Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Black Desert - Korean MMO - Tent cities, conservating clothing, Oh my

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Well I've leveled to 54 without spending a dollar on it yet. Also, you can get back in to the Olvia channels with +100% exp if you've been inactive for a month, and they last for a month from the time you log in.

Perkel

Arcane
It is like 5$ right now on steam. I always wanted to try that amazing looking character creator so i bought it and it is downloading currently. 42gb. I also heard world itself is actually interesting from good source.

I'll try it today or tomorrow and do some quick review.
It will be probably my first MMORPG since i think... i don't even remember since i stopped playing almost all online games in something like 2006 and even then i wasn't fan of MMOs.

It seems also that is has Guild Wars 2 style system of pay once play forever instead of monthly shitty sub.

Perkel

Arcane
ehh tried it for half hour.

I remember why i hate MMOs now. UI is total fucking garbage. There are like 5 bilion things on screen and none of those things really matter. There are like 7 different growing bars, fucking arrows, quest objectives, 4 different texts about something i don't care about, and if you hit escape which should give you quick options like quit game options etc. You get like 100 different icons. I get constant notifications that someone just upgraded his skill to lvl fucking 7 with his nickname, someone did quest. All of UI also doesn't scale so you need to change resolution to match your screen size rather than scale UI.

What the flying fuck... seriously.

As for character creator. I though it will be amazing but frankly speaking Dragon's Dogma characters editor is above and beyond this one. Sure you can fiddle with characters faces much more but almost all the options in BDO have really fucking close margins. So you can't even make a freak if you want. There is no hue selection for anything so you need to choose from 20-30 different colors created by devs from which there is no normal looking colors for either skin, hair, eyes etc.

When it comes to combat is is pretty good actually. Unlike almost all MMOs this is action rpg much like dragon's dogma.
World also seems detailed and interesting but holy shit i won't play it with such garbage ui.

I'll try to find if something can be done about ui because game seems like my alley judging by starting village.

Gerrard

Arcane
So you can't even make a freak if you want.

What?

images

Perkel

Arcane
lel i just read that there is no in game weapons and armors that can change look of your character and to change how your character looks you need to spend RM.

uninstall.exe

:prosper:

Perkel

Arcane
But that's not true.

What do you mean by that ?
I heard that normal armor you collect from monsters, shops etc doesn't change how you look. Only RMT one does.

Is that wrong ?

I mean i found helmet for my character i equipped it and nothing. Then i read comments that said there is no customization.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
But that's not true.

What do you mean by that ?
I heard that normal armor you collect from monsters, shops etc doesn't change how you look. Only RMT one does.

Is that wrong ?

I mean i found helmet for my character i equipped it and nothing. Then i read comments that said there is no customization.

Monster drops will change your armor's look slightly, but it does. I can't say that all helmets change your appearance but I know that there are some that do. It's nothing big, but there are changes.

Armor customization you can buy from the shop can also be acquired from in-game gold, though. And it's not ungodly amounts - I was a rather casual player but from very basically selling stuff you find on the AH you can make good amounts of money, and I could afford a full set of high-priced customization armor if I wanted it. What's actually much more expensive are ACTUAL weapons and armor that have been enhanced, as those will go for very high amounts of gold. I'm very sure of what I'm talking about because I made the math of how much in-game gold I could "buy" from selling an armor customization, and the dollar -gold ratio was not that good.

Furthermore, you will get customization sets simply from loyalty rewards (ie, logging in once a day) along with other QoL items, including value packs that gives you inventory / weight expansion, exp bonus, ability to customize your character's looks for free, among other things.

I played for a month without investing a single dollar, and after that only to get one of the pets that auto-loot for you.

Lhynn

Arcane
Armors and weapons do change how your character looks, but they all still make you look like a foot soldier. if you want to look good you gotta buy (or get through event) the cosmetic stuff.

Stokowski

Arcane
The UI is pretty typical of many Asian-origin MMOs. They love their clutter (just ask Google, who had to clutter up their pages for the Chinese market because having a simple interface on a mostly clear page was off-putting). Isn't helped by some dopey localisation decisions though, like some of the configuration options being "check this box to turn some feature on" alongside "check this box to turn a different feature off".

And engine optimisation? What's that? Never heard of it.

Perkel

Arcane
yeah there is ui editing tool and with removal of few ui elements it looks pretty clean.

Armors and weapons do change how your character looks, but they all still make you look like a foot soldier. if you want to look good you gotta buy (or get through event) the cosmetic stuff.

fucking people.

I'll give it a go again. Thanks. Though 45GB download will take 2-3 hours or more.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
I just started this last week and came to see what the codex has to say- And trhe only thread I can find has its most recent post from 2017.

Fuckers.

-Anyhow, I'm loving it. Its alot of fun so far...

ADL

Prophet
The game was completely different in the Korean closed beta phases I played. It was more of a sandbox but the Koreans wanted more structure and more grind so they added more structure and more grind. Pretty much the same thing happened to ArcheAge. There used to be a website that detailed exactly what happened prior to release but it's offline now. Then they released it here, toned down the grind and kept the structure because it was too late to revert back to what made Westerners excited about it in the first place. Keep in mind it's still grindy and pay2win bullshit but it's not nearly as bad as the Korean version.

Anyways yeah, don't play Korean MMOs if they prioritize their market over every other region in the world.

deama

Prophet
Anyone playing this anymore? I occasionally play here and there, currently a lahn lvl 61 trying to get to 62.

deama

Prophet
I got to lahn 63, took a long while.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom