Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bioware games vs Bethesda games

eli

Learned
In your opinions what are the strengths of bioware games like dragon age over Bethesda games like morrowind and vise versa?
I think bioware have a better design when it comes to adventuring and overall gameplay while Bethesda is better at creation and exploration of their games worlds.

In your opinions what are the strengths of bioware games like dragon age over Bethesda games like morrowind and vise versa?
Bethesda (RIP) were the makers of sandbox games with some simulation going on while Bioware made canned adventures. Bioware stopped making RPGs long ago and who knows what Bethesda will be doing now that they are a part of Microshaft.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Bethesda (RIP) were the makers of sandbox games with some simulation going on while Bioware made canned adventures. Bioware stopped making RPGs long ago and who knows what Bethesda will be doing now that they are a part of Microshaft.

Funny how you give Bethesda a RIP cause they were bought by Microsoft, while Bioware doesn't get a RIP despite being bought by EA.

I would say that being bought by Microsoft is a better fate than being bought by EA, judging from Microsoft's recent PC game releases vs EA's track record of murdering formerly legendary studios in cold blood.

The Jester

Cipher
NuBethesda :
kan-banner.jpg

NuBioware :
0013729e42ea0bb3eabd46.jpg

Falksi

Arcane
Genuinely think that neither have any strengths anymore.

The last few games from both have been spectacularly awful, and have barely shown any signs of anything which once made them decent/good.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Comparing nuBethesda and nuBioware is like comparing Burger King and McDonalds. Literally any mom-and-pop restaurant could make you a better burger. In fact, you could make a better burger yourself.

Stop eating shitty burgers!

eli

Learned
Bethesdas immersion provides much more value to me than Biowares usually inane storyfaggotry.
leave the storyfaggotry aside, when it comes to gameplay I think bioware is better. ie; loot, exploration (actual, like dungeons) combat, progression. while beth is better at making a game setting.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
You either go bankrupt or experience enough success to see yourself go corporate.
BG2 has the superior mechanics because of D&D, but Morrowind allows me to fully indulge in my combatfaggotry, the odd quest here and there for the artifact rewrad notwithstanding.
Say what you will about current Bethesda, but breaking a game has never been as fun as it was in Morrowind.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Bethesda and Bioware were never great companies. Bethesda made 2 games that could be considered great, and Bioware made 3 if you feel like crediting them for NWN's modules. Both companies jumped on the console train as soon as possible and began making casual garbage. Of all the great companies that folded between 2000 and 2004, it had to be these jackasses who survived.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Bethesdas immersion provides much more value to me than Biowares usually inane storyfaggotry.
leave the storyfaggotry aside, when it comes to gameplay I think bioware is better. ie; loot, exploration (actual, like dungeons) combat, progression. while beth is better at making a game setting.

God no.

Recent Bioware games had absolute trash-tier encounter design dominated by filler trash mobs and quest design was very MMO fetch quest like. And they don't even have open worlds so all you can do is go through these linear filler-filled dungeon crawls and do the quests. And Bioware games are barely moddable.

Meanwhile Fallout 4 managed to be at least somewhat fun, is highly moddable so you can remove the worst features, and you can complete ignore the story in favor of freeform exploration of decently designed dungeons (no really, some of FO4's locations are genuinely well-designed). Also you can install 100 mods at the same time for ultimate customization.

Bethesda games are more fun to dick around in than Bioware's.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Bethesda games show some potential all the time, but they get always ruined by streamlining, bugs, and many perplexingly retarded decisions. Bioware games on the other hand have been irredeemable for a long time now.

Xeon

Augur
I think you can fix or improve Beth games with mods, don't think you can do that with Bioware games.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Bethesda games are shit. They have not made one even decent game. Unless you give themc redit for NV. LMAO

BIO despite how far they've fallen have made LEGENDARY AWESOMESAUCE GAMES.

eli

Learned

God no.

Recent Bioware games had absolute trash-tier encounter design dominated by filler trash mobs and quest design was very MMO fetch quest like. And they don't even have open worlds so all you can do is go through these linear filler-filled dungeon crawls and do the quests. And Bioware games are barely moddable.

Meanwhile Fallout 4 managed to be at least somewhat fun, is highly moddable so you can remove the worst features, and you can complete ignore the story in favor of freeform exploration of decently designed dungeons (no really, some of FO4's locations are genuinely well-designed). Also you can install 100 mods at the same time for ultimate customization.

Bethesda games are more fun to dick around in than Bioware's.
I should have clarified it, not talking about decline bioware or Bethesda, just their best gems.
And imo not one Bethesda game ever had any good or acceptable dungeoning, not in terms of content or design.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I think bioware have a better design when it comes to adventuring and overall gameplay while Bethesda is better at creation and exploration of their games worlds.

Story and writing/dialogue:
Bioware: Much better story and writing, more high fantasy, more darkness and grimness and more pg13 or 15 or whatever.
Bethesda: More medieval/historic, much more bland and generic and mainstream, much more U rather than PG, pretty boring stories and terribly boring dialogue.

Combat:
Bioware: Integral to the game, planned out to be a challenge and require some thought, primitive but mostly due to budgets, overall interesting and on the incline, until the decline.
Bethesda: Very basic FPS with a bow one shotting stuff, or walk up to stuff and press a button to stab it to death or burn it to death. And if left button doesn't kill it then right button will blast it to smithereens. But just to be sure there is now a third button which just completely disables your target.

Exploration:
Bioware: Old-school design, large areas you need to explore every inch of, but it pays off by finding things you really want, like items, or money, or battles for experience, etc. And again it requires some thought, and it takes you to interesting locations too. I'd rate it about 7/10. Maybe a 6 but depends on reference...
Bethesda: Run along boring fucking paths to a boring fucking copy pasted town that all requires a loading screen to get inside and get the shitty dialogue to go and fetch an amulet from some shitty cave which is along another shitty long path, in a cave that is suspiciously identical to the last 100 fucking copy paste caves. And nothing you find is good or interesting, the combat is a retarded shitshow anyway and so is the ridiculous excuse for character building, so the random crappy items you find aren't even that interesting or useful anyway. Boring world and terrible level design too, although Skyrim was a big improvement over all their previous terrible games in terms of world design.

Items / character building:
Bioware: You have a hat, chest, gloves, boots, cloak, rings, clicky items, held items, etc. There is a progression curve that expects you to do well in getting these items, so you can struggle if you don't build smart, explore, and do what needs to be done.
Bethesda: Strength / Stamina / Magickalness, pick one you retard, and here take this weapon we just gave you for nothing, now go and do 1 out of 5000 chores we made for you, and you will find a few other weapons and some meaningless skill points to spend.

Big dumb games make the most money, and these guys know it.

Funny how you give Bethesda a RIP cause they were bought by Microsoft, while Bioware doesn't get a RIP despite being bought by EA.

I would say that being bought by Microsoft is a better fate than being bought by EA, judging from Microsoft's recent PC game releases vs EA's track record of murdering formerly legendary studios in cold blood.
Bioware made one sort-of decent game with Baldur's Gate and then had no more good ideas after that. By the point EA bought them they were making another rehash that first game but without the D&D license. Nothing lost there, that studio was dead long before EA got their mitts on them. Bethesda Softworks on the other hand is a studio with an uneven output of flawed gems. They used to make overly ambitious and innovative games, recently they focused on getting basic gameplay down while still retaining some of the scope of their early titles. They might have gotten big but they were still trying. The radiant AI of Oblivion was an attempt at something, same thing with the building aspects of Fallout 4. To some that might not be enough, but the idiosyncrasies of Beth made them stand out from their competition. Under the wing of a software monopoly like Microsoft I don't have high hopes for their output from now on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom