Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness - Tales of the Moon Cult expansion on the way

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
The term rpg has lost all meaning resulting in the proper rpg'ers getting mixed up with weebs and decliners. We're either going to have to go the way of the crusade and fight back for it, or the way of the Jesuit and separate off of them and do our own thing how we see proper. I don't want to see any real rpg fan get recommended another weeb jrpg ever again.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grapeocean/black-geyser-couriers-of-darkness/posts/3256444

Black Geyser Lands on GOG. Wishlist it Now!

Ho there, adventurers!

Late last month we were excited to finally launch our Steam Page. The page took a while to put together and we’re incredibly pleased with our community's feedback on it, as well as the latest trailer.

We have some additional news to share with you: Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness is going to be available on GOG, and the page is live right now!

We're thrilled to have Black Geyser heading to GOG, and we hope this helps the game find a whole new audience outside Steam, to increase our ever-growing community.

5fafd7c632ad7b4b965d3a3f5555ff53_original.png

If you head over to the GOG page, you’ll be able to not only Wishlist the game but you’ll also be able to sign up to receive notifications to stay up-to-date on all things Black Geyser.

To find out more about the game, we posted a community Q&A on Steam a few weeks ago where we answered many of our fans’ burning questions. You can find that right here.

Interested in taking part in the conversation and chatting with other members of the community? Hop into our Discord.

Look forward to jumping into the Kingdom of Isilmerald when Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness launches into Early Access on August 26th, 2021 on Steam and GOG. Don’t forget to ‘Wishlist’ and Follow’ us!

The Black Geyser Team

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
PoE 0.75 looking good enough, now let's hope it plays better.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I'm actually surprised by the amount of different enemies and locations I've seen in the promo images. I was expecting this game to be a tech demo; possibly a good experience but on a small scale.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
The goat head on Chimera has always seemed pretty useless to me. It's not possibly pulling its weight? Now in something like Dragons Dogma where it can cast spells, its a different story. But if this Chimera was a spell casting Chimera, the head would be a lot more suitable if it was lower down on the back of the creature. Surely a Chimera would be a lot more intimidating if it had a second lion head on it's back rather than a goat head. The snake is an obvious advantage, as is the lion head. I'm just not sure what the goat is there for.

copebot

Learned
The goat head is there to make it more frightening, since it's partly familiar and partly a horrible monster. The Greeks were mostly goat herders when it came to domestic animals because the terrain is not generally well suited to cattle. The goat head is also supposed to breathe fire anyway.

Cvilidreta

Novice
Lets hope that is a BG2 clone, not a PoE clone ie - no balance cultism.

i remember how we, the community, asked the Obsidian team to include invisibility into Pillars Deadfire; their answer was that they won’t as that could break the game…. Man how i miss counterspelling of BG2 in modern rtwps. Detect invisiblity, dispell magic, all that stuff you had to do to be able to target an opponent. Casters would launch protective spells in sequencers and so could launch their other spells. Most casters in IWD, execpt Malavon, are interrupted and done with ranged weapons, but BG2 added a whole new layer of complexity to it. It was cool to play casters who weren‘t just there for dealing (area) damage. Grape ocean says on their GOG page that there will be spells to control the battlefield- so am hoping for some serious stun/paralyze, slow, fear/panic and other stuff.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
t was cool to play casters who weren‘t just there for dealing (area) damage. Grape ocean says on their GOG page that there will be spells to control the battlefield- so am hoping for some serious stun/paralyze, slow, fear/panic and other stuff.

Yep. casters being only good for AoE DPS is a mmo bastardization.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Lets hope that is a BG2 clone, not a PoE clone ie - no balance cultism.

i remember how we, the community, asked the Obsidian team to include invisibility into Pillars Deadfire; their answer was that they won’t as that could break the game…. Man how i miss counterspelling of BG2 in modern rtwps. Detect invisiblity, dispell magic, all that stuff you had to do to be able to target an opponent. Casters would launch protective spells in sequencers and so could launch their other spells. Most casters in IWD, execpt Malavon, are interrupted and done with ranged weapons, but BG2 added a whole new layer of complexity to it. It was cool to play casters who weren‘t just there for dealing (area) damage. Grape ocean says on their GOG page that there will be spells to control the battlefield- so am hoping for some serious stun/paralyze, slow, fear/panic and other stuff.
It was a better time.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Clerics being only healers and casters only AoE DPS is mmo bastardization. Clerics should be agents of his deity in the mateiral plane. A cleric of Myrkul, a cleric of Talos and a cleric of Tyr should be completely different. Just like magic users, a human necromancer and a gnome ilusionist should be extremely different. Fighters, a fighter specialized in dual wielding with axes and a archer should be different too.

So far, Black Geyser seems to not follow the convention "mage = aoe DPS" as it allows mages to be
And clerics to be :

Lambach

Arcane
Spells are recorded in spell slots for memorization. There are two types of slots at each spell level: slots for base-energy spells and slots for elevated-energy spells. Elevated-energy spells are usually more powerful than base-energy spells of the same spell level. Once a memorized spell in a given slot is cast, it cannot be used until the next successful Voluntary Deep Sleep (VDS) event.

Jesus Christ, guys, just call it a "Rest", no one will think any less of you. :lol:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Clerics being only healers and casters only AoE DPS is mmo bastardization. Clerics should be agents of his deity in the mateiral plane. A cleric of Myrkul, a cleric of Talos and a cleric of Tyr should be completely different. Just like magic users, a human necromancer and a gnome ilusionist should be extremely different. Fighters, a fighter specialized in dual wielding with axes and a archer should be different too.
Yes, already in original Dungeons & Dragons, evil (chaotic-aligned) clerics lacked the turn undead ability and had reversed version of many clerical spells, meaning they could only cause harm rather than cure. And D&D/AD&D clerics were always relatively versatile compared to fighters without magic and to magic-users with minimal fighting ability. For their part, magic-users could vary greatly depending on which spells they had available. Fighters were largely interchangeable, though. :M

MMOs have been a bane on CRPG gameplay.

Lambach

Arcane
Well that's interesting. This might be the only RPG I can think of that will discourage looting everything in sight and taking anything that isn't nailed down, and not just by a limited inventory. At least if I understood this correctly:

Whenever a creature acts greedily in Isilmerald, the power of Zornilsa, the goddess of greed, grows. Your actions are no exception, so keep this in mind when controlling your party! (rewards, looting, donations in temples etc.) As Zornilsa gets stronger, the kingdom becomes even more chaotic directly affecting gameplay. For example:
  • Prices go up as merchants lose interest in keeping a stable marketplace
  • NPCs become more suspicious and unfriendly, making positive interactions more difficult
  • Lawful citizens may end up as desperate outlaws prone to attacking without provocation
  • Loot Scavengers and hostile adventurer parties may appear after battles and attempt to seize your loot
Hold tight to your money sacks—Greed shall infest us all!

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
magic-users could vary greatly depending on which spells they had available.

Some retroclones like Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea has even unique spell lists for unique subclasses. Casters could be Cryomancers, Illusionists, Pyromancers, Necromancer, Illusionists or Witches. Each one with a specific spell list. If you are playing as a cryomancer, you can't learn how to cast fireball. But if you are playing as a pyromancer, you can't learn how to cast cone of cold. And there are a lot of differences in fighter subclasses too. For example, a Fighter can be a Berserker, Barbarian, Cataphract, Paladin, Ranger or warlock.

Fighters get much more cool abilities, not only "i attack". Cataphract gains immunity to fear and all about mounted combat. Barbarians can't make complex poisons based on alchemy but they can make poison picking a venomous snake. Can leap to close distance, sense magic, detect tracks, and at lv 9, he can become a tribal leader. They distrust sorcerers(which makes then able to detect it) and you can easily make a "Conan clone" in the game.

Classes in Black Geyser seems cool too. Templars get a lot of cool stuff. They will probably be the best undead killers in the game. And best anti magic too since they are resistant vs illusions. Highlander seems like the closest to Barbarian. But I am really hyped for is Necromancers and Winter Mages.

"Can build Ice Golems from a certain (very high) level" - source https://www.blackgeyser.com/game-classes#fighter

I can't wait. Build your own ice golem. You don't see it very often in CRPG's. I like Gothic 2 - Returning but you just create a ice golem from tin air as a circle 4 water mage. I wanna actually gather reagents and do the ritual to get him!!!

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1374930/view/4152868477921392183

a3316c4b7075b26b25391d6d137a4d0a040b263c.png

Ho there, adventurers!

As we march towards our August 26th Early Access release date, we just wanted to give a short update on a few little things we’ve been working on.

You wouldn’t be surprised to hear that we’re hard at work on quality assurance right now, as well as making smaller refinements to the Early Access version to ensure that your Black Geyser experience is as bug free as possible. However, while we might have missed some bugs(that’s the whole point of Early Access!), we still think it’s incredibly important to get the game in your hands as polished as possible.

One of the things we’ve recently done was to take a pass at the existing lighting in locations and buildings to ensure it’s all consistent. We realized that a tavern entrance in the town of Crimson Crossing didn’t look quite right - it had a bit of a lighting problem. As a huge tavern that’s important for travellers preparing to rest their weary heads after a long journey, how would its visitors find it? We’ve taken the time to not only add stronger lighting, but also far clearer signage...

Here's the before and after.

937403eda3d6b6f6e49c2ffa6d1b090b340c69d1.png

Previously in Black Geyser, there was no way to interact with signs when you wanted to establish a location: there is now!

Simply click with the mouse cursor on any signs in the game and the name of the location will be displayed. It might be a small change, but for immersion and getting to know your surroundings that little bit more, we think it makes a big difference.

65db80261d13b3ed3d718c2750eae60341361204.png

Next week we’ll be rolling out a series of blog posts to talk about the Gods of Yerengal, crafting, a closer look at the world and how the greed system works.

Oh, and as a final surprise, here’s something we’ve been working on...

3b2091eb0b328929dd588839da59831daf2f3694.png

Look forward to jumping into the Kingdom of Isilmerald when Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness launches into Early Access on August 26th, 2021 on Steam and GOG. Don’t forget to ‘Wishlist’ and ‘Follow’ us!

The Black Geyser Team

Clickable signs? WOW. I'm so hyped for this game.

In Black Geyser II: Even More Black, Double The Shooting Distance signs not only will be clickable, but will also display useful information. And in Black Geyser III: The Wonderdrug of Tenfold Explosions sign's information will be displayed correctly.

Zyondyne

Learned
I've only followed this game briefly but...

Is there an actual explanation of why it looks (and probably plays) 90% identical to Pillars of Eternity 1? I'm not trolling or anything, I'm dead serious.

Was this game a PoE mod or something in the beginning? Is this a conscious, intentionally taken design decision? Have they acknowledged or explained why it looks like a clone or are they like "nah, there are some small accidental similarities there and there but they're totally different games".

I've always been curious about this but was too lazy to research it myself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom