Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview BioWare Defends Changes to Dragon Age II

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age 2

<p><a href="http://www.industrygamers.com/news/bioware-defends-changes-to-dragon-age-ii-plans-to-integrate-feedback-from-core-fans/" target="_blank">Let the good doctor explain</a>:</p>
<blockquote>
<p>"I think there was actually a tremendous number of people that came into the franchise and were delighted. So there were many people who critically thought it was wonderful, and actually a lot of old fans did as well. There&rsquo;s no doubt that there was a polarization though. Maybe some of that can be attributed to some of the fans of Dragon Age: Origins who were maybe expecting a similar experience. But we actually innovated, we took a lot of risk, we were pushing the envelope on how we told the story, the gameplay, the action moments, the graphics - a lot of things were changed. And, actually, I really believe it was the right direction," Muzyka began.<br /><br />"We also recognize that feedback from core fans is incredibly important, so we take that to heart. We&rsquo;re listening to it. We&rsquo;re commercially successful, so we actually drew a lot of new fans in, exceeded our expectations, and what we want to do in the future is make sure we integrate that feedback from our core fans, so they come along with us for the journey, as we continue to build up the Dragon Age franchise and make the next ones even bigger and better so that all of our fans are delighted and surprised. We think we can do that. We can actually take the best of breed features from the original game in Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age II and put them together; and some of the changes we made in Dragon Age II, we were proud of the team. We think they were the right changes. We wanted the team to push in that direction, but we also want to integrate feedback from our core fans because they&rsquo;re really important to us. So I think there&rsquo;s a nice balance that can be struck to achieve that," he added.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/?rwsiteid=1#17853">RPGWatch</a></p>

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
By Tremendous amount of people you mean you sold less then the other game and you had to segregate your forum because PEOPLE where in a blind rage because of hos shit your game was.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DA2 turned out to be a good game, better one than DAO, although lack of isometric camera sucks. Apart from that it's a good game, I like it very much. So changes in general were positive.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Jaesun said:
But we actually innovated, we took a lot of risk, we were pushing the envelope

:lol:

They clogged the toilet with the envelope and all the shit backed up everywhere.

With the amount of damage control Bioware are running it's pretty clear they realize that DA2 was basically the second coming of Daikatana.

catfood

AGAIN
Bioware are terrible at this PR speak. They should get someone like Pete Hines to do their bullshit talk for them.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
rUmfA.jpg

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Let's just face the facts now. BioWare is a maker of Mass Accessible action games to appeal to a broad audience, that may or not contain some vague semblance of "RPG" elements.

EA and BioWare ARE in the business to make game that sell as much as possible (instead of designing a good core game that would not appeal to the masses, ie.. OMG! WHAT DO ALL THESE STATS MEAN?! OMG REDDING IS TEH HARD! OMG WHY CANT I JOIN ALL THE GUILDS! HALP! I CANT FIND Caius Cosades! etc etc...).

When they were not owned by EA, they were genuinely trying to make enjoyable cRPG's, and to some extent make them more appealing to all gamers, but while holding on to a core set of cRPG beliefs.

But now under the enslavement of the EA Overlords, they need to SELL SELL SELL! If it don't sell, you will be out of here faster than you can say "We create Worlds"....

And it is so painfully obvious in all of their "PR" speech (ESPECIALLY with Laidlaw)...

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Jaesun said:
Let's just face the facts now. BioWare is a maker of Mass Accessible action games to appeal to a broad audience, that may or not contain some vague semblance of "RPG" elements.

EA and BioWare ARE in the business to make game that sell as much as possible (instead of designing a good core game that would not appeal to the masses, ie.. OMG! WHAT DO ALL THESE STATS MEAN?! OMG REDDING IS TEH HARD! OMG WHY CANT I JOIN ALL THE GUILDS! HALP! I CANT FIND Caius Cosades! etc etc...).

When they were not owned by EA, they were genuinely trying to make enjoyable cRPG's, and to some extent make them more appealing to all gamers, but while holding on to a core set of cRPG beliefs.

But now under the enslavement of the EA Overlords, they need to SELL SELL SELL! If it don't sell, you will be out of here faster than you can say "We make Worlds"....

And it is so painfully obvious in all of their"PR" speech (ESPECIALLY with Laidlaw)...

Someday all our kids will be talking about the millions of copies of DA3 buried somewhere in the AZ desert.

Regdar

Arcane
The only thing these cocksuckers are innovating is the art of PR doublespeak. I still vomit in my mouth a little bit every time I read one of their euphemism-laden posts.

That makes me wonder. Gaider's a cunt, but you've gotta give him credit - he may be the only one left at Bioware who still remembers how to speak bluntly. I should probably lay off insulting him so much.

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Jaesun said:
If it don't sell, you will be out of here faster than you can say "We Create Worlds"....

Fixed. How long still before they (and we) get rid of Bioware? 1 year? 2 maybe?

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
So how many "in our defense" have BioWare released now exactly? Not that I want them to stop. They're still hilarious to read. Not to mention pathetic and tragic.

sgc_meltdown said:
He's no Todd Howard or Chris Avellone, that's for sure.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
If you want to jump on my bandwagon you really have to drop the cool face. But yes, the rpg genre is dead. Just like the adventure game genre.

^The wino down the street also really believes Jesus comes down to chat with him on a daily basis.

Jaesun said:

You forgot about the most recent addition...I EQUIPPED HIDE ARMOR, WHY IS MY ARMOR STILL VISIBLE?

So the counter attack against the rioting fans begins with Laidlaw (supported by Gaider and Epler) claiming DA2 merely fixed what was "busted". Now Muzak comes along and claims DA2 was the "right direction".

Funny to watch them dig their own graves. Pity that Muzyka has so much $ in offshore trust funds, that he doesn't care if Dragon Age: Arcania (on Wii only) flops. It would have been nice to see the DA3 sales fiasco hurt him a little personally (rather than just the devs).

bhlaab

Erudite
bioware said:
There’s no doubt that there was a polarization though. Maybe some of that can be attributed to some of the fans of Dragon Age: Origins who were maybe expecting a similar experience.

Geez what were those people thinking?

Why are we even hearing what he has to say? As far as I can tell he hasn't taken part in the development of a single game in all of Bioware's history. He is just the guy at the top whose only notable contribution is raising enough initial capital to start the business a decade and a half ago. At least when people like Laidlaw or Gaider say something we can reasonably take it at face value as representing the reasoning behind any specific change. But insofar as having the credentials to talk about the development of DA2 goes I'm just as good as fucking Muzyka. So I ask again: what qualifies him to talk about what Bioware was "trying" to do with DA2 more than any random asshole on the street who played through the demo?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom