Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness - Tales of the Moon Cult expansion on the way

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I hope it doesn't have any bugs.
You literally fight spiders in the second map.
SPIDERS ARE ARACHNIIIIIIIIDS
Bugs with an extra pair of legs and head+thorax fused into one part..
Sounds like bugged bugs.
IT'S A BUG IT'S A FEATURE (i want to make arachnid pun with feature my brain isnt big enough)
Yeah that arachnid pun doesn't really have a lot of legs to stand on.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
A couple of days ago I finished Black Geyser - the game took me 34 hours and ended with a clear sequel hook. Pity it won't probably be realized now that the company is basically bankrupt.

The game nails the atmosphere of early Infinity Engine games, it has the charm. The world is extremely generic with the exception of the plague of greed - which in my campaign never amounted to anything, because I was playing a pretty generous character and always abstained from monetary compensation for quests (still ended with 130 000 gold, because the economy was hilariously broken).

Where the game fails is the difficulty. As I've already written, the economy is totally broken. You get rich no matter what you do. I think the only option to spend that fortune is to give large donations in temples. Which doesn't make much of a difference anyway because the best gear you get as loot from fallen enemies, not purchase in shops. Combat - with the exception of several battles in last 2 locations - was piss easy. Even enemies that are supposed to be challenging - like the boss in Amanuel's Hoard - proved to be total weaklings. The only worthy foe proved to be the high priest of the devil god - in his third form he forced me to repeat the encounter several times. Still, a far cry from Sarevok and his party or Irenicus.

Even the romance was barebones - just two dialogues between two quests and that's it - you win the everlasting love of one of your companions. It's sad when you remember the intricate romance questlines of Baldur's Gate 2, how hard it was to win Aerie or Viconia and how you could fuck it up by wrong choices.

In the end Black Geyser is an enjoyable adventure, but also a missed opportunity. I had fun with it and it ended exactly when it should have - but never left a lasting impression.

Still, I hope guys behind it manage to do another game. They certainly have their hearts in the right place.

Cvilidreta

Novice
well, I finished the game with 30k and i did sell lots of magical items i found in chapter 4 / amanuel hoard (finished IWD with around 40k as well as the smithy in Kuldahar had nothing of use for my party to buy). Up to that point i never thought the "economy is broken". Mostly i lost gp through buying several ingredient pouches and potion containers (which cost a fortune) because i seldomly use summons but rather potions/powders thus having lots of ingredients in the inventory. I think summons break the combat so i refrain from using them. In these games , difficulty depends very much on how often you rest, how much you use spells like "healing mist"...
Also, you should play on courier if you're familiar with the IE games, on this difficulty you can't revive dead party members and enemies have better stats.
I agree that where it gets most difficult is in the last chapter though if you tackle the adventurer groups in the early going south of isilbright they can be a tough matchup as you're underleveled and they have better gear (like the group in Fasitgrove). But except of those i didn't find that looting had better gear or that buying from merchants isn't worth it. Kendall blacksmith in garden of delights has quite unique gear for example. Agree on the romances initiated by the love interests, they were like a game in the game in BG2. Now, what we mostly have is a non-gated catalogue of questions player can ask and before you know it, you've finished most dialogue options.
It would be disappointing if the devs stopped here, with the measly amount of around 100k from kickstarter they were more true to the IE games than Obsidian with their 40x bigger kickstarter.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
well, I finished the game with 30k and i did sell lots of magical items i found in chapter 4 / amanuel hoard (finished IWD with around 40k as well as the smithy in Kuldahar had nothing of use for my party to buy). Up to that point i never thought the "economy is broken". Mostly i lost gp through buying several ingredient pouches and potion containers (which cost a fortune)
I found a lot of containers/pouches as loot. Had at least two for ingredients and two for potions.
because i seldomly use summons but rather potions/powders thus having lots of ingredients in the inventory. I think summons break the combat so i refrain from using them.
Oh yes, summons are uber powerful - not because of individual power of the summoned creatures but because AI cannot prioritise between foes and will strive to kill harmless spiders instead of your heavy fighter dealing 30 points of damage with every swing.

Also, most summons bring to the field a group of creatures. Sometimes it becomes completely crazy, with 50-80 creatures on the screen. In the final battle both me and the endboss summoned so many allies that nobody was able to move, we were stuck in a complete clusterfuck, with no possibility for tactical move, everyone was just whacking their immediate neighbour :)
In these games , difficulty depends very much on how often you rest, how much you use spells like "healing mist"...
They should have restricted resting then. I managed to rest without problems in the final location, which, given its nature, really should not allow this.
Also, you should play on courier if you're familiar with the IE games, on this difficulty you can't revive dead party members and enemies have better stats.
So you just load when you lose somebody, lol. The penalties for losing characters are so ridiculously high in BG-CoD (you lose not only an experienced party member but also most of his/her gear, including epic items, which is plain stupid, should be able to just collect equipment from the corpse) that I doubt many people play real Ironman.
I agree that where it gets most difficult is in the last chapter though if you tackle the adventurer groups in the early going south of isilbright they can be a tough matchup as you're underleveled and they have better gear (like the group in Fasitgrove).
Still it's totally doable. Some of the groups of crazy elves might pose a challenge, but you return after a level or two and beat them.
But except of those i didn't find that looting had better gear or that buying from merchants isn't worth it.
Kendall blacksmith in garden of delights has quite unique gear for example.
Alakai sword (the one you collect) or that one-handed longsword that deals ice damage are ridiculously powerful and you can only find them in the game world, not in shops. Same with the most powerful armor and shields.
Agree on the romances initiated by the love interests, they were like a game in the game in BG2. Now, what we mostly have is a non-gated catalogue of questions player can ask and before you know it, you've finished most dialogue options.
It would be disappointing if the devs stopped here, with the measly amount of around 100k from kickstarter they were more true to the IE games than Obsidian with their 40x bigger kickstarter.
I think now they're hoping for a new Kickstarter to finance the expansion. I wish them good luck, but remain sceptical.

