Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bioware's latest genre-defining masterpiece released

sonic-chronicles.jpg

sonic-chronicles-the-dark-brotherhood-20080414103143194.jpg

Not sure if it's released in NA yet, but it's out in Australia for some reason, and as a result it's already available on the 'tubes. Morbid curiosity forced my hand, and I'm about 2-3 hours in. The art style's good, but it comes at the expense of... well, efficiency. Locations are an absolute nightmare to find your way about in, requiring you to find the seemingly random ledge that will allow you to fly up, despite the nearer, lower ledge adjacent to it not giving you the option. And that sort of thing. Battles are fun in a Paper Mario kind of way, except not as good as Paper Mario.

But the dialogue... oh, lord, the dialogue. It's not even because it's a Sonic RPG. I'm not looking for high literature here.
"Sonic, you move faster than most people, so it makes sense that you might get impatient. The first response in your list, with the little picture of Sonic next to it, will always be the fastest way to get you back to the action!"
It's not that it's aimed at kids that gets me, it's how very Bioware it is.

I was thinking of getting this game, even if it's for kids. I haven't used my ds in a long ass time as it is.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I'm not going to touch that. No game has broken my heart as much as the Sonic-games. They should have stopped after Sonic and Knuckles. Just said "No, Sonic is dead. Let him rest. Use Mario instead."

I have no way of taking screenshots of it, my DS flashcard doesn't have that function =(
I doubt I'm going to get far enough to make a LP worthwhile, anyway. The novelty of the battles wears off fairly quickly.

Andyman, I had just about gotten over the Genesis games rape - since the awful modern ones now probably outnumber the good ones, the franchise can officially be declared dead - until, in this one... Sonic enters the Green Hill Zone, stops, and says; "Ahh, the Green Hill Zone. We've had some good times here, haven't we, Tails?"
It's like he just pulled out a stack of Sonic 2 carts and peed all over them while winking furiously at the camera.

Oh, and the boyfriend is imaginary.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Is there romance option?
Enslaving nations with animality mutations?
Are there rude options in dialogues?
Are there polite option in every dialogue?
Does villain go muhaha?
Is the plot E.P.I.C.?

You can't call game genre-defining without these.

There are rude options, polite options (both helpfully accompanied by thumbs-up/thumbs-down icons), and supposedly romance options. The plot involves dimensional travel, so I'm assuming it gets epic. Yet to meet a villain, but I bet Robotnik (fuck your Eggman) says muahahahaha at some point.

Pretty genre-defining and epic to me.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I'd like to make some suggestions for future titles...

"Pac Man Chronicles: The Darkening"
"Luigi's Rehab Adventure"
"Mario On Parole : The Killing List"

If jimbob can't do it, I might find a way to do a Let's Play of it. Though it isn't released in amurikkka yet.

A user named cat

Andyman Messiah said:
I'm not going to touch that. No game has broken my heart as much as the Sonic-games. They should have stopped after Sonic and Knuckles. Just said "No, Sonic is dead. Let him rest. Use Mario instead."
They should've stopped after Sonic 2, or at the very least dug deeper into the track racing aspect from that game. Used to be fun as hell racing against a friend/dickhead and laughing at him as you get speed boots to steal the lead and reach the finish just before him.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Sonic and Knuckles should have been the indicator. It made perfect sense that they would continue the series after Sonic 2, but after Sonic 3? No.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Andyman Messiah said:
How good have the DS emulation gotten? Can you play games without horrible flicker now?
Try NO$GBA, it's the only emulator capable of running Ace Attorney properly - it even uses a Mic that is needed in the second game.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
WhiskeyWolf said:
Andyman Messiah said:
How good have the DS emulation gotten? Can you play games without horrible flicker now?
Try NO$GBA, it's the only emulator capable of running Ace Attorney properly - it even uses a Mic that is needed in the second game.
Thanks!

Oh btw, yes, someone should definitely LP Sonic and the dark brotherhood or whatever.

Chances are, even NO$GBA won't be able to run this very well. It runs Ace Attorney, but... well, Ace Attorney is basically a GBA game with a second screen. I don't think it copes with more... intensive games very well.

DemonKing

Arcane
I notice the Bioware logo isn't exactly prominently displayed on the cover...shame perhaps?

WhiskyWolf

Novice
Admiral jimbob said:
Chances are, even NO$GBA won't be able to run this very well. It runs Ace Attorney, but... well, Ace Attorney is basically a GBA game with a second screen. I don't think it copes with more... intensive games very well.
I didn't say it will run for SURE.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom