Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bioware strikes back: Revenge of the shit

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
kris said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
There is a real Star Wars PnP RPG, and it uses 3rd edition D20 (whatcha expect, not like anyone else could get a hold of the license...). It's pretty well illustrated and has an extensive race supplementary book. I have never taken part in a game that actually got off its feet, but the system is by far the best I've seen in DnD spin-offs, as in it armour generally comes with AC (in it, Defense Bonus) AND damage reduction against certain weapons.

That was the second star wars RPG or reboot. The first Star wars RPG was D6 based and much more openended than the D20 one. Although it clearly wasn't the best system either.

Can check it up at home if I can find it.

Armor should give DR only, the whole AC thing never made any sense to me. Conan d20 has a great system for melee combat.

DraQ

Arcane
Sergiu64 said:
kris said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
There is a real Star Wars PnP RPG, and it uses 3rd edition D20 (whatcha expect, not like anyone else could get a hold of the license...). It's pretty well illustrated and has an extensive race supplementary book. I have never taken part in a game that actually got off its feet, but the system is by far the best I've seen in DnD spin-offs, as in it armour generally comes with AC (in it, Defense Bonus) AND damage reduction against certain weapons.

That was the second star wars RPG or reboot. The first Star wars RPG was D6 based and much more openended than the D20 one. Although it clearly wasn't the best system either.

Can check it up at home if I can find it.

Armor should give DR only, the whole AC thing never made any sense to me. Conan d20 has a great system for melee combat.
Don't forget about DT. It's what AC was meant to be before it was born retarded.

What AC actually does, should be done by dodge.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthre ... 665&page=2

Talkin' bout SWTOR:

Drew's work on the project has been as more of a jack of all trades, helping out wherever he can and graciously bringing his wisdom and years of experience to everything from character design to training of new writers. If there's any specific place Drew owns, it would be the legacy of KOTOR and how those questions get answered in game

deuxhero

Arcane
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Personally I'd like to play as a Tusken Jedi, but every GM has been too much of a faggot to permit it. It's far more interesting to play as Jedi who has natural susceptibility to the Dark Side (due to being from a fiercely proud and violent tribal culture, with a huge collective chip on their shoulder due to being so marginalized on their home planet) and having to actually deal with it often. And of course, having a very distinct and semi-alien cultural element to the character, with it also influencing his behaviour, like having both a lightsaber and a gaderffii (but for added peculiar habit, the gaderffii would be the weapon used sparingly, as it'd be regarded as the more honourable and serious weapon).

There are two in the EU I think, both adopted humans though.

I think there has to be some rule for the EU "sand people are never shown under their mask" like the Hutt and Wookiee Jedi mandate.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
How would you folks like a Star Wars game with a SPECIAL-like system?

Instead of Luck, you could have Force Affinity or something.

Maybe something like Might, Awareness, Fortitude, Appeal, Keenness, Agility, and Force (MAFAKAF) to avoid looking like blatant ripping off of SPECIAL.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Wyrmlord said:

Maybe something like Might, Awareness, Fortitude, Appeal, Keenness, Agility, and Force (MAFAKAF) to avoid looking like blatant ripping off of SPECIAL.

More like: Force, Agility, Guts, Strength, Hardiness, Intelligence, Technique

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Menckenstein said:
Wyrmlord said:

More like: Force, Agility, Guts, Strength, Hardiness, Intelligence, Technique

:lol:

Nope

Liturgist
Vaarna_Aarne said:
There is a real Star Wars PnP RPG, and it uses 3rd edition D20.
It's not bad by D20 standards but there's two far superior Star Wars RPGs out there.
Star Wars: SAGA Edition by WotC and Star Wars D6 by West End Games.
The latter has the 3E problem of Casters/Jedi outdoing all the other classes in their respective niches though.

DraQ

Arcane
waywardOne said:
AC is merely the chance to mitigate 100% damage via "missed" attacks.
Which is exactly not like armour works.

Whether the armour can mitigate 100% damage may be to certain extent random, but it should definitely depend on the amount of damage. For example you may have an enchanted plate +3 worn over a hauberk made entirely of rings of protection, but if I nom you on the head and yank it off, you're still dead, whereas a rogue wearing just a slightly soiled linen shirt will avoid all the damage and live a bit longer if he successfully dodges.

Random

Arcane
Patron
I heard SAGA was a pile of shit and the original game was not much better.

Revised Core Rulebook is the best from what I know.

Turjan

Arcane
Random said:
I heard SAGA was a pile of shit and the original game was not much better.

Revised Core Rulebook is the best from what I know.

I would say that Saga Edition is the best of the three d20 iterations. I'm DMing a game at the moment, and it's lots of fun.

It has some wonky math, though. Force users are a bit too powerful at low levels and too weak at high levels, because defenses rise faster in power than force powers. Other than that, it's probably the best iteration of a pnp Star Wars game.

d6 is still good for tramp freighter campaigns, though. Just don't play jedi.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom