Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bioware cliche chart and their response

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Volourn said:
That's awesome because it wasn't a shooter or an a RPG. It was an Action RPG.

Do you think so? Well I better not show you the best Action RPG ever made

Sweet Bloodlines
Hmm sweet Bloodlines
Sweet Bloodlines
YEAH SWEET BLOODLINES

*pe-pew pe-pew pe-pe-pew*

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Bl was a good game. Role-playing was awesome, characters were awesome, writing was awesome. COMBAT WAS ABSOLUTE SHIT!

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's definitely true for me.

I tried playing the X games like 5 times by now, because I really want to enjoy them. It doesn't work.
Once I start in that uber-huge universe with 1000s of thing I could do, I end up having no idea what I want to do.. and just go somewhere doing something, again ending up having no fun at all and stop playing.
You could either say that X has no objectives at all, or too many at once. Go figure...

You can do it much much better, though, as Europa Univeralis shows. The game offers you so many things to do, but is never overwhelming, as it also limits you at the same time. Well, probably overwhelming on the first time playing, but that's about it (IF that is your kind of game).

Basically, you want your player to always know his short-, mid- and long-term goals (of course, those may change) to give him motivation to go on.

Volourn said:
Bl was a good game. Role-playing was awesome, characters were awesome, writing was awesome. COMBAT WAS ABSOLUTE SHIT!

RPG FPP combat is always shit, no exceptions. It was shit in DX and it was shit in Bloodlines. One possible exception is SS2, but even then it was average.

That's why both DX and Bloodlines have stealth and shaenigans to play with. And you do. And you avoid the FPS whenever possible.

What's the problem?

roll-a-die

Magister
Until VtM completly disregards stealth as a game component in the last half of the game leaving you wondering WTF. With the exception of the Steath/hacker side quest of course.

Redeye

Arcane
roll-a-die said:
Until VtM completly disregards stealth as a game component in the last half of the game leaving you wondering WTF. With the exception of the Steath/hacker side quest of course.

I stealthed the Naga temple near end.

Ran out of flamethrower fuel while shooting from behind a vase, then finished off with magnum rounds.

Had to kill very few on way there.

But I see what you mean.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Patrick Weekes sounds awfully butthurt. What a sensitive boy, just like the male romantic interests in Bioware games. Even the toadies at the Bio board are telling him to unclench.

From the comments:

I'd also say that arguably the best Bioware games - PS:T and BG2 - break from the 4-areas design.

Oh, for fuck's sake.

Lesifoere said:
Patrick Weekes sounds awfully butthurt. What a sensitive boy, just like the male romantic interests in Bioware games.

From the comments:

I'd also say that arguably the best Bioware games - PS:T and BG2 - break from the 4-areas design.

Oh, for fuck's sake.

In a few years there'll be about 3 companies that have retroactively been made responsible for 90% of all good games.

"Arcanum was a temporary break from Bethesda's usual design method, but the sequel in development by the developer powerhouse will play more to their strengths. Fans of the original may have an adjustment period when seeing the world through the eyes of their character, but we think it will result in a better experience for it.

Aranum II: Technology's Revolt is due August of 2013."

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Patrick Weekes said:
Humorously snarking that our games have a beginning part that is streamlined and introduces you to the game, a middle that allows you the freedom to go to several places and have adventures, and then a tightly focused ending is like riffing on how romance novels generally start out with two people being attracted to each other but having emotional issues, then gradually building trust, then having a complication that splits them up, and then in the end they get together and are happy.

Isn't he... maybe aware that romance novels are the object of scorn pretty much everywhere? There's a reason many people who actually read that shit try to hide the cover when in public.

Tails

Arbiter
GarfunkeL said:
Now you have it from the mouth of the dev's: Bioware games are on the level with romance novels!
After all, RPG are all about romances you know.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Well, at least they're being honest. Plus, with the romances and the soap-operatic nature of their "stories," it's not too far off the mark.

Lingwe

Liturgist
Yeah, guys, every BioWare game has the same plot! See, things are kind of normal, and then things change and you have to go out and do stuff, and you go to crazy weird places! Aaaaaand so yeah, totally the same story.

That's asinine.

When did asinine go from meaning stubborn/obstinante and start meaning "I don't like what you have said/implied"?

Vibalist

Arcane
Lingwe said:
Yeah, guys, every BioWare game has the same plot! See, things are kind of normal, and then things change and you have to go out and do stuff, and you go to crazy weird places! Aaaaaand so yeah, totally the same story.

That's asinine.

When did asinine go from meaning stubborn/obstinante and start meaning "I don't like what you have said/implied"?

I thought asinine meant stupid.

Liberal

Barely Literate
mediocrepoet said:
Though their games are original, well-written and fun, [...]

What sort of person goes to the trouble of making a chart of the cliches repeatedly used in a company's games and then describes them as original and well-written? Someone should send him a writing manual and dictionary for Christmas.
The kind who is afraid to death of being verbally assaulted by the organization he's trying to criticize. Bioware has turned into a talentless bunch and their arrogant retort is that of wounded mediocrity. Their argumentation:
1. "We're just writing a story like any other!!!"
2. "We're using sophisticated methods to determine how to write our story."
3. "People buy our games!!!"
4. "You can't tell us our games are bad because you're stupid!!!"

MetalCraze

Arcane
Also ban all people who dare to criticize Bioware games or make a separate forum for them - I'M TOO SOFT FOR THIS SHIT

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
MetalCraze said:
Also ban all people who dare to criticize Bioware games or make a separate forum for them - I'M TOO SOFT FOR THIS SHIT

You've cut me with your razor-sharp wit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom