Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bioware cliche chart and their response

Ebola1717

Novice
http://hellforge.gameriot.com/blogs/Hel ... iche-Chart
Well, at least Bioware knows that a. it's using the same plot structure over and over and b. they're doing it because "Players can understand it. ...players with more than four things to do at a time in any given area will feel frustrated -- they get overwhelmed and have no idea what to do first and get the names mixed up."

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's missing the bit about a plot twist.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Though their games are original, well-written and fun, [...]

What sort of person goes to the trouble of making a chart of the cliches repeatedly used in a company's games and then describes them as original and well-written? Someone should send him a writing manual and dictionary for Christmas.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Yes, DA:O and ME are two of the best games this decade. Or any decade. Deal with that, SUCKAS!

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
*laughs* Fair enough, but look. I didn't take issue with "fun". I enjoy Bioware's games as well, but I think talking about cliches and tropes that are more or less pervasive throughout most everything they publish makes the "original and well-written" description a bit of a stretch - even if I was kind of a dick in how I put it.

Volourn said:
Yes, DA:O and ME are two of the best games this decade. Or any decade. Deal with that, SUCKAS!

Sorry, no. I am thoroughly enjoying DA:O, but ME was incredibly mediocre, on the verge of bad.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
Volourn said:

Sorry, no. I am thoroughly enjoying DA:O, but ME was incredibly mediocre, on the verge of bad.

Yep I feel the same. ME wasn't a turd but it was bland and mediocre

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
I won't say anything more about DA:O but ME really was a turd.

It was a crappy shooter and a bad RPG. And people can't even say that "modders will fix it" since there's no toolkit.

Multi-headed Cow

Fuck. The Bioware response pisses me off to no end. Even though Dragon Age is the best game they've made in ages, they're defending the worst aspects of it.

"It's a structure, guys! Even though it's blatantly transparent in all of our games that doesn't mean we're using it wrong or are bad writers!"

And don't even get me started on why "Players understand 4 objectives! No more, no less!" is bullshit. Jesus Christ. Sol making kissy faces at the Bioware guy is annoying too. Way to say "Oh, yeah, I'm not saying these are stupid. I'm sorry! Don't be mad at me!".

Now I'm all grumpy.

^Seriously. if it was me, I'd just say that Bio feels like they can write better stories if they organize themselves like that, or they simply like doing it that way, or something. Not "lol ADD kids cant pay attention to more than 4 objectives at once".

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"It was a crappy shooter and a bad RPG"

That's awesome because it wasn't a shooter or an a RPG. It was an Action RPG. And, in many ways, it's better 'rpg' than DA.

Take that, DA LOVERS!

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Volourn said:
"It was a crappy shooter and a bad RPG"

That's awesome because it wasn't a shooter or an a RPG. It was an Action RPG. And, in many ways, it's better 'rpg' than DA.

Take that, DA LOVERS!

Jesus Christ volly I seriously hope you're just an internet persona.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom