Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bioware strikes back: Revenge of the shit

corvus

Arcane
So, a lot of the Force in the franchise has been built up so that those uniquely in tune with it can have premonitions and see the future and read peoples' feelings and all that... My question is, why wouldn't this sith emperor see right through this Scourge guy's ploy and zap him right then and there? Isn't he supposed to be extremely powerful? I realize this novel is basically a marketing tie-in with the MMO but a little consistency would be nice. I guess. Fuck it who am I kidding star wars sucks.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Codex needs to come up with The Big Official List of developers who failed us and ran away to make shitty mobile/casual games. Warren Spector counts.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Ed123 said:
Somebody hasn't read my 40k fanfiction where all the heretic legions were swapped with the loyalist ones :smug:

did you send the manuscript to black library yet

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Ed123 said:
They didn't even exist at the time, and I doubt they'd appreciate my Clone Fulgrim/Emperor's Daughter sex scenes.

the hubris of being too far ahead of society's trends

Random

Arcane
Patron
Black Library only accepts submissions in July, I think. And you can't send a full manuscript, you have to send only three chapters, a synopsis, and a chapter-by-chapter breakdown of the story you want to submit.

It's a bitch.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Stinger said:
According to Patrick K Mills, Avellone wrote him.

He never said that. Check your quotes.

Also the real highlight of Alpha Protocols writing were the Marburg conversations, honestly.

Erzherzog

Magister
IronicNeurotic said:
Stinger said:
According to Patrick K Mills, Avellone wrote him.

He never said that. Check your quotes.

Also the real highlight of Alpha Protocols writing were the Marburg conversations, honestly.

Say what? Marburg is a dull tool and nothing more. Not very interesting at all.

Taipei was adequate. G22 were interesting, and the scenario ended in a rather good moral choice. The life of a leader or hundreds of his people? Certainly better than picking between a random girl and thousands.

MCA
Yeah, Marburg = senile old fart who likes to pretend he knows better. What they did right was his animations and thus a characteristic body language. As with most of the other characters. The game really excelled in that area. All the characters in the game could have been mute for all I care.

Angthoron

Arcane
Jaesun said:
Drew Karpyshyn said:
Wow. A lot of people jumping to (somewhat misinformed) conclusions without actually reading the book. I guess I shouldn't be shocked - it happened with the first and third Bane novels, too. Must be human nature.

I'm not going to post a long, elaborate defense of what I did and why - too many spoilers. But I will say I don't feel I trampled on the KOTOR2 continuity in any way. I put in a lot of time and effort to make sure I was respectful and accurate to the source material. The Exile is a very complex and nuanced character, and there are multiple theories offered in the game to explain what she is and what she does... and some of these theories actually contradict each other. I believe this was intentional, as the KOTOR2 writing team wanted to preserve a sense of mystery about her. (The ongoing debate in this thread about the Exile clearly illustrates they succeeded.)

I was very careful not to put anything in my novel that would directly contradict any of the offered theories, partly to preserve KOTOR2's original intent, and partly because those elements were central to the KOTOR2 story, but not to the story of the Revan novel. I also believe the Exile comes across as a very strong and capable character, and I would caution people about taking small excerpts out of context, because they don't tell the whole story.

Anyway, I'd urge people to read the novel with an open mind before they condemn me. Or at least read the latest post on my website to get my side of the story:

His longer (and spoilerish) long reply to this accusation here: http://drewkarpyshyn.com/c/?p=302#more-302

Erzherzog

Magister
Drew Karpyshyn said:
Here is an accurate description of the KOTOR “twist” out of context: you have amnesia, and it turns out you’re the bad guy all along. Taken in that fasion, it sounds really, really dumb. In fact, when we first started pitching KOTOR’s plot to people, they talked about how dumb, predictable and cliche it was. Most people thought the twist was lame. Why? Because they heard it out of context. There was no build up. No nuance. No subtlety. The twist was only a small part of the entire experience, and it worked with many other facets to evoke a powerful reaction. Most people who played the game feel that KOTOR’s story and the twist represent a watershed moment in video game writing and story telling… but if you heard that twist before and decided it was stupid, you would have ruined much of the KOTOR experience for yourself. So, please, before you decide the book sucks, at least have the decency to read it for yourself. Try to keep an open mind and you might be surprised.

If he truly believes all he just said then holy shit!

If Drew could stop sucking his own cock for a few seconds and understand that there is a very large group of people that thought KotOR's plot twist was stupid even when they did find out within context.

Also, I think my brain started to leak out my nose when he called the plot twist a watershed moment. The dude is quite simply delusional.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Not that delusional. A LOT of people actually do think that the twist in Kotor is the best twist ever :(

Stinger

Arcane
I just don't fucking care anymore.

The Exile left behind her students to rebuild the Jedi Order and then took off in her spaceship to get the fuck out of this shitty continuity.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's funny, MCA was able to make Revan a much more interesting character just by having Kreia pose a couple of theories about him; it took Karpyshyn an entire novel to rape the Exile and KoTOR 2.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
In many ways KOTOR is the Planescape Torment framework made palatable for the masses with all its interesting/intelligent elements ripped out. :smug:

circ

Arcane
Jaedar said:
Not that delusional. A LOT of people actually do think that the twist in Kotor is the best twist ever :(
What's the twist again? That Kreia is 'eveel'? I've seen M Night Shamamalamama movies with less predictable twists, if that's the case.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
circ said:
Jaedar said:
What's the twist again? That Kreia is 'eveel'? I've seen M Night Shamamalamama movies with less predictable twists, if that's the case.
KOTOR twist, not kotor2. the twist is that the PC is actually evul.

Jaedar said:

Erp. Just so the pain will go away, what does the Codex consider the best twist ever?

DraQ said:
But if you rip everything interesting out of PS:T you're just left with an emo amnesiac and shitty combat.

So it's true, PST is really inspired by FF7.

RPGMaster

Savant
Stinger said:
Aldebaran said:
Stinger said:
(see the Exile's death scene for just how awful he is).

I don't suppose anyone knows where I can find an excerpt of this. I am interested in seeing just how bad it is, but there is no way in hell I would ever pay money for something like this.

It's on the second page of the thread that was linked. Here:

001ayh.jpg

And then The Emperor sat on his mighty throne. And then, all of a sudden, at that moment, the Normandry crashed through the galaxy-sized windows. Suddenly, the door opened and out jumped the muscular body Commander Shepard. The Emperor had never seen such an example of man. His soft penis went hard like the penis of a Tatoonie Jawa does when excited. Shepard spotted the The Emperor on his mighty throne, his strong cock pressing against his N7 alliance armour codpiece, originally crafted two years after the Turian Wars. And then Shepard was in The Emperor releasing all this tension into unimaginable pleasure. All while Wrex took Shepard from behind as well. Took him hard and the union was complete.

THE END.

Written by Drew Karpyshyn.

Produced by Drew Karpyshyn.

Editied by Drew Karpyshyn.

Cover Art Concept by Drew Karpyshyn.

Special Thanks to Drew karpyshyn

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
DraQ said:
But if you rip everything interesting out of PS:T you're just left with an emo amnesiac and shitty combat.
This is why it's so utterly funny how skyway thinks kotor combat is superior to Torment's and completed it seven times but could only stand to play Torment once.

Erzherzog

Magister
Roguey said:
DraQ said:
This is why it's so utterly funny how skyway thinks kotor combat is superior to Torment's and completed it seven times but could only stand to play Torment once.

Well skyway is the closest we get to emo ever since Dark Individual and Emotional Vampire left...

Delirius

Liturgist
I luv you Codex so I will share a piece of info about Exile which I didn't yet tell anyone. In SWTOR's Jedi Knight's story it's "revealed" by Lord Scourge that Exile was in fact Revan's apprentice. Not a fellow Jedi/general like MCA led us to believe. Or maybe she was before (fuck if I know) but after being fucked by Atton and killing Kreia she earned the right to have Revan as her Goshujin-sama. It's clearly said she was his student. Finally it's confirmed Exile sucks Revan's dick in all ways possible like that other hoe Jennifer Hale.

Oh and btw Jedi Knight's story was also written by Drew Karpyshyn. TAKE THAT BITCHES!

Drew Karpyshyn vs David Gaider who is better and why

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom