Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness - RTwP Shall Infest Us All

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by GreenMagicSpell, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Jenkem お前はもう死んでいる Patron Vatnik

Jenkem
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    either you embrace the meme or the meme embraces you.

• Brofist x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • quality shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    [Strength check] BARBARIAN!

• Funny Funny x 5
    ^ Top  
  3. Krivol Magister

Krivol
    "it's not TRUUUUEEEEE ;((("

• Okily Dokily! Okily Dokily! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    The key difference being, of course, that clearly some do notice it - enough to get their fedora all sweaty, even.

edit: fuck it, it's a meme game anyway.

• Yes Yes x 4
    ^ Top  
  5. cyborgboy95 Prestigious Gentleman News Cyborg

cyborgboy95
    https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1374930/view/2967297141009800045

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  6. Humbaba Arcane

Humbaba
    Is the game good yet?

• No x 5
    • Yes x 4
    • Funny x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Outlander Custom Tags Are For Fags. Patron

Outlander
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    Wow, this Fedora guy sure hates the Black Geyser.

• Disgusting! Disgusting! x 2
    • How about this as a button How about this as a button x 1
    • M'lady M'lady x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Fedora Master Arcane Patron Edgy

Fedora Master
    I went in knowing nothing about the game except what they said on their Steam page and merely posted my immediate initial observations.
    Blame the devs for launching a shoddy title.

• butthurt butthurt x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Krivol Magister

Krivol
    The title is the best!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • How about this as a button How about this as a button x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. fantadomat Arcane Edgy Vatnik Wumao

fantadomat
    [DEXTERITY critical success] A lot of lootz lol. Nicks people's shit and fucks off...

• PIRACY IS WRONG PIRACY IS WRONG x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Angelo85 Arcane Patron

Angelo85
    TL;DR: I'd go with the classic "Good for what it is/wants to be".

So far my impression is that it's exactly what is says on the tin: a budget, Eurojank Baldurs Gate 1. The character attributes and combat mechanics were inspired by PoE though.

Story thus far has been low key, personal level stuff. Companions don't have much interactivity yet (I read that is something that should come later during Early Access: personal quests, more dialogue etc.), essentially you pick them up with one line/exposition scene, can ask them 4 or 5 lines and that's it. I believe I had it occur only twice in 7 hours of game-time that a Companion chimed in at a conversation.
    A handful side quests, mostly one straight forward and short solution, but there was the occasional exception.

Exploration has been mostly outdoor/rural areas with one semi-big main city (4 screens of varying sizes), sadly I haven't encountered something I would call a real dungeon yet (neither the indoor, nor the outdoor version like for instance the Gnoll Stronghold). Some locations "speak for themselves" by telling a story through the environment / witnessing events and you form your own conclusions, which I personally found quite neat.

Combat wasn't challenging yet and mostly has been zerging down enemies. Variety of creatures/models is alright, but combat encounters mostly played out the same because there were no unique tactical compositions of enemy troops or circumstances (unless you count unreachable enemies you have to dispatch with spells/ranged attacks as tactical challenge).

The unique Drying-and-Brewing-System I only tried out a couple of times before I already decided not to bother with it further and just sold the components instead because they take up a huge amount of inventory space and organizing them is a living nightmare.
    I found about I'd say 15 different recipes + the same, if not more different types of ingredients and all of them take an inventory space! You have no recipe book, each recipe is a single scroll you have to keep in your inventory and click through each time you wish to find something or look up how to create something. So essentially for practicality reasons you would have to create either an out-of-game Excel Sheet or look up a Wiki Online every time.
    Having a recipe book were you could transcribe found recipes in-game would have been a much needed convenience IMHO. Perhaps even with the ability to click on a recipe and it automatically adds the components to the Drying/Brewing screen.
    And for the ingredients an extra tab/bag to keep them organized. The way it is implemented right now I go out on a limb and predict not many players will bother with this system, which is a shame really since after all it's one of few truly unique features of this game.

Itemization is - depending on how you look at it - either on the bland side, or what you would expect from a game like this: I found some items that give +stats, apply effects with X chance or cast spell/per day. No talking weapon or Sphere of Annihilation. At least yet, considering I'm only 7 hours in there might be some surprises to come in the item department.

