Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

bioware writer wants fast forward button for games

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
treave said:
Well, they pulled out the Planescape: Torment defense. That's it for us guys. Bioware Social have evolved into intelligence. In a year or two they'll be just like the Codex. And we them.

The thing is.... Planescape Torment has a compelling and interesting narrative to go along with it. Also it combines the narrative with gameplay elements to give the player something to enjoy aside from combat.

No, Bioware game does that. They are not even capable of it. They need the gameplay to hold interest.

Also again. That bitch basically said that she is too much of a talentless hack to make it in literature or movies/television. So she went to games. Not because she likes working on games.

Seriously? She is ALL sorts of

:decline:

latexmonkeys

Augur
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
ishmaeltheforsaken said:
Choosing tone and personality is all roleplaying is. You choose how you act. How anything outside your character reacts to you is never under your control, in a game as in real life. Whether I choose to be an ass or a saint, to fight that dragon, to sneak past it, or to bargain with it, even how I behave during a fight (and especially how I behave if there are no fights at all), all of these things are about me (the player) becoming the character. No where do I have any control over NPCs, other player characters, or the events and situations around me.

If there's a fight, there's a fight. If there's not a fight, there's not. None of that matters, because what makes it an RPG is how my character is, regardless.

Derax said:
I think you don't understand it.

He would prefer the dialogue options to result into several different outcomes, which actually reminds me exactly of a RPG,

ishmaeltheforsaken said:
I absolutely understand, as per my above statement.

That said, I think that when the outcome is the same regardless of how you act, how you act become infinitely more important from a role-playing perpesctive. If I have three different tones tied to three different outcomes, am I really roleplaying? Or am I just using the tools I have to achieve the optimum result?

But if the outcome is the same, then the only thing guiding my choice is my character. That is roleplaying in its purest.

Priceless. I couldn't make this shit up if I tried.

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
What I don't comprehend is why does Biowhore not focus on giving players the option of not having to do combat as viable alternate paths? Instead Biowhore is encouraging the idea that games should be more and more like movies which limits interactivity a thing that sets games apart from movies and is why I play rpgs with good stories over watching movies.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Bioware makes these big bloated Hollywood-style RPGs because somehow they have to give their employees work. They come up with bullshit titles like Senior Cutscene Designer which means the guy couldn't get real skills so he makes cutscenes instead. Or you're a failed QA Tester like Stanley Woo, so you become a Writer. :D

Black Cat

Magister
Bioware should just throw the RPG towel and start making high profile VNs, maybe with light Dating Sims elements if they can't completely let go of the stats. While they lack the skill to write something as weird and unique as ChäoS;HEAd Noah and the fashion sense to make something as stylish and fabulous as Armen Noir their design choices would actually make sense on that medium, and maybe then they'll manage to actually focus long enough on the plot, the style, and the choices to make something of note and with a soul.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Black Cat said:
Bioware should just throw the RPG towel and start making high profile VNs, maybe with light Dating Sims elements if they can't completely let go of the stats. While they lack the skill to write something as weird and unique as ChäoS;HEAd Noah and the fashion sense to make something as stylish and fabulous as Armen Noir their design choices would actually make sense on that medium, and maybe then they'll manage to actually focus long enough on the plot, the style, and the choices to make something of note and with a soul.

To be honest, the should just take over the Sims development. Now with Detailed Romance!

easychord

Liturgist
Obviously there is a lot of the gameplay in The Sims that Bioware would have to remove to make it appealing to people who don't like The Sims. Another angle is for them to take over a high profile EA Sports game and make it more appealing to people who hate sports.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
easychord said:
Obviously there is a lot of the gameplay in The Sims that Bioware would have to remove to make it appealing to people who don't like The Sims. Another angle is for them to take over a high profile EA Sports game and make it more appealing to people who hate sports.

:salute:

A 10x speed button would be welcome in many games, that's for sure. Somebody took books for an example, well just imagine if you were restricted to reading books as slow as the slowest reader on earth.

However I don't know why would you make a game in such a way that it needs a skip to the next cutscene button. Well maybe if you're Bioware and can't be bothered to think about pacing and instead just throw in unskippable filler combat as much as you feel like.

And suggesting that Deus Ex would have been a good experience by skipping all of it's actual gameplay is pretty dumb. The story isn't that awesome.

Suggesting that women don't have the time to really play a game is silly. If you have one hour/day to play, that should be enough. However if your game is paced like shit and you can't accomplish anything in a hour, it obviously won't hold much interest for the busy crowd. Say, "today I killed 50 darkspoon and got real close to returning the farmer's goat" is too damn slow progression.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Kalin said:

That's the most awesome thing I've heard all day. Where's that animated DA2 awesome button gif I saw floating around here?

edit: :smug:

da2ot-04.gif

Educated
...you're a player who only enjoys the dialogue. In a game with sufficient story to be interesting without the fighting, there is no reason on earth that you can't have a little button at the corner of the screen that you can click to skip to the end of the fighting.

Over and over, women complain that they don't like violence, or they don't enjoy difficult and vertigo-inducing gameplay, yet this simple feature hasn't been tried on any game I know of.
A chick wants to make/play adventure games.
Codex gets very butthurt.

Granted, many games would have very little left if you removed the combat, but for a game like Day of the Tentacle or Gabriel Knight, you could take out every shred of combat (of which there isn't any) and still have an entertainment experience that rivals anything you'd see in the theater or on TV.
Fixed your post, bitch.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Great idea and total :incline: of Bioware games. And I'm not sarcastic at all. This way I woud atleast complete DA2 which is abandoned ad infinitum after 2rd chapter becouse after 50 MMOs like quests I'm now rewarded with masion, pajamas and new 100 buttonmash fests. :P Fucking trashmobs now materializing from thin air and walls it's new low even Obblibion was less. :retarded:
The few engaging boss fights and quests with some C&C are not worth it. So it will be in new DLC I Hope? :smug:

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Commissar Draco said:
. This way I woud atleast complete DA2 which is abandoned ad infinitum after 2rd chapter
Trust me, it's better to leave it as it is.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I beleive this adequately sums up the gameplay expactations of the average forumgoer at social.bioware.com

ali-zev.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom