Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Black Desert - Korean MMO - Tent cities, conservating clothing, Oh my

Endemic

Arcane
Seems to be Duam's fault, in Russia it's F2P and the cash shop isn't as obnoxious.

Drakron

Arcane
Okay, I have to ask. How do these chances not add up to 100%? What exactly happens 40% of the time? You get a horse that is neither male nor female? Or is this even higher because the chances overlap due to the existence of hermaphrodite horses?

Well if I recall I had a 10% chance of getting a T3 stallion and a 25% chance of getting a T3 mare (that is what I got when I exchanged the male and fame since its basically a breeding that will consume the horses).

At worst you get a same tier stallion, I would say this is rare if you actually train the horses since their levels matter but you will always get 2 horses, at the very worst you get same tier stallions as their parents on breeding and then exchange but as long horses have some levels (like 10+) that should be fairly rare, the real kicker comes at high tier breeding since their leveling XP requirements go up, I would way the madness of leveling a T7 horse to 30 would be quite high .

Last edited:

Drakron

Arcane
So any comments on the game up until now?

What kind of endgame does it have?

Endgame right now is doing dailies, if you want ... I dont give a fuck really, I suppose if you do then its Boss Scrolls and World Bosses for their Weapon drops outside farming rotations trying to get Witch Earings and Marks of Shadows and Tree Belts and Ogre Rings ... the usual RNG dtop BS coupled with the usual RNG enchanting BS since you are safe to +7 in weapon and offhand and +5 in armor (not with accessories) but after that there is chance to fail.

Endgame in KR seems to be PvP with node wars and stuff like that for the moment, there seems to be some kind of open Dungeon in Valencia planned but not out yet I believe.

Lhynn

Arcane
Eh, enchanting isnt that hard, most of my armor is +10/+11 and my weapon is +15.
The shit you get as drop from world bosses at random you can also get from hidden merchants with the valencia update as i understand it, it just costs silver, which isnt particularly hard to come by.

Cash shop itself offers an advantage, but not with the consumables, shit is piss easy to get anyway, only with the passive bonuses that come from pets and costumes, they arent big enough to make you auto win but they are big enough to represent an unfair edge.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Actual endgame is two gameplay styles right now:
-Grind up to lv60 which will probably take months even with a dedicated group that farms the best spots every day for 12hours+. I don't mind this part one bit, its the premise of the game.
-Grind hundreds of millions of silver either by fishing 24hours a day, hunting 24hours a day, gaming the auction house 24hours a day or farming mobs every day. You then use that silver to try and upgrade the most expensive jewelry/belts until you get better versions of them so you can outgear everyone once the guild-PvP patch hits the EU/NA servers. After you spent about a billion silver to try and get your ogre ring to the second upgrade tier with 60+ failstacks you check reddit to see some dude getting a TRI: Ogre ring with 38 stacks, you lose all hope and stop playing for a week. That's what I did, because this enhancing system ist just ridiculous RNG. Up until a certain point (+15 for weapons/armour) the enhancing system is relatively simple and even with the worst of luck you spend maybe 50million more than some dude who got extremely lucky. But then theres some guy who gets lucky and has 20 AP more than you because of it, which is quite huge, and you start to feel like you're better off playing the lottery. It's already bad enough if you try to farm for specific items yourself instead of just amassing wealth to buy them off the marketplace, but at some point you will have to join in on the RNG-fest because with fixed marketplace prices it's usually not efficient anymore to just buy stuff, or noone puts whatever you want next on the marketplace in the first place. The aforementioned TRI: Ogrering had a fixed price of ~2.25billion silver, with great gear and a good spot you make about 5-15million an hour.

TL;DR
Enjoy the game for what it has to offer outside of "endgame" mechanics and you will have a great time. Try taming a T7 horse, as far as I'm aware there's only one of those so far. Try being the best hunter/gatherer/whatever because the crafting system in general is really cool and unique (for an MMO atleast). If you enjoy skillful PvE endgame, BDO doesn't have to offer much sadly.

Lhynn

Arcane
Game itself is fairly fun. Im finding some classes fairly complex and trying to master them will take me a long time, i apretiate that.
I like how the game has so many obscure mechanics, and how those that know said mechanics can game it to get ahead, i want to learn that.
I like the sieges, cant wait till they come to NA, i like GvGs, i enjoy the full pvp nature of the world and i like that all life skills have so much depth behind them. I like that gear has no level requeriment, that anything echanceable is viable. I dont dislike the RNG components, whats more fair than pure luck in any case?

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Apparently, this is one of the best RPGs of the year so far:

Black Desert Online is an absolutely unexpected MMO and a stunning RPG in its own right. Usually, I'm fairly lukewarm about MMOs but Black Desert has managed to reel me in and keep me hooked for well over 100 hours, and I feel like I've just gotten started. As said elsewhere, it thrives by reinventing many of the tired, overdone MMO staples and giving you a fresh, beautiful, invigorating experience that doesn't feel like a scam.

The thing I love the most about Black Desert Online is that it is effectively a single-player game. As one reviewer noted, other players in the world are effectively NPCs with really good AI. This is especially true if you go into settings and turn off everyone's name other than your own. I have yet to find any task in the game - aside from the marketplace, of course - that can't be managed all on your own. Even the "co-op" bosses can be soloed. As someone who really prefers solo play, this is one thing I've come to adore.

I can easily recommend this game for fans of heart-racing combat, intricate crafting, trading, house hunters, solo players, and screenshot photographers. And it's got sound RPG mechanics. If you like your combat slow and measured, this might not be the game for you.

Black Desert Online has a little something for everyone. I'm having a blast with it, and I don't think I'll be quitting anytime soon.
  • Epic, lightning-fast action combat
  • Breathtaking graphics
  • Good customization, lots of tweakable settings
  • Probably the best character customization anywhere
  • A world you can live in and truly make your own

http://www.rpgwatch.com/articles/black-desert-online-review-371.html

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
the best in the market. but too grindy and nonlifey, i quit it a while ago and never looked back.

Lhynn

Arcane
Wizards are slower and more of a ranged heavy hitter kind of beast, sorcs are high mobility/iframe melee rogues.

So the ranged abilities of the sorc are just complementary soft hitters used to harass distant targets? Curious either way. Might as well try both classes.

Could use some early game build suggestions so I don't fuck up too damned much though. Anybody mind giving me some tips in that department?

Lhynn

Arcane
Talk to a good, powerful sorc/wiz, because point farming later on becomes a pain in the ass and its not nearly enough to max all abilities, and most of them are shit either way.

I would go with a wizard as they have a much easier time leveling.

Fair enough and thanks for the advice.

My main worry is that the wizard will turn out to be a bit simple in terms of gameplay with little spazzyness required on my end. I don't know if levelling one to 20 will confirm or deny my worries about that though so we'll see how it pans out. Damned fun games though from what little I've played it.

Lhynn

Arcane
Wizards are all about spike damage and control. They are kind of slow and fragile, but the sheer mass murder they can commit makes them really fun to play.

If you want something more twichy sorcs are better.
You still want to fill all your character slots because every character gains stamina separately, and stamina is very important.

Drakron

Arcane
Sorc was OP back when I was playing, I doubt much changed.

The pecking order was Sorc->Wiz/Witch->Ranger but Ranger taken a big nerf but still this is BDO were ranged rules.

I did read the patch notes of this week and apparently they buffed everyone and nerfed the mobs as well raising XP, I might give it another spin but its only up in Friday anyway and honestly, there a very big flaws that cannot just be corrected by simple buffs/nerfs.

Beastro

Arcane
Never understood this game and its name.

How can you make a game called Black Desert and not have any fucking desert or harness presented in the screenshots, let alone not model the world on something like Dark Sun?

JasonNH

Augur
Judging from the quality of the localization work I saw in the beginning, it was probably intended to be Black Dessert.

Is it actually worth picking up some new threads on the market? Was thinking about investing some money in a luck armour set since it wouldn't set me back too much.

Heh, got to find a guild soon so I can stop asking stupid questions on the Codex.

Drakron

Arcane
Usually you want Boss Armor or Grunil but thats kinda expensive (it gets worst when you have to repair durability) and before that it depended in the class really, Valkyries used Agerian because casting speed and attack speed is important for them, Rangers used Heve because they need the HP of the set and people also mixed sets to get the set2

Grimil is because its a good allround set that you can gem what you need, keep in mind that things like attack speed, cast speed, luck, etc ... cap at +5 so never bother going beyond +5 in any of that ... if you are a caster anything with casting speed is a must.

Also let me tell you a trick, if you have knowledge for the convertation minigame you can buy those "base" sets from the mercgant but you need Amity to be usually around 50 so they sell them and annoying everyone you buy something that is unlocked by Amity it lowers it, you can get most sets from the merchants but I dont think Heve and Fortuna are sold (Grunil however, is but its on Altavista or whatever that shithole is called and its unlikely you can even start the minigame until you explore Meriah areas), if you want to buy a set then get a +15 set that its expensive but at least its fully enchanted.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Might be a little bit outdated nowadays, the first couple of priorities should still be valid. For PvPing it oftentimes made more sense to wear 2 heve pieces and 2 other armour pieces depending on which bonuses you wanted, mostly because Heve has 2 gem slots while all other armours up until later only have 1. Gems break when you die though, so if you die a lot avoid Heve.

y65qNFX.png

Drakron

Arcane
Heve was just because Rangers had shit HP and was only for survivalability , I know they buffed HP values across the board and nerfed mobs across the board so that might not be as important.

Grunil armor+shoes also gives HP +150 hp (Grinil is a bit odd as set go, its a bit specific on bonus but it does have a set4 in EU/NA) and Heve 2 is +250 hp so a mix of Grunil armor shoes + Heve Gloves and helmet would give 400 HP that certainly was not shabby, both are 2 Gem slots so its still good as you can take a extra hit or two from mobs.

A lot of info might be outdated, I read on the Reddit they apparently buffed the weapon skills so they scale with the levels so they might be more relevant to put points in now as before everyone skipped then until they had nothing else to put points in, also accuracy was also buffed on all classes so it might be less important now that AP.

Edit:

I really dont like to say to spend money on the store but ... apparently they are having a sale with 50% off in certain things, you might want to invest on a pet and in a costume because whatever they say, costumes bonus are damn good.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Well I ran 2 Heve/2 Taritas on my valk, not because of hp (valks are pretty much unkillable anyway), but because I got higher SP/stamina and was still able to max my castspeed. It was more costly though since it required a couple of gems that were upwards of a million each each time you died, and upgrading certain Heve pieces to +15 is way more expensive too. A friend of mine ran a sorc and was also using a 2/2 setpiece setup with Heve for similar reasons, not sure what other set he ran though. If you don't die it's worth it in the long run though, especially since I was planning on running 2Taritas/2Grunil until I got boss armor anyway.

If you want to spend money on the game, get a pet or two. Grinding without a pet is a huge pain in the ass, having 2 lv10 pets basically means you will not have to loot yourself anymore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom