Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness - Tales of the Moon Cult expansion on the way

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
The release of the combat beta of Realms Beyond after so much delay makes me kinda hopeful that maybe we will also be covered in the glorious incline that is worthy of the name Black GAYsir... SOON?!:bounce:
ESaNBY3.png

Last edited:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
After PFK I've grown disenchanted with the strict isometric thing. I like spinny-rotatey and zoomey-in-and-outey now (with mod and high rez NPC textures - kindly supplied to the modder by Owlcat).

The art quality difference is still there a bit. POE2 really does look amazing in places. But it's not like the difference is night and day (like it used to be with NWN vs. BGII, for example) and the D:OS games and PFK (and DA:I's Frostbite loveliness for that matter) show that full 3-d is very close to being just as artistically pretty as the modern Infinity-inspired games. Going back and playing POE recently, it felt quite psychologically cramped by comparison.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
After PFK I've grown disenchanted with the strict isometric thing. I like spinny-rotatey and zoomey-in-and-outey now (with mod and high rez NPC textures - kindly supplied to the modder by Owlcat).

The art quality difference is still there a bit. POE2 really does look amazing in places. But it's not like the difference is night and day (like it used to be with NWN vs. BGII, for example) and the D:OS games and PFK (and DA:I's Frostbite loveliness for that matter) show that full 3-d is very close to being just as artistically pretty as the modern Infinity-inspired games. Going back and playing POE recently, it felt quite psychologically cramped by comparison.
Full 3d games can look good, but they still can't be compared to what can be (and has been) achieved in terms of beauty with 2d pre-rendered hand-painted backgrounds. D:OS 2 can be gorgeous at times, but it still looks plastic and cartoonish (in a bad way) when compared to old IE games or to the two PoE games.

They can't be compared because they use two completely different artistic mediums. It's like comparing two different forms of art: there obviously are magnificent sculptures, but, since I'm more of a painting guy, I will always take a good painting over a good sculpture.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Full 3d games can look good, but they still can't be compared to what can be (and has been) achieved in terms of beauty with 2d pre-rendered hand-painted backgrounds. D:OS 2 can be gorgeous at times, but it still looks plastic and cartoonish (in a bad way) when compared to old IE games or to the two PoE games.

They can't be compared because they use two completely different artistic mediums. It's like comparing two different forms of art: there obviously are magnificent sculptures, but, since I'm more of a painting guy, I will always take a good painting over a good sculpture.

I don't think that's the essential difference - I said this on the other thread in which I responded on this topic, but I'll reiterate it again. There's no artistic difference, and the building blocks are the same (the 2-d environments are done in 3-d first, after all, and digital painting is digital painting, whether directly on a 2-d surface or on a texture to be used over a mesh).

The difference is that each environment in the 2-d isometric system can afford to look absolutely unique. There's less necessity to re-use assets for the sake of economy (e.g. the grass, the bottles, the knick-knacks, the doodadery, can afford to look completely different in one area than in another). That means there's more artistic freedom in a sense, but it's just a function of time, effort and higher resolution, not some magic fairy dust pertaining only to to 2-d.

vazha

Arcane
The true Baldur's Gate III, cleverly disguised under another name, but the initials betray it to the wise!

Last edited:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

I don't think that's the essential difference - I said this on the other thread in which I responded on this topic, but I'll reiterate it again. There's no artistic difference, and the building blocks are the same (the 2-d environments are done in 3-d first, after all, and digital painting is digital painting, whether directly on a 2-d surface or on a texture to be used over a mesh).

The difference is that each environment in the 2-d isometric system can afford to look absolutely unique. There's less necessity to re-use assets for the sake of economy (e.g. the grass, the bottles, the knick-knacks, the doodadery, can afford to look completely different in one area than in another). That means there's more artistic freedom in a sense, but it's just a function of time, effort and higher resolution, not some magic fairy dust pertaining only to to 2-d.
Take any single area in Deadfire and any single area in Kingmaker, ignoring assets reuse (we are looking at a single area, after all). The Deadfire one will always look a thousand times better.

First four Kingmaker screenshots I found on Google:
screenshot.pathfinder-kingmaker.3840x2160.2017-06-26.21.jpg

DragoleafGulch_Combat_3840x2160.jpg

69009718.jpg

a-screenshot-from-pathfinder-kingmaker-on-pc_xb67.jpg
The same thing, but for Deadfire:
poe2_08.jpg

poe2_05.jpg

1070011_screenhi_1920x1080_en_US_05.jpg
2429-pillars-of-eternity-ii-deadfire-screenshot-1-1576046424.jpg
I mean, come on. Look at a single column in a Kingmaker screenshot and then do the same in a Deadfire one.

I agree with you that it's a function of time and effort, but those two things are a function of the same resource: money. With infinite money, Wrath of the Righteous could look better than Deadfire, but money is always finite and Owlcat will never be able to reach the same level of detail Obsidian did, because they need to make low-detail reusable assets that needs to be viewable from any angle (a sculpture), while in Deadfire you have a fixed image that you can look at only in a single way (a painting). Again, take a brick from a Kingmaker screenshot and compare it to one from Deadfire: not only they don't feel unique because they have to be reused, they also are simply uglier, because the same level of detail is unattainable in 3d without a huge investment of resources.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Take any single area in Deadfire and any single area in Kingmaker, ignoring assets reuse (we are looking at a single area, after all). The Deadfire one will always look a thousand times better.

First four Kingmaker screenshots I found on Google:
screenshot.pathfinder-kingmaker.3840x2160.2017-06-26.21.jpg

DragoleafGulch_Combat_3840x2160.jpg

69009718.jpg

a-screenshot-from-pathfinder-kingmaker-on-pc_xb67.jpg
The same thing, but for Deadfire:
poe2_08.jpg

poe2_05.jpg

1070011_screenhi_1920x1080_en_US_05.jpg
2429-pillars-of-eternity-ii-deadfire-screenshot-1-1576046424.jpg
I mean, come on. Look at a single column in a Kingmaker screenshot and then do the same in a Deadfire one.

I agree with you that it's a function of time and effort, but those two things are a function of the same resource: money. With infinite money, Wrath of the Righteous could look better than Deadfire, but money is always finite and Owlcat will never be able to reach the same level of detail Obsidian did, because they need to make low-detail reusable assets that needs to be viewable from any angle (a sculpture), while in Deadfire you have a fixed image that you can look at only in a single way (a painting). Again, take a brick from a Kingmaker screenshot and compare it to one from Deadfire: not only they don't feel unique because they have to be reused, they also are simply uglier, because the same level of detail is unattainable in 3d without a huge investment of resources.

I think we're largely in agreement (and I'm sorry I didn't clock your scuplture/painting analogy in my response, of course you're right and it's very apt - in fact one might almost say it's the time difference between having to paint all sides of a thing vs just one side of a thing! :) ). Shadows and the luxury of more shadow complexity at no performance hit also has a lot to do with it too.

But I still maintain that the trade-off point isn't unpleasant to make nowadays (not as it was with, say, NWN vs. BGII). For example if you look at the building on the bottom left in the last picture, it's not really that far off something from D:OS2. The main charm is in the more-bespoke nature of the environments in the isometric games.

And as to convergence, I'd say that the 3-d games now look as good as, if not better than, many of the environments from the first BG - again, it's partly a function of resolution. If you zoom in on the ground in PFK, it's like 512x512 or whatever, and in the original game the NPCs are somewhat of a similar resolution. But if you get the high rez 2048x2048 NPC texture pack (same rez as one's characters), it's quite a noticeable difference looking at the NPCs zoomed out, they're more "jewelline." If you could have the same resolution for ground textures and building textures, then the convergence would be even closer.

Last edited:

Citizen

And as to convergence, I'd say that the 3-d games now look as good as, if not better than, many of the environments from the first BG - again, it's partly a function of resolution.

BG games were never pretty. It's IWD that was a real eye candy due to magestic art direction, portraits and wallpaper worthy map backgrounds

Maxie

IWD also trumped most D&D derivated work in that it was set in fantasy Scandinavia, rather than some boring green hills

There are few if any RPGs set in the snowy north in an equally enticing way

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
BG games were never pretty. It's IWD that was a real eye candy due to magestic art direction, portraits and wallpaper worthy map backgrounds
In their time, they were considered to have very pretty graphics.

Citizen

I'm not talking about the techical side of the graphics (they obviously use the same engine as IWD), I'm talking about art direction
artistic.png
and quality of prerendered backgrounds which are orders of magnitude better than BG ones

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I'm not talking about the techical side of the graphics (they obviously use the same engine as IWD), I'm talking about art direction
artistic.png
and quality of prerendered backgrounds which are orders of magnitude better than BG ones
BG 1 & 2 both had some pretty great looking places. 2 more than 1, of course. And indoors always looked much better than the muddy outdoor textures.
But yeah, IWD beats both.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom