Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness - Tales of the Moon Cult expansion on the way

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
ImprobablePause

Is Schoolfart still in the game? Just say yes and this is a day 1 purchase for me. Otherwise, I'm not sure I'm willing to support a company that doesn't believe in Schoolfart.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
This is the text layout in Pillars of Eternity. This is really tiring to read.
unknown.png

Having not played POE1, the writing above isn't that bad if it's just an excerpt from a novel. Unfortunately, in vidya form, I can imagine how tiresome it must be to have to go through so much exposition at every interval. Most modern Amerikwan authors suck at writing too.

Sorry, but the writing is a most inelegant pouring of the verbal form to writing. "This woman sits with them." is the perfect example. Everyone speaks like that. Nobody should write like that.

thesecret1

Arcane
Having not played POE1, the writing above isn't that bad if it's just an excerpt from a novel.
It is, actually. Despite the long-winded description, they still failed to avoid telling (instead of showing) all throughout and, worst of all, the entire thing has an extremely repetitive sentence structure. Combination of those two things then results in text that is not actually descriptive despite trying to be so (because it is tell-y instead of show-y) and very tiring to read (due to the repetition). Overall it looks like the writing of a high schooler trying to imitate actual book writers, without knowing what they're doing or why.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Despite the long-winded description, they still failed to avoid telling (instead of showing) all throughout and, worst of all, the entire thing has an extremely repetitive sentence structure. Combination of those two things then results in text that is not actually descriptive despite trying to be so (because it is tell-y instead of show-y) and very tiring to read (due to the repetition). Overall it looks like the writing of a high schooler trying to imitate actual book writers, without knowing what they're doing or why.

Describes Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series to a T!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Huh. Why don't they release the trailer from the Steam page on YouTube? Actually there hasn't been a Kickstarter update or even a tweet about it.

vazha

Arcane
Huh. Why don't they release the trailer from the Steam page on YouTube? Actually there hasn't been a Kickstarter update or even a tweet about it.
What is it about them so far that led you to a conclusion that these are people partial to logical decisions? God knows why. Probably Schoolfart has some legislation that prevents it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What is it about them so far that led you to a conclusion that these are people partial to logical decisions? God knows why. Probably Schoolfart has some legislation that prevents it.

Something might be coming up: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grapeocean/black-geyser-couriers-of-darkness/comments?comment=Q29tbWVudC0zMzI0ODg1MA==&reply=Q29tbWVudC0zMzI0OTQ3OA==

GrapeOcean Team Collaborator about 14 hours ago
We're not going anywhere, Lone and the game is coming on a treat! Big announcement very soon :)

purpleblob

Savant
There's already short detail of EA in their steam page:

Why Early Access?
“Black Geyser is a vast and complex roleplaying game in development by a small indie team, the game is designed to immerse the player in a medieval fantasy world infested by greed. Designing the world takes time, but we also want to open the world to players to gain valuable feedback on what systems do and don’t work.”
Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?
“We aim to release the full version of Black Geyser in Q1 2022. The exact release date may change depending on the feedback we receive from players.”
How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?
“The final version of Black Geyser will include the full playable story of the game, alongside additional quests and companions to access. We hope to add more story content and polish to the game and expand on some of the already existing game systems, such as crafting and skills. We are aiming to have these items broken down into two phases:

EA Phase 2:
- Northern areas
- Backer rewards: custom spells, random encounters, items, plants
- Temple system
- Optimizations and performance enhancements
- Chapter 3 of main quest

EA Phase 3 (Full Game Launch):
- Stronghold System
- Desert Areas
- Improved item mechanics
- Full greed system
- Pets
- Deeper roleplay options in quests
- New item types
- Improvements to character models
- Visual improvements
- Chapter 4 (final chapter) of main quest”
What is the current state of the Early Access version?
“The scope of Black Geyser has increased since we first went to Kickstarter. Based on fan feedback, it has gotten bigger and bolder, with a larger world and more features. The early access version will be a fully playable roleplaying game with most in-game areas and some of the main plot. The first three chapters of the game will be playable on early access launch, with two more still in the making. Most in-game systems such as combat, skills, spells and crafting are finished and in the balancing and polishing stage.”
Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?
“We are planning to offer the game at a lower price while in Early Access.”
How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?
“We are looking forward to receiving feedback from our players on our Steam Forums and reviews, as well as on our Discord server. We will be implementing changes to content and balancing based on the feedback from the community in an effort to make the best experience possible for our players. We believe that player feedback is critical to the success of the game and we plan to fully integrate suggestions and fixes based on what you tell us!”

Last edited by a moderator:

purpleblob

Savant
EA Phase 2:

- Chapter 4 (final chapter) of main quest

What is the current state of the Early Access version?
“The scope of Black Geyser has increased since we first went to Kickstarter. Based on fan feedback, it has gotten bigger and bolder, with a larger world and more features. The early access version will be a fully playable roleplaying game with most in-game areas and some of the main plot. The first three chapters of the game will be playable on early access launch, with two more still in the making. Most in-game systems such as combat, skills, spells and crafting are finished and in the balancing and polishing stage.”

So first they say chap4 is the final chapter then goes on and say there will be 3 + 2 chapters. LOL

Atrachasis

Augur
So first they say chap4 is the final chapter then goes on and say there will be 3 + 2 chapters. LOL

Chapters 1 - 4: main quest, Chapter 5: post-main quest content?

Just guessing here, but having a final chapter of gameplay (rather than just ending slides) that is in some way reactive to the outcome of the main quest would be neat.

where pics of black guys junk @??

edit: wait this is an actual game? Wow it actually looks promising, I thought this was vaporware, maybe I should erase my edgy trollling in that case?...

at the very least I will surely wish-list this, it looks nice..

Last edited:

purpleblob

Savant

Chapters 1 - 4: main quest, Chapter 5: post-main quest content?

Just guessing here, but having a final chapter of gameplay (rather than just ending slides) that is in some way reactive to the outcome of the main quest would be neat.

More like DLC chapter I bet.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
No gods or kings. Only Schoolfart.

EA Phase 2:
- Northern areas
- Backer rewards: custom spells, random encounters, items, plants
- Temple system

- Stronghold System
- Desert Areas
- Improved item mechanics
- Full greed system
- Pets
- Deeper roleplay options in quests
- New item types
- Improvements to character models
- Visual improvements
- Chapter 4 (final chapter) of main quest”
No "doubled reactivity"? Lame. :rpgcodex:

Shrimp

Arbiter
Can a full launch truly be considered an early access phase? Unless they intend to release the full game in an incomplete state of course.

Shrimp

Arbiter
I don't have anything against the UI, but the first time I saw a screenshot of this game I genuinely thought I was looking at a Pillars of Eternity mod.

Johnny Biggums

Learned
Re: animations, the characters and monsters ambulating in lock sync is annoying. It's the same in Solasta. If these small studios can't afford to invest in a wider variety of animations, I wonder if it would it be possible to introduce some variation in the timing.

agris

Arcane
Patron
they don't need more resources or animations, just the desire to change the implementation of the animation system. there should be a random component of when animations begin, to avoid that lock-sync look.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
this game looks so identical to pillars that youtube marked the gameplay trailer as pillars of eternity

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom