Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

BioShock: The Collection & Sequel Rumors

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by LESS T_T, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Lord Azlan Arcane Patron Shitposter

Lord Azlan
    Sometimes I wonder why there isn't a half way house forum between RPG Watch and the Codex.

I love all the Shocks like they are my own children. One blew my mind. Two might be in my top five all time. Bio One was just awesome up to A Man Chooses A Slave Obeys. Bio 2 was pretty good too.

Infinite was just lame gaming to a different level.

There are just too many games to play these days.

^ Top  
  2. Multidirectional Arcane

Multidirectional
    I thought Bioshock was pretty awesome in first few levels. Then it gradualy became less exciting as it went on and by the final level I couldn't wait for it to be over. Sometime after that I finally played through System Shock 2. Started liking Bioshock even less. Couldn't even play through half of Bioshock 2 or Infinite.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  3. Leechmonger Arbiter

Leechmonger
    The first Bioshock is guilty of one of the most noticeable drops in quality I've seen in a game. By the time you're playing through the grey apartment complex it's hard to understand why they didn't just cut the shitty parts out.

^ Top  
  4. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Never played it that far, what is considered the shitty parts? And why are they shitty? Curious.

^ Top  
  5. Ovplain Arcane Patron

Ovplain
    RPG Wokedex
    Fired Bioshock 1 up today, I was really excited about it, but then the whole thing went all screwy right off the bat.=( Some disturbing graphics glitches, made me think my monitor was crapping out even. And then the game crashed as soon as I tried to save too. So, I'm done for now.

^ Top  
  6. pippin Guest

pippin
    That's near the end isn't it? The game is really in a downward spiral mode from the get go. I can't say I remember any part that could be described as "great", since it felt samey from start to finish, very linear and without options. It should have ended after you killed Ryan, the boss fight is so fucking ridiculous.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Leechmonger Arbiter

Leechmonger
    Fort Frolic is where things start to get worse, and that's halfway through the game. The next area (Hephaestus) is quite bad, the one after that (Olympus Heights) is atrocious, and I don't even remember the rest because I stopped playing at that point twice out of the 3 times I played the game (I only beat it the first time).

As for what makes them bad: everything. Mechanically the game stops introducing new ideas, so you're using the same weapons against the same enemies in the same way. Visually the areas are unappealing and monotonous. The story's twist has already been revealed and the remaining lore is boring. There's no more fun to be had and yet the game marches on, determined to pad itself out at your expense.

There is one gimmick left for the latter half of the game but it doesn't make up for the tedium you go through.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  8. pippin Guest

pippin
    Well, the game really "stops" in a way when you meet Sander Cohen. The thing that really makes me angry is that you feel forced to hear every audio diary because half of the game is hidden there.

^ Top  
  9. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    I stopped shortly after you encounter Ryan (which I suppose is near the end). Definitely runs out of steam somewhere in the middle.

^ Top  
  10. pippin Guest

pippin
    You missed the last hour of the game. The very end of it contains this:

[​IMG]

:prosper:

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 3
    ^ Top  
  11. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Yeah I watched a playthrough of it before I actually played so I knew the boss fight was terrible.

^ Top  
  12. Admiral Rimjob POOBUM Arcane

Admiral Rimjob POOBUM
    how the fuck did you idiots make five pages of posts about Bioshock in 2016. Go play Templar Battleforce or jerk off or something. Idiots. Faggots. Fuckers

• Brofist x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. TheChickenKing Savant

TheChickenKing
    I've never actually finished Bioshock 1. Same as everybody else, I hit the half-way/two-thirds point with Andrew Ryan getting clubbed to death and then immediately realized in the next level that the only change in "end-game" gameplay is that I wasn't getting getting any new weapons or plasmids, upgrades were boring number boosts, and all of the enemies got inflated health bars instead of any new varieties appearing. I watched a buddy of mine beat the crappy-even-by-low-standards final boss, and I can't say I regret my decision.

I liked 2 quite a bit. Upgrades seemed more meaningful, there was much better enemy variety, and you get to kill mutant communists with a giant drill arm. Not really sure why the "hardcore" BioShock fans really hated it, but I've never understood the cult following mainstream approval that game got in the first place.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  14. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Communists in the second one? I thought the plan was to get rid of all ideologies down there.

I guess where there is people there is :russia:

^ Top  
  15. CyberWhale Arcane

CyberWhale
    Bioshock in a nutshell:

Good: Introduction, Welcome to Rapture, Medical Pavillion
    Bad: ...
    Shit: Everything else

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. adddeed Arcane Possibly Retarded

adddeed
    Bunch of edgelords here. Played the game through twice and was good fun. Bioshock 2 is even better.

^ Top  
  17. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    I liked biocock 1 for what it was. Didn't get to play the second.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. This is the Codex. I'd be horrified if the majority of people here liked Bioshock.

It has plenty of good points, but it doesn't have any depth (ironic considering the setting), and the story is good if you like Ayn Rand (e.g. mentally retarded).

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    I thought the story was cool for what it is (something that happens while you go places and shoop stuff) and I don't know Ayn Rand besides a paragraph or two discribing her book.

^ Top  
  20. Gangrelrumbler Arcane Patron

Gangrelrumbler
    RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
    Didn't like Bioshock that much. The gunplay felt shitty (even compared to SS2 and I played after Bio), the enemies weren't varied enough, the environoments were very similar for the most of the game, the moral choices were laughable and I really coudln't care for the plot, or the characters or anything at all.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Genma:TheDestroyer Arcane

Genma:TheDestroyer
    Eh, I'd dispute that being the dumbest thing.

Oh look a sign;

[​IMG]

That looks a lot like this brand on my hand, the one I just put in view. Oh well.

*Five minutes later*

What's this guy talking about? Beware someone with a symbol on his hand? Everyone here is on the lookout for someone like that? Guess I better do fucking nothing about the one I have swinging out in the open.

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  22. pippin Guest

pippin
    When you arrive to Columbia you don't really know your own face. The hand tattoo is more of a giveaway though.

^ Top  
  23. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/bios...ogys-creation-2k-infinite-bioshock-collection

^ Top  
  24. SumDrunkGuy Arcane Shitposter

SumDrunkGuy
    Bioshock 2 is the only one worth playing.

1 starts off alright but quickly becomes retarded. Infinite starts off retarded and only gets more retarded.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. Great Deceiver Arcane

Great Deceiver
    I played the first one and Infinite, I liked the first one up until the halfway point even though it played like a retarded cousin version of SS2, then the last half of the game was shit padding and it soured me. Infinite was popamole console garbage all the way through and I thought it was complete shit. Never played the second one past the first few minutes, installed this re-release yesterday, let's see how long it lasts. Models are unbelievably ugly, physics are laughably bad and the shooting mechanics are the same joke as ever (console huge crosshair bullshit), but the environments look pretty good. Maybe I'll be able to finish it.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.