Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Beyond Good & Evil 2

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

BGE 1 was a fairly tiny and simply game in terms of complexity and scope. Making something in the same vain today would make a giant like Ubisoft look like a joke. It's go big or go home for these studios.

Rayman Origins disagrees.

Big Wrangle

What does this game have to do with BG&E again? I seem to fail to see the connection. Always online killed it anyway, though.
The idea, I think, is the game focusing on the exploits of Jade's mother during the epic space pirate age or something, with the character you create being some along for the ride person. Still think they shouldn't have gotten all online over-ambitious especially in such entry.

ortucis

Prophet
What does this game have to do with BG&E again? I seem to fail to see the connection. Always online killed it anyway, though.

Hell, I don't even remember the first game much. I remember playing it out of nowhere back in school days and it was average.

Years later, suddenly everyone wants a sequel to this "gem" of a game that was SO FUCKING AMAZING and GROUNDBREAKING. And I'm sitting there confused, if I played something else entirely. Cause all I remember is some shitty jet racing on water and a female protagonist with "futuristic" lipstick on game cover. :lol:

While we're at it, UBI exploiting Hindu/Indian stories and myths won't really work considering they have a lot of Muslims working on their team. They'll never be able to NOT go full retard trying to throw in Muslims here and there to ruin it all. Hell, look at FarCry 4, they even managed to fuck that up (Hindu culture but based on Nepal).

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Years later, suddenly everyone wants a sequel to this "gem" of a game that was SO FUCKING AMAZING and GROUNDBREAKING. And I'm sitting there confused, if I played something else entirely.

My reactions have been similar, except that I played it fairly recently (like 3 years ago?), so I'm even more puzzled. I also remember the game getting straight out 9-10/10 everywhere when it came out, but in practice it's just a good action-adventure and not much else.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's a fun world and the story is a campy conspiracy you unravel. The authorities being in on it is a classic case of our supposed "betters" being more wicked and degenerate than us, de Sade would be proud. On the side, it's a sincere tale about people caring about each other and what they do. It also ends with a cliffhanger where nothing is really explained about the aliens or Jade, so that fuels speculation for years to come, maybe undeservedly. It not getting many sales provoked the underdog sympathy, adding more fuel to the fire.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Near as I can tell it's set in the same universe (narratively speaking). I think they've recently thrown in some reference/connection to Jade at the last minute, though.

ortucis

Prophet
Years later, suddenly everyone wants a sequel to this "gem" of a game that was SO FUCKING AMAZING and GROUNDBREAKING. And I'm sitting there confused, if I played something else entirely.

My reactions have been similar, except that I played it fairly recently (like 3 years ago?), so I'm even more puzzled. I also remember the game getting straight out 9-10/10 everywhere when it came out, but in practice it's just a good action-adventure and not much else.

We all know that gaming journalists would rate anything with a female protagonist 10/10. I guess it was the SJW rating system back then, when nobody was paying attention to slow retardation. I don't even remember much hype for BGE in mags like Computer Gaming World (I could've missed it).

Compared to BGE, I remember games like Slave Zero and Heretic 2 more.. I want sequels for those games. :argh:

Black_Willow

Arcane

Sorry but it's better than Elex.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In

We all know that gaming journalists would rate anything with a female protagonist 10/10. I guess it was the SJW rating system back then, when nobody was paying attention to slow retardation. I don't even remember much hype for BGE in mags like Computer Gaming World (I could've missed it).

Compared to BGE, I remember games like Slave Zero and Heretic 2 more.. I want sequels for those games. :argh:

The first game was even though not stellar in any department incredibly pleasant at all times and was very polished. Those kind of games always gained much favor from the press: see all Zeldas, most Marios, Half-Life 2, Arkham series etc. The game was released 15 years ago, and SJW cancer wasn't half as strong back then.
Rayman 2 has 90% average scores from the press. Not because it was ground-breaking or supporting particular political orientation but because it was pleasant and polished.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
They already showed some very early footage cinematic of "Jade" walking through a space-door inside the ship and casting a "looming and menacing" shadow (literal shadow). They don't reveal her face though so it's probably some fake-out or whatever in an attempt to have Jade do a heel-turn.

Don't know if this will make it to the final game though, this footage is like from 2 years ago.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Oh fuck off with this SJW bullshit. Back in the days we didn't have anything like that. BGE wasn't rated highly because it had a female protagnost. It had a charming world, nice art design, interesting story and basic, but fun gameplay. It was different from the run of the mill games from that era. Just like Psychonauts, which also has a cult following, yet some think that it is a meh game today and don't understand its popularity.

Last edited:

Tehdagah

Arcane
BG&E, together with Psychonauts and Okami, are the trifecta of hisptery gaming. All of them are run of the mill games whose cult status resulted from everything except fun gameplay.

BG&E was so boring, the most fun parts were the mini-games.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
BG&E, together with Psychonauts and Okami, are the trifecta of hisptery gaming. All of them are run of the mill games whose cult status resulted from everything except fun gameplay.

BG&E was so boring, the most fun parts were the mini-games.
>Okami
>run of the mill game
>there is literally no other game like it
>Tehdagah confirmed to be a shitposter.

passerby

Arcane
BG&E was run of the mill console action adventure as far as gameplay goes, but since I had never played one of these before, gameplay was kind of fresh and entertaining to me, even if simple.
But yeah gameplay was not the main reason I was hooked. It's like complaining about shallow run of the mill turn based combat in Fallout.
Also minigames were actually fun in BG&E, true. So, agree with the statement, but still enjoyed them ( didn't play Okami ).

ortucis

Prophet

Oh fuck off with this SJW bullshit. Back in the days we didn't have anything like that. BGE wasn't rated highly because it had a female protagnost. It had a charming world, nice art design, interesting story and basic, but fun gameplay. It was different from the run of the mill games from that era. Just like Psychonauts, which also has a cult following, yet some think that it is a meh game today and don't understand its popularity.

Wow, for something so charming and "interesting", I sure as hell don't remember anything about it.

I can remember other adventure games like Grim Fandango though. Probably cause the generic BGE setting wasn't interesting enough.

Also, LOL@ "back in the day". In 90s gaming mags were still writing SJW articles, only it was more muted cause these people felt ashamed to call themselves "nerds", the same people they openly made fun of. The whole "womyn power" thing was still there, as Jade was compared with Lara Croft and articles in mags would talk how Croft had a "sexist" design while Jade was more progressive.

Your ignorance on the subject doesn't mean the reality was any different. Being a fanboy of an overhyped game doesn't change that.

Vainamoinen

Novice
Multiplayer always-online crapfuckshit. This has zero to do with the predecessor.

Ubisoft is literally worse than Electronic Arts. At least EA doesn't announce a game saying that it won't force you to be online, will focus on story and have an unintrusive multiplayer option in a mainly single player game, hypes up the fans into total nerdgasm, then takes it all back in one fell swoop.

Vivendi should have bought them out and put the CEOs out of a job immediately.

Michel Ancel, meanwhile, seems to have stopped promoting this game. I don't wonder why.

Vainamoinen

Novice
He was used for PR reasons (probably). And the price was his soul + funding for Wild.
One month later, Ancel still hasn't said a word. Honestly, I'd love for him to step up and chastize Ubisoft for its utter crap, but I guess his contract says otherwise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom