Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

bioware writer wants fast forward button for games

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
From the thread title, I'd have figured she meant a cutscene fastforward or skip like most games have. I hate it when games force you to watch their bullshit story which Bioware games still tend to do since their dialogues are all basically cutscenes now as well.

It amazes me that she wants to put up with more cutscenes by skipping the game rather than wanting more game and less subpar wannabe movie crap.

Gondolin

Arcane
Well, it's certainly apparent by now that the merry bunch of game devs employed by Bioware is a group of people who never made the grade in the writing or movie business and who are now trying to turn games into something closer to their aspirations.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
It's not the same thing by any means but... emulation has conclusively proven that mediocre RPGs and strategy RPGs are vastly more playable when there is the option to speed them up to 200% speed with the press of a button.

kris

Arcane
PorkaMorka said:
It's not the same thing by any means but... emulation has conclusively proven that mediocre RPGs and strategy RPGs are vastly more playable when there is the option to speed them up to 200% speed with the press of a button.

Teh solution should be to make the shitty games good instead.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Ok.

Reading that thread leaves me confused. This isn't real, is it? I mean, I know it IS but that cannot be?
Size of a mountain dungheap of idiocy, that it is.

We have the medium videogame, which encompasses alot of different elements. I know! Let's just strip it of remotely interesting, challenging, unique and stimulating factors... This sounds more andmore like a social engineering project to turn teens into clicheé emotards.

Dammit.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
kris said:
PorkaMorka said:

Disagree.

Genre conventions of RPG and strategy games mean that there will be a lot of non interactive dead time where you're just sitting there watching something happen.

For example:

Attack and spell animations
Walking animations / Walking in general
The opponent's turn.
Cinematic animations in general.

At least for me, I tend to grow tired of watching these things, and while I may need to watch them for information purposes (see the enemy moves or the result of an attack, etc), I'm not really that interested in the visuals anymore. That's where 300% speed comes in.
etc.

Most turn based games with animations would greatly benefit from a 300% speed button. The ones that don't need it tend to be older games with less detailed/lengthy animations.

I've played a lot of turn based games on emulators and I can't think of one where I wasn't delighted to make use of the speed up button when it is available.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
At this point, Bioware should just go full into making visual erotic novels.

gothfox

Liturgist
20 Eyes said:
At this point, Bioware should just go full into making visual erotic novels.

I have a strong suspicion the erotic novel reading demographic would laugh their pathetic attempts to arouse anyone out of the fucking town.

riDQY.jpg

kris

Arcane
PorkaMorka said:
kris said:
PorkaMorka said:

Disagree.

Genre conventions of RPG and strategy games mean that there will be a lot of non interactive dead time where you're just sitting there watching something happen.

For example:

1. Attack and spell animations
2. Walking animations / Walking in general
3. The opponent's turn.
4. Cinematic animations in general.

1. Stop playing final fantasy. Spell animations in western games hardly change gameplay time nor flow.

2. Most game already have teleporting everywhere, walking isn't a gameplay feature really. This should be better discussed as in exploring or not. And shitty quests that have you running from person A to person B. Just like I said, make shitty game good instead.

3. The what? Oh, you don't like turnbased? Congratulations, that is dead.

4. Funny you mention. Just the thing she wanted you to fastforward too. Or are you talking about combat animations? Makes little sense.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom