Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Black Geyser, a brand-new RTwP RPG - now available on Early Access

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by GreenMagicSpell, Apr 27, 2015.

1. copebot Learned

copebot
    They don't have an advertising budget, but I get what you mean. If you look at the 'Story Rich' tag on Steam, it's a dog's breakfast of results that even includes lots of titles with no story at all, with most of the Top Sellers being AAA cinematic titles with a story focus.

[​IMG]
    So, I believe that when most shoppers are following recommendations based on this tag, they are buying cinematic titles with lots of voiceovers and mostly animated cutscenes, including the two MMOs on this list. I believe that when developers of games like this (which do not have cinematic cutscenes and instead have Infinity Engine style text boxes), they think they're tapping into a goldmine of demand, but in fact they are just being confused by the demand for something else entirely. If you were doing a marketing breakdown of why games like Pillars 2 did not sell well, this kind of miscalculation helps to clarify things.

I'm sure that if you focus grouped 10 people who loved Red Dead Redemption 2 for its story aspects and put them in front of a text dialog game with non-animated voiceovers, you would get a unanimous negative response. It's trying to sell (bad interactive) novels to people who are shopping for (bad interactive) movies.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Krivol Magister

Krivol
    The story will be so good in BG as vegetables on fertilized land!

• When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    • quality shit quality shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Nortar Erudite Patron

Nortar
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Steam tags were a mistake, just look at what Steam queue offers me to play based on the tags of the games I've played.

[​IMG]

• incline x 10
    • Funny x 6
    • Prestigious x 4
    • Excited! x 4
    • feels good man x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Ontopoly Hater of Larian

Ontopoly
    The term rpg has lost all meaning resulting in the proper rpg'ers getting mixed up with weebs and decliners. We're either going to have to go the way of the crusade and fight back for it, or the way of the Jesuit and separate off of them and do our own thing how we see proper. I don't want to see any real rpg fan get recommended another weeb jrpg ever again.

• Deus Vult Deus Vult x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Meredoth Arcane

Meredoth
    This games seems way more baldur's gate than BG3. Can't wait to test the wintermage.

• incline incline x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grapeocean/black-geyser-couriers-of-darkness/posts/3256444

• incline incline x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    PoE 0.75 looking good enough, now let's hope it plays better.

• Agree Agree x 8
    ^ Top  
  8. Meredoth Arcane

Meredoth
    Lets hope that is a BG2 clone, not a PoE clone ie - no balance cultism.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Wulfric Pinewood Arbiter Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy

Wulfric Pinewood
    Really can't wait to play this gem of game.

• incline incline x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Ontopoly Hater of Larian

Ontopoly
    I'm actually surprised by the amount of different enemies and locations I've seen in the promo images. I was expecting this game to be a tech demo; possibly a good experience but on a small scale.

• incline incline x 6
    ^ Top  
  11. Ontopoly Hater of Larian

Ontopoly
    The goat head on Chimera has always seemed pretty useless to me. It's not possibly pulling its weight? Now in something like Dragons Dogma where it can cast spells, its a different story. But if this Chimera was a spell casting Chimera, the head would be a lot more suitable if it was lower down on the back of the creature. Surely a Chimera would be a lot more intimidating if it had a second lion head on it's back rather than a goat head. The snake is an obvious advantage, as is the lion head. I'm just not sure what the goat is there for.

• Doggy Doggy x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Don't be fooled, goats are right cantankerous bastards.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. copebot Learned

copebot
    The goat head is there to make it more frightening, since it's partly familiar and partly a horrible monster. The Greeks were mostly goat herders when it came to domestic animals because the terrain is not generally well suited to cattle. The goat head is also supposed to breathe fire anyway.

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Krivol Magister

Krivol
    Goat? You mean like goatse?

• butthurt butthurt x 2
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Cvilidreta Barely Literate

Cvilidreta
    i remember how we, the community, asked the Obsidian team to include invisibility into Pillars Deadfire; their answer was that they won’t as that could break the game…. Man how i miss counterspelling of BG2 in modern rtwps. Detect invisiblity, dispell magic, all that stuff you had to do to be able to target an opponent. Casters would launch protective spells in sequencers and so could launch their other spells. Most casters in IWD, execpt Malavon, are interrupted and done with ranged weapons, but BG2 added a whole new layer of complexity to it. It was cool to play casters who weren‘t just there for dealing (area) damage. Grape ocean says on their GOG page that there will be spells to control the battlefield- so am hoping for some serious stun/paralyze, slow, fear/panic and other stuff.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  16. Meredoth Arcane

Meredoth
    Yep. casters being only good for AoE DPS is a mmo bastardization.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Ontopoly Hater of Larian

Ontopoly
    It was a better time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Meredoth Arcane

Meredoth
    Clerics being only healers and casters only AoE DPS is mmo bastardization. Clerics should be agents of his deity in the mateiral plane. A cleric of Myrkul, a cleric of Talos and a cleric of Tyr should be completely different. Just like magic users, a human necromancer and a gnome ilusionist should be extremely different. Fighters, a fighter specialized in dual wielding with axes and a archer should be different too.

So far, Black Geyser seems to not follow the convention "mage = aoe DPS" as it allows mages to be
    And clerics to be :

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Lambach Arcane

Lambach
    Jesus Christ, guys, just call it a "Rest", no one will think any less of you. :lol:

• Funny Funny x 14
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Zed Duke of Banville Zo Kath Ra Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    Yes, already in original Dungeons & Dragons, evil (chaotic-aligned) clerics lacked the turn undead ability and had reversed version of many clerical spells, meaning they could only cause harm rather than cure. And D&D/AD&D clerics were always relatively versatile compared to fighters without magic and to magic-users with minimal fighting ability. For their part, magic-users could vary greatly depending on which spells they had available. Fighters were largely interchangeable, though. :M

MMOs have been a bane on CRPG gameplay.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  21. Lambach Arcane

Lambach
    Well that's interesting. This might be the only RPG I can think of that will discourage looting everything in sight and taking anything that isn't nailed down, and not just by a limited inventory. At least if I understood this correctly:

• Brofist x 4
    • incline x 3
    • Interesting x 2
    • gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. cyborgboy95 Prestigious Gentleman News Cyborg

cyborgboy95
    Some new infos from discord

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • nice nice x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Meredoth Arcane

Meredoth
    Some retroclones like Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea has even unique spell lists for unique subclasses. Casters could be Cryomancers, Illusionists, Pyromancers, Necromancer, Illusionists or Witches. Each one with a specific spell list. If you are playing as a cryomancer, you can't learn how to cast fireball. But if you are playing as a pyromancer, you can't learn how to cast cone of cold. And there are a lot of differences in fighter subclasses too. For example, a Fighter can be a Berserker, Barbarian, Cataphract, Paladin, Ranger or warlock.

Fighters get much more cool abilities, not only "i attack". Cataphract gains immunity to fear and all about mounted combat. Barbarians can't make complex poisons based on alchemy but they can make poison picking a venomous snake. Can leap to close distance, sense magic, detect tracks, and at lv 9, he can become a tribal leader. They distrust sorcerers(which makes then able to detect it) and you can easily make a "Conan clone" in the game.

Classes in Black Geyser seems cool too. Templars get a lot of cool stuff. They will probably be the best undead killers in the game. And best anti magic too since they are resistant vs illusions. Highlander seems like the closest to Barbarian. But I am really hyped for is Necromancers and Winter Mages.

"Can build Ice Golems from a certain (very high) level" - source https://www.blackgeyser.com/game-classes#fighter

I can't wait. Build your own ice golem. You don't see it very often in CRPG's. I like Gothic 2 - Returning but you just create a ice golem from tin air as a circle 4 water mage. I wanna actually gather reagents and do the ritual to get him!!!

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. cyborgboy95 Prestigious Gentleman News Cyborg

cyborgboy95
    https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1374930/view/4152868477921392183

• Brofist Brofist x 9
    • incline incline x 5
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Ontopoly Hater of Larian

Ontopoly
    Clickable signs? WOW. I'm so hyped for this game.

• Excited! x 6
    • Funny x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.