As far as bugs are concerned I had no show stoppers yet. Some quest lines seemed to be not implemented fully yet, which is obviously not a bug but rather due to being Early Access. Other stuff is minor like for instance this one: each character has two weapon sets they can switch through and my thief was equipped with A) a sword which applies a burning effect on hits and B) and ordinary bow. When I switched weapon sets during combat from sword to bow, the bow applied the burning effect as well. So the ordinary bow became effectively a bow of burning. Like I said, it's only minor stuff like this that stood out thus far.

Visuals are alright for a budget title and IMHO there's even a decent amount of voice acting (which itself is pretty decent quality wise). Being a Unity game you never know what to expect performance wise. Unfortunately I had to tone down the graphic settings to keep my Computer from exploding. But optimization might come down the Early Access line. It was perfectly playable on lower graphic settings and my rig is already like 7 or 8 years old now.

All in all I'm excited to play more of this game and it's a pretty fun experience so I would recommend it if you enjoy games like Baldur's Gate, Pathfinder or Pillars of Eternity. Going in you just have to be aware that this game didn't have the budget as the aforementioned titles and therefore you should limit your expectations somewhat. Or in other words: it's the same sport but not the same league.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 22
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Contagium Learned Patron

Contagium
    I took a chance and dropped $22 USD day one. I think the reward will outweigh the risk in the end.

I also bought Grimoire for $36 on release day so wtf do I know.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Readher Learned

Readher
    There is a second fairly big city with multiple districts later on in the game. That's also where you'll encounter a dungeon. Some companions have personal quests implemented, I've already finished one for Bjalla and started next one with her.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. cyborgboy95 Prestigious Gentleman News Cyborg

cyborgboy95
    https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1374930/view/2967297141013418827

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Humbaba Arcane

Humbaba
    Is the game good NOW?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • It's a matter of time It's a matter of time x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. lycanwarrior Learned

lycanwarrior
    Black Geys-er flamboyant just like their white counterparts.

• Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
  18. rojay Scholar

rojay
    You've summed up my experience as well, though I haven't really gotten into the drying/brewing stuff yet. If this was a final release, I'd pass, but there's potential for it to be a good game and based on what I've seen so far I see no reason to believe the developers won't fulfill that potential.

^ Top  
  19. NJClaw OoOoOoOoOoh Patron

NJClaw
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I'm Ridin' with Biden I'm Ridin' with Biden
    Mods will fix it

^ Top  
  20. vazha Prophet

vazha
    Not only is there no crushmaster, but you cant even name your character Crushmast Crushmasterson, because there is a limit on letters. I had to settle for TEH CRUSHMASTER instead. Looks neat in dialogues though - you dont see an errand boy dwarf named Crushmaster every day.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Rage Rage x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. jungl Augur

jungl
    The crafting system is crap they should delete it or heavily revise it. Classes you pick you at character creation you don't even notice they there outside of what items and spells u can use. Game could use more stuff the player doesn't expect like battle encounters in towns and fields. Black geyser has the material to be a fun baldurs gate 1 clone but needs more work.

^ Top  
  22. cyborgboy95 Prestigious Gentleman News Cyborg

cyborgboy95

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. udm Arcane Patron

udm
    Glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read this post :lol::lol:

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. 0sacred Learned Patron

0sacred
    Been playing around with this for a few hours. I like it better than any other RtwP game so far, though I'm yearning a little for PoE's tactical battles.

One of the game's high points is the writing IMO. Dialogue lines are interestingly written and delivered in a somewhat neutral tone where they're voiced. No over the top acting. I was pleasantly surprised that getting uppity with the king resulted in a (though unwinnable) fight.

The game's systems are a bit convoluted, it's hard to say what the meat and potato between skills is. So far I'm not doing any crafting at all and getting along fine.

I'm still not sure wether some of your companion's skills actually do anything (in particular crafting skill and the dialogue skills). Help me out here

Combat is easy and forgettable so far, easily done with autoattacking. They still have a lot of balancing to do there.

tl;dr 7/10 already and bound to get better, but well worth the price already

:happytrollboy:

• Informative x 4
    • Brofist x 3
    • No x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. cyborgboy95 Prestigious Gentleman News Cyborg

cyborgboy95
    https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1374930/view/2968423586102288186

• incline incline x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.