notpl

Arbiter
Some people compare it with Pillars. IMO this game is much better than pillars. And when the DLC will gonna launch? I wanna my ice golem and wanna it ASAP.
Comparing it to Pillars is unfair to Pillars. Black Geyser is so easy that the game basically plays itself. In Pillars at least I need to put *some* thought into how to actually play the game.
And Pillars was decently-written, its main problem being a little bit too much of it - which isn't much of a problem, since when you don't feel like reading a wall of text, you can just not do so. Somewhat overwritten and pretentious prose is vastly preferable to the dogshit ESL in this game.

Nm6k

Scholar
-50% on GOG. Buy or no buy?

Just to be sure, this isn't a lgbt game right?
Surprising yes if by lgbt game you mean you can do any of the romances no matter the main character's gender not that the romances are any good though outside of that not really

Last edited:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Worth it. It's a bit barebones and not super-polished, but it's serviceable enough to get absorbed in for a while, for sure. The build system is a little bit different from the norm, which is a nice change if you've been relentlessly playing D&D-a-likes for ages, or whatever. It very much does have a classic Infinity Engine feel and impression about it, just with slightly snazzier graphics than the original.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
So what increases the greed index? Picking up too many items? Or is it purely quest-related C&C?

Goldschmidt

Learned

Worth it. It's a bit barebones and not super-polished, but it's serviceable enough to get absorbed in for a while, for sure. The build system is a little bit different from the norm, which is a nice change if you've been relentlessly playing D&D-a-likes for ages, or whatever. It very much does have a classic Infinity Engine feel and impression about it, just with slightly snazzier graphics than the original.
Bought it on GOG together with Prey and Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Seems last patches should have fixed long loading screens.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Just to confirm: You always start out with one character, despite creating several? Do you meet the rest in the game?

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
The game asks you if you want to create “childhood friends“ or something like that.

So I guess the rest of the party will be other NPCs you meet along the way.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Italian Translation Released
c7bdbf918d56917d32b1044fe733a62e2082ee48.png

Greetings, adventurers!

We are thrilled to announce that Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness is now available in Italian! Our heartfelt thanks goes to Giacomo Falconi from Wordbridge for the Italian translation of the game.

In March, we informed the community about serious issues regarding the current and future operation of the Black Geyser team. We are still working on these issues and will come to a final conclusion in August that we will share with you immediately. Thank you for your patience.

Since our last update, several fixes and improvements have been implemented as well. You can read their list below.

Latest Changes
  • Added Italian localization
  • Black Liquor's icon now appears properly
  • It's no longer possible to kill Bartender Ruflodac in Castle Alastor before he summons his illusions
  • It's no longer possible to attack Deron-Guld soldiers in the Guild Hall during Fair Winds and Foul quest without them fighting back
  • It's no longer possible to skip the enemy soldiers on the battlefield and go directly to their leader during the Only Who Is Left quest
  • Funnel Aura now properly updates effects each turn based on the number of nearby enemies
  • Subcontainer weights are now calculated correctly
  • Isla no longer asks about the Pendulum if the player has already talked to her about meeting him
  • Traps no longer sink into the ground in the lower level of Deron-Guld mine
  • Looting Bent Journal Page no longer increases greed
  • Vile ancients during Sephtys bossfight now correctly have their emerge animations and selection circles
  • Vile ancients now properly emerge during Sephthys bossfight even if the player started it after finishing Catalyst
  • Potion of the Frost Giant and it's recipe are no longer obtainable
  • Modified the recipes of Weak Potion of Exhiliration and Potion of the Raging Tempest
  • Potion of Invisibility no longer scales with player level, it now gives invisibility for a fix 10 turns
  • Removed healing effect from potion of invisibility
  • Removed Fortified effect from Strong Potion of Heroic Defense, it now cures poison instead
  • Increased Shady dealings and Theology check limits in Zornilsa's dialogue at Castle Alastor
  • Covetous Pendant becomes unusable if player refuses to serve Zornilsa at Castle Alastor
If you like our work, you can support the project by posting a review on Steam.

The Black Geyser Team

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's no longer possible to skip the enemy soldiers on the battlefield and go directly to their leader during the Only Who Is Left quest

Disappointing balance.

Modron

Arcane
Yeah that's why crispy's virgin queen tag was taken away because it wasn't ironic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom