Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

BIS is not more?

triCritical

Erudite
Puuk said:
Today was my last day at the (former) BIS, as it was for my whole team. I just wanted to say farewell to the best fans in the industry, and thanks for all the great feedback and support. I don't know where I'll end up, but know that we were all avid gamers and wanted to make the PC games that not only we wanted to play, but also the fans. But this isn't goodbye. Puuk will still flow through various boards Mr. Green (even this one, but without the BIS logo), and I still look forward to shooting ideas back and forth with my fellow gamers.

All of you take care and have a great holiday.

Damien Foletto.

FO3 IS DEAD TOO!!!!! :shock:

Actually I am not shocked.

triCritical

Erudite
Psilon said:
Wow. Are they folding BIS back into Interplay or just firing everybody?

I am not sure, although it looks like the whole VB team is gone, if I guess right from Briosafreaks last post.

Scripters:
* Chad Nicholas
* Chris French
* Chris Heidari

Designers:
* John Deiley
* Damien Foletto
* Jeff Husges

Artists:
* Dany Martinez
* Vera Milosavich

Programmers:
* Jake Devore
* Yuki Furumi
* Mark Murakami
* Dave Vodhanel

Producers:
* Tom French
* Kevin Osburn

I won`t say goodbye, but see you guys and girls soon, i`m sure

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Hmm.. Unfortunately for the employeess; this has been obviosuly inevitable for awhile now. :(

Psilon

Erudite
Just saw NMA. Wowee. I mean, I'm not entirely surprised, but that's still pretty big news. At least I won't have to worry about funding Interplay with any future game purchases if they're going all-console.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
You know, for me, it's like a dream like state, you know? I'm kinda glad, but saddened at teh same time. Nostalgia anyone?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Holy fuck! We all thought that it's coming, we all expected it, but It still feels bad. I remember BIS when it started, it had an aura of a promise, of things to come...it's very sad to know that BIS is no more, that they are no more not because they tried and failed but because the incompetence of others didn't even give them a chance to present the last 2 games they worked on.

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
http://forums.interplay.com/viewtopic.php?t=35616

Puuk
HO-FREAKIN'-HO!

Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:05 pm Post subject: Farewell, but not goodbye
Today was my last day at the (former) BIS, as it was for my whole team. I just wanted to say farewell to the best fans in the industry, and thanks for all the great feedback and support. I don't know where I'll end up, but know that we were all avid gamers and wanted to make the PC games that not only we wanted to play, but also the fans. But this isn't goodbye. Puuk will still flow through various boards (even this one, but without the BIS logo), and I still look forward to shooting ideas back and forth with my fellow gamers.

All of you take care and have a great holiday.

Damien Foletto.

If a game is ass, a good story is like perfume on a garbage dump... - MCA

Human Shield

Augur
Did they read forums for the worst outcome everyone predicted? FO3 canned and FO:BOS 2 in production.

Well we can all hope that this mistake will be the last one Interplay ever makes.

Funny that Trokia, starting small, will outlive its once massive origin company.

This seems like the biggest case of "told you so" for some reason.

Spazmo

Erudite
Well, I wouldn't worry. Sounds to me like they all have guaranteed jobs at Obsidian, or probably their own company. I'm sure there's a ton of publishers that'd be eager to publish something from the ex-BIS team, just as I'm sure publishers were lining up to snap up Flagship's first title.

Besides that, I'm sure that all the good folks who've been canned are now quite bitter towards IPLY. I'm sure they're now mere containers of pure, unadulterated, anti-IPLY/Herve vitriol. Therefore I'd like to invite them to the RPG Codex! They'd fit in just fine here.

triCritical

Erudite
BIS developing division will be known as the division that had as many projects cancelled as it released.

released : IWD1, IWD2, PS:T, FO2. The two expansion packs for the same game should only count as one title.

cancelled : FO3 (first time), That game that has stone in the title 2, TORN, Jefferson (BG3), and Van Buren (FO3 the second time)

Its kind of funny that the only project that BIS developed with a development cycle longer then a year is PS:T and that crew is pretty much Obsidian is it not?

Anyhow, looking at there resume, are we really missing much? Nostalgia and the obscene amount of times I have spent on those boards make me a bit sad, but I don't think CRPG community is losing much. PERHAPS IF THEY WERE ALLOWED TO FINISH A FUCKING GAME, things would be different. But as of now its a m00t point.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Still unfortunate that the bastards at the top had no real vision. If they did, they would make a good game instead of the usual shit that is just barely passable, and they might not be in such a shit hole. Eh, who can tell really. I'm sure they all friggin hate IPLY, God knows I do.

Voss

Erudite
Just think how shitty it is for the guys that worked for the last two years on projects... only to have them flushed. All that time and effort for squat. And odds that they didn't know this was coming?

I still want to know why J.E. got a two week head start though.

kumquatq3

Liturgist
Voss said:
Just think how shitty it is for the guys that worked for the last two years on projects... only to have them flushed. All that time and effort for squat. And odds that they didn't know this was coming?

I still want to know why J.E. got a two week head start though.

JE got sick of all the BS and I think he got a oppurtunity to work on a new Guantlet game for Midway. He took it.

Spazmo

Erudite
kumquatq3 said:
what are the other ways to put it?

Something like "Interplay tried to force him to rape his grandmother's corpse or something equally loathsome involving FO3" might fit.

kumquatq3

Liturgist
Spazmo said:
kumquatq3 said:
what are the other ways to put it?

Something like "Interplay tried to force him to rape his grandmother's corpse or something equally loathsome involving FO3" might fit.

It's quite possible I didn't hear something, but JE and most of the BIS staff say this isn't the case.

I talked to one of the devs personally (in private, not face to face) and was told that he left because to many resources were being pulled from VB and the bad situation in general.

mr. lamat

Liturgist
we are deeply saddened by this. over the past seven years this studio has been a benchmark to which all other companies would be set. it's a shame how it has been dismantled piece by piece over the years... we wish all of the crew that is left good luck in the future.

we hope deeply that one of the devs will release a unfinished copy of both games with script and editing tools.

axel

Liturgist
might have something to do with working on a guantlet game for midway doesn't sound like quite a bang up job.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom