailer.

The livestream concluded with a fan Q&A session. First up, was a question on whether BG&E2 being a prequel had always been the plan. (It had not.)

"The first idea for BG&E was to make three games, a trilogy," Ancel answered. "But when we started thinking about the next game we thought the [series'] world was so big, so dense it would be a shame to not talk about its origins. Who is Jade? She's very mysterious. She has a dark side. We want to go deeper into these things."

Ancel appeared to suggest the series might someday move forwards, past the original BG&E, however: "And will continue going through the episodes, the stories of this world," he added. "But we wanted to start with a prequel."

On having an AI character like the original BG&E's Secundo, Ancel was more definitive. This time around, your crew will help progress the story, rather than chat with a AI helper.

"Secundo was a real character - an AI character - but he existed in the game," Ancel said. "Here we want [to feature] the crew members, the officers, you will meet on your journey. Like Pey'J and Double H. We don't want to force an AI - we want players to meet characters. A bit more digital and a bit less physical."

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
New update: https://bgegame.com/2018/02/01/devs-ask-space-monkeys-3/

Devs Ask Space Monkeys #3
1/02/2018

Question from Michel Ancel, Creative Director

Playing a pirate in Beyond Good & Evil 2 means having, and fighting for, the freedom to carve your own path through the stars.

Q: What types of environments are you looking forward to discovering, exploring and expressing yourselves in, as free pirates in System 3?

Here’s a short list of some of the places we’ve been thinking about—tell us where your imagination takes you, Space Monkeys!

• Secret Pirate lairs on asteroids, spatioports, dormant volcanic craters…
  • Black markets in city slums
  • Treacherous mining operations
  • Lush valleys with sacred temples
  • Legendary treasures hidden in uncharted territories across space
Not a lot of stuff but that pond artwork is great.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The way they're describing this it seems like a lot of procedural generation and not relatively small hand-crafted stuff.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The way they're describing this it seems like a lot of procedural generation and not relatively small hand-crafted stuff.

Procedural generation is not inherently bad: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_using_procedural_generation

The issue is that the method got a bad reputation thanks to Bethesda's brain dead implementation: they just copy pasted dungeons without applying any effort in changing something.

On the other hand I think BGE2 is over-promising and some parts of the game universe will be empty but I'm also sure that they will not release something as retarded as Skyrim.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
It will be shit for certainty!

Thank you for your deep and insightful prediction. Now please fuck off to another thread.
Did i touch a nerve mate? Did i mocked your inner desire to play as a monkey?

I'm literally shaking :)

No dude. Sometimes it's better to shut the fuck up when you don't have anything to say.

Edit: Actually I'm wrong. You are allowed to do whatever you want but if you are trolling at least be funny. Shitting on BGE2 is just lame. Right now it's too soon to say if it will be shit or not. Your "certainty" is just bullshit.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It will be shit for certainty!

Thank you for your deep and insightful prediction. Now please fuck off to another thread.
Did i touch a nerve mate? Did i mocked your inner desire to play as a monkey?

I'm literally shaking :)

No dude. Sometimes it's better to shut the fuck up when you don't have anything to say.

Edit: Actually I'm wrong. You are allowed to do whatever you want but if you are trolling at least be funny. Shitting on BGE2 is just lame. Right now it's too soon to say if it will be shit or not. Your "certainty" is just bullshit.
It is made by Ubisoft....what was the last good game that came from them? Also it is filled with cringy sjw shit,just the obnoxious monkey could open your eyes to how bad it will be. The biggest question for me is,how will we be able to climb towers in spaceship?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom