Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness - Tales of the Moon Cult expansion on the way

JDR13

Arcane
Question to those playing EA: Is writing really that bad or it just triggered Steam babies by using "his" instead of "them" for character of unknown gender?

Any company that doesn't fly flag of New ClownWorld Order, is my fren
I think its better them most writing done by NU Obsidian, Bethesda or Larian. No huge lore dumps, no constant wokeness no unnecessarily long descriptions. I would say its the same level as old Bioware (BG2, DA:O). Simple, solid, entertaining, practical dialogues and BELIEVABLE, memorable characters. Its not exactly Disco, Arcanum, Sunless Sea, VMB or KOTOR 2 but still better then 90% of other so called RPGs we get nowadays.

Eh? I don't think it's on the same level as anything from old Bioware. Not in any aspect. It's a decent imitation, but that's all.

GloomFrost

Arcane
Question to those playing EA: Is writing really that bad or it just triggered Steam babies by using "his" instead of "them" for character of unknown gender?

I think its better them most writing done by NU Obsidian, Bethesda or Larian. No huge lore dumps, no constant wokeness no unnecessarily long descriptions. I would say its the same level as old Bioware (BG2, DA:O). Simple, solid, entertaining, practical dialogues and BELIEVABLE, memorable characters. Its not exactly Disco, Arcanum, Sunless Sea, VMB or KOTOR 2 but still better then 90% of other so called RPGs we get nowadays.

Eh? I don't think it's on the same level as anything from old Bioware. Not in any aspect. It's a decent imitation, but that's all.
Oh sorry I must have missed the good 'ol days when Bioware writing was something spectacular. All I remember is that it was miles behind Black Isle, Troika and Old Obsidian work. Just compare KOTOR to KOTOR 2.

JDR13

Arcane

Oh sorry I must have missed the good 'ol days when Bioware writing was something spectacular. All I remember is that it was miles behind Black Isle, Troika and Old Obsidian work. Just compare KOTOR to KOTOR 2.

Cool story, but I didn't say anything about it being spectacular. Black Geyser is not on the same level though in any way. I'm not just talking about writing here.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Did they actually change a lot from the play test to early access? Didn't they come out a couple days apart? I tried the demo but not the early access even though I have it from kick-starting. Worth a try? Because I was just going to wait until release day.

Stokowski

Arcane

By "really that bad" you mean "grammatically correct", right?

1264671.jpg

Readher

Savant

I wouldn't say it's bad, but the game is fairly railroaded so far. Most of the dialogue options are Yes/No plus optionally slightly wacky versions of the two. Few dialogues have any skill checks. From what devs or people close to devs (unsure) are saying on Discord though, various branches and choices will be added during EA. The greed system which is supposed to be a big feature also isn't implemented fully, and that's supposed to be heavily tied to choices. So yeah, most of the stuff I've encountered so far (18 h) is fetch quests of different flavors. You'll definitely be spending much more time in combat than interacting with NPCs.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Tier 4 necromancy is great. Persistent acid poison + ability to summon skeleton halberdier with a base spell slot.

Q84qY8J.png

I'm playing with just 3 party members so I can get high level magic sooner. Can't wait to see how amazing tier 6/7 necromantic magic will gonna be.

vazha

Arcane
I realize its early access, but does it include the entire game content? I am tempted not to wait another year and play it straightaway.

Shrimp

Arbiter
I realize its early access, but does it include the entire game content? I am tempted not to wait another year and play it straightaway.
Not currently, but according to their Steam page they plan on eventually adding the following chapters.

EA Phase 2
  • Northern areas
  • Backer rewards: custom spells, random encounters, items, plants
  • Temple system
  • Optimizations and performance enhancements
  • Chapter 3 of main quest
EA Phase 3 (Full Game Launch)
  • Stronghold System
  • Desert Areas
  • Improved item mechanics
  • Full greed system
  • Pets
  • Optimizations and performance enhancements
  • Deeper roleplay options in quests
  • New item types
  • Improvements to character models
  • Visual improvements
  • Chapter 4 (final chapter) of the main quest

Ulysa

Scholar
I realize this is a simple game and not original but fuck it, I had fun the little I played. Particularly enjoying a humbling personal beginning without being bombarded with lore or 30999 simultaneous stories about things I don't give a fuck. I really like the music and art. I love that the dialogues are consice and I can't believe how much I missed that. I didn't want to go to sleep and looking forward playing more.

rojay

Scholar
I enjoyed it too. Not going to make me forget Baldur's Gate, but there are some interesting concepts that they could develop.

Also, thank those of you who hold KOTOR as the high point of crpg writing. Let's me know our opinions... differ.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
take a look at these grafix whjores

The least they can do is have a walk cycle that doesn't look like everyone's got scoliosis.

E:
upload_2021-8-29_8-17-34.png

Okay I smirked at that

e2: Aaaand with a crash while loading into the market of the first big city my adventure comes to an abrupt end.

I get what they're going for and some of their ideas are alright but at the same time the quality of the models, the VO, the writing itself, QoL are... not that great. Nothing that couldn't be improved but this being an EA title we all know what'll happen...

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom