Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bioware strikes back: Revenge of the shit

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Roguey said:
All of Avellone's comics are boring crap, each and every one of them. He can only thrive in the creatively bankrupt media of video games, any other shows how lackluster he really is.
254px-Impregnable.jpg

Wookiepedia said:
After a massive battle on Amaltanna, all of General Bultar Swan's clone troopers are defeated. The Separatist leader remains snug in his fortress. Swan, determined not to fail, enters the heavily protected mansion. Ignoring the taunts of her foe, Swan slices through doors, fends off battle droids, leaps huge chasms, and traverses through mazes, finally to reach the impregnable door leading to the leader's chambers. Quick on her feet, she slices through the control panel with her lightsaber, locking herself out, but locking the Separatist leader in. Watching the Jedi exit the fortress, the leader sighs to himself, knowing that his saferoom will be his tomb.

Someone should do a Let's Read, for lulz.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
abnaxus said:
Roguey said:
All of Avellone's comics are boring crap, each and every one of them. He can only thrive in the creatively bankrupt media of video games, any other shows how lackluster he really is.
254px-Impregnable.jpg

Wookiepedia said:
After a massive battle on Amaltanna, all of General Bultar Swan's clone troopers are defeated. The Separatist leader remains snug in his fortress. Swan, determined not to fail, enters the heavily protected mansion. Ignoring the taunts of her foe, Swan slices through doors, fends off battle droids, leaps huge chasms, and traverses through mazes, finally to reach the impregnable door leading to the leader's chambers. Quick on her feet, she slices through the control panel with her lightsaber, locking herself out, but locking the Separatist leader in. Watching the Jedi exit the fortress, the leader sighs to himself, knowing that his saferoom will be his tomb.

Someone should do a Let's Read, for lulz.

That reeds like an excerpt from a Jedi Outcast fan model description.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Roguey said:
So only novelists can be writers and absolutely no one else? Good to know all other media doesn't count. If I ever meet a playwright I'll shout "Liar!" at him or her.
No, but in this thread's context we're only talking about shitty genre novelists.

Avellone = Better than average (or whatever you think) video game writer.
Karpshyn = Average video game writer and shitty novelist who takes advantage of a a genre that nerds will buy anything from.

Understand?

Angthoron

Arcane
Mangoose said:
Roguey said:
So only novelists can be writers and absolutely no one else? Good to know all other media doesn't count. If I ever meet a playwright I'll shout "Liar!" at him or her.
No, but in this thread's context we're only talking about shitty genre novelists.

Avellone = Better than average (or whatever you think) video game writer.
Karpshyn = Average video game writer and shitty novelist who takes advantage of a a genre that nerds will buy anything from.

Understand?

As I've said to a friend today, there are writers that are so bad that they couldn't even make a decent Harlequin novelist, simply because they don't even know how human relations work - and so they write fantasy/space fantasy novels instead, since those are the genre in which you don't fucking need to know ANYTHING. Just make it up as you go and explain it by Gods/Force/bacteria/chance.

To me, BioWare writers fall in this category.

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Stinger said:
(see the Exile's death scene for just how awful he is).

I don't suppose anyone knows where I can find an excerpt of this. I am interested in seeing just how bad it is, but there is no way in hell I would ever pay money for something like this.

Deleted member 7219

Erzherzog said:
Matt7895 said:
MCA doesn't need to justify himself to you peasants, but I do think he needs a chance at an original IP. Fearqus Urquhart is the guy who can make this happen, he calls the shots at Obsidian.

Err, Alpha Protocol? An altogether uninspired game?

He didn't write AP, he was brought in late in the project to help out with a few things.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I understand that MCA took over when Mitsoda left Obsidian to develop zombie survival vaporware with Annie.

I'm not entirely sure if anything actually changed when MCA took over.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Didn't Sega force the RPG elements onto AP late in the game? It really looked like an awful internal Sega game before that but still. I remember seeing one of the first gameplay vids / dev walkthrough where Thornton powers up like Goku to unleash his kung fu and losing all hope.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The project went through so many different stages that it's hard to say precisely what the original intent was. The design lead apparently changed his mind on features every 3 months or so and that resulted in tons and tons of wasted time and work. I'm honestly surprised it ever came out and turned out as well as it did.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Vaarna_Aarne said:
I'm not entirely sure if anything actually changed when MCA took over.

I wish I could find the exact quote from Obsidian byt basically the Dialoge Stances were Mitsodas idea, but how they eventually ended up in the final game was changed from Mitsodas original design. I believe most (if not all) of Mitsodas design was cut or changed from the released game.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I guarantee you that within ten years, there will be less anonymous Obsidian developers joining the ranks of those who thought AP should be canceled. This game's shittiness is an objective fact.
Retardation confirmed.

Stinger

Arcane
Aldebaran said:
Stinger said:

I don't suppose anyone knows where I can find an excerpt of this. I am interested in seeing just how bad it is, but there is no way in hell I would ever pay money for something like this.

It's on the second page of the thread that was linked. Here:

001ayh.jpg

Also, Jim Sterling's sensationalist nerd baiting makes me rage. What a complete hack of a journalist.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Matt7895 said:
He didn't write AP, he was brought in late in the project to help out with a few things.
All of the Mitsoda/Carlson writing was thrown into the trash and Patrick K Mills said Avellone wrote pretty much all of the spoken dialogue in the game. Additionally, Avellone said that Sega didn't care at all about any of the narrative details (just the gameplay and well-deserved too), so this one's all on him.

Stinger

Arcane
Mitsoda's writing wasn't particularly impressive judging from an old storyboard thing the Obsidian forums came across (the Marburg choice is instead between saving Madison as she's dropped off a helicopter versus saving a Bus full of civilians with a bomb tied underneath it...which could not be more cliched frankly).

Avellone wrote Steven Heck, so frankly I'm ok with the guy having full credit for the writing. Alpha Protocol's flaws had nothing to do with the writing anyway.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Steven Heck was actually the least changed character and he was Travis Stout's (according to Annie).

Stinger

Arcane
According to Patrick K Mills, Avellone wrote him. He said that if he had worked on Taipei he'd have cut him out because he didn't expect Avellone to make him turn out so well.

Then again Mills also said Obsidian has the rights to AP so.... huh

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
http://www.elpixelilustre.com/2011/08/e ... one.html/2
Chris Avellone himself said:
So Heck was a character concept in the first iteration of the story, and Travis Stout (who wrote the Taipei arc and also was a key writer on Old World Blues) did a great job with his lines. Travis simply knows how to write crazy and funny and then wrap it up in somebody’s head. In the studio, it did seem like Nolan was enjoying the character a lot, so it seems to have paid off.
Mills is basically yet another one of Avellone's assboys who gives him credit for things he didn't actually do.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Stinger said:

001ayh.jpg
What the fuck? This person gets paid to write? It's like one goddamn run on sentence of "and then, and then, and then..." I honestly can't even articulate just how completely amateurish this fucking crap is. It's like if a five year old wrote a Star Wars story and then someone plugged it into an Auto-Thesaurus and gave it a spell check.

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Stinger said:
Aldebaran said:
Stinger said:

001ayh.jpg

Also, Jim Sterling's sensationalist nerd baiting makes me rage. What a complete hack of a journalist.

Wow... he spends a total of one very small paragraph on the defeat of Revan and the Exile, and he spends one short sentence on the death of the Exile. I could practically feel the lightsaber in my own chest. When Revan registered shock, that was me mourning for a valued companion. Take my money Bioware.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom