Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Bhaalspawn saga fan club

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I'm no longer a fan of the Baldur's Gate series. From now on I can only consider myself a fan of the bhaalspawn saga. What's everyone's favorite thing about the saga? The combat, the writing, it's all good, but what's your favorite?

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
BG1 and BG2 were in an era when disabled people, children, and the elderly were despised (rightly so). Hence, they went for RTwP which requires a bit of attention span, reflexes, and having not too many chromosomes.

People seem to forgot that PNP being turn based was a necessity and the aim was to simulate real life wich is not turn based.

BG1/2 combat was fun.

Sadly, now being the current year and all, they need to gather to the disabled and the console user.

Reality

Learned
I threw my BG 2 manual away because I decided that I was too addicted to reading it and had to so for my health. This was before installation of course.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I decided to quote myself because I feel this is more relevant in this thread

I'm a huge bg2 fan, it's my favorite game. BG2 and age of empires 2 are the two games that I'm passionate about because they not only gave me a ton of enjoyment but they also led me to play other games similar. People may call that nostalgia but both games still have tons of fans today and are still getting things like spiritual sequels or definitive editions so it can't all be nostalgia. Maybe graphics don't stand the test of time but if a game is good it's good and bad graphics won't hold it back. I feel like we have a bunch of people that see these great games and judge them as bad just because they look outdated. Mechanics and writing stand the test of time, human minds aren't becoming that enlightened over time that mechanics just become trash in a 20 year gap. Mechanics are just math, and math still works the same way 20 years later. There's a lot of people that won't even touch old games and that's pretty disappointing to me because once you get past the graphics it's a normal game underneath.

I still remember everyone discussing BG and the great spells that can only be used in combat and how great mage vs mage battles were. I remember everyone planning builds. I remember people trying to solo or Beat the game in interesting ways. I remember people trying out a ton of new builds. Or sharing their builds. Or getting excited over new equipment or items. I remember people sharing strategies for fights and sharing interesting ways to combo spells. I remember people asking a ton of questions on the forum about combat mechanics and game rules instead of just playing on easy mode and ignoring it all. I can't be the only one who sees a contradiction between all those things existing in a game with bad combat. These are all hallmarks of a game with great combat.

Dramart

Learned
BG1 and BG2 were in an era when disabled people, children, and the elderly were despised (rightly so). Hence, they went for RTwP which requires a bit of attention span, reflexes, and having not too many chromosomes.

People seem to forgot that PNP being turn based was a necessity and the aim was to simulate real life wich is not turn based.

BG1/2 combat was fun.

Sadly, now being the current year and all, they need to gather to the disabled and the console user.
I've heard people in BG3 presentation who said they loved what they saw, and they seemed pretty disabled to me, you are too. And TB sure it requires reflexes. Why did you find BG combat fun? Is was because it didn't require intelligence?

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I remember Jaheira being a real one. She's top romance material. She sticks with you through the events of all the games and even abandoned the Harper's for you. That's the type of love we all need in life. She sticks by you and defends you.

Dramart

Learned
I remember Jaheira being a real one. She's top romance material. She sticks with you through the events of all the games and even abandoned the Harper's for you. That's the type of love we all need in life. She sticks by you and defends you.
You know nothing young padawan. Imoen is the best girl.

barghwata

Savant
RTwP which requires a bit of attention span, reflexes

:hmmm:

What is it with this "TB is casual and RTwP is hardcore" narrative that BG fanboys have been pushing lately? i mean what the hell do you mean by "reflexes"? you can pause the game and think for as long as you need for god's sake, not to mention Party AI and behavioural presets that can play the game for you when fighting weaker enemies and the ability to cancel actions while they're underway in case you fuck up (which you can't do in TB so you're forced to think ahead).

As for baldur's gate, i only ever needed to stop and think when fighting bosses... everything else was a snoozfest, on the other hand TB games like KoTC and JA2 kept me focusing the entire time. I am not saying RTwP combat systems are inherently bad or inferior, i am just saying there aren't many example of great ones; the only one i know of is high calibre 7.62, everything else is mediocre at best.

Sykar

Arcane
You're all plebs.

The best romance is this.

I wanted to romance Bodhi! I heard the rumor that it is elvish for booty!

latest

Dat complexion is so säksy!

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron

This is the first thing you've said I disagree with. I hate that bitch. Along with Jan, Nalia, Aerie, Anomen, Minsc, and Valygar. It's also lame that best girl Mazzy wasn't a romance option. I never realized that I hate half the cast until I typed that out. Maybe Bioware's writing wasn't top tier after all. I loved the combat though. D&D spells can be so much fun. Nothing feels better than destroying a huge group of trash mobs with a single fireball. Running around with haste is fun too.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler

This is the first thing you've said I disagree with. I hate that bitch. Along with Jan, Nalia, Aerie, Anomen, Minsc, and Valygar. It's also lame that best girl Mazzy wasn't a romance option. I never realized that I hate half the cast until I typed that out. Maybe Bioware's writing wasn't top tier after all. I loved the combat though. D&D spells can be so much fun. Nothing feels better than destroying a huge group of trash mobs with a single fireball. Running around with haste is fun too.

Mazzy is amazing I agree and I'll always have her on my team but sometimes your feelings aren't reciprocated and you have to move on. Jaheira is the best girl because she will actually return your feelings.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I like Jaheira, but she is a whore. Her romance feels like your aunt having sex with you while your uncle's dead body is still warm in the next room.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom