Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness - Tales of the Moon Cult expansion on the way

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1374930/view/3088900581927643929

001cba30e99ebb79e885e0c04dbfad608795fedc.png

Ho there, adventurers!

Damage calculations in combat log are now explained in mouse-over tooltips! The same feature is offered whenever you move the mouse pointer over effect names in descriptions. Also, the game now offers a more user-friendly tutorial for new players. Here's the full list of changes in our fourteenth update:

Fixes and improvements
  • Tutorial is now more player-friendly and fail-safe
  • Damage values in combat console are now explained via tooltips
  • Effect names in descriptions now offer tooltips
  • Travelling is no longer possible with a scattered party
  • Added weather effects to all outdoors areas
  • Added dying animation for Cold specific death
  • Added class-specific starting chests for the Prologue
  • The "Straight Line" formation no longer prevents the party from entering doors
  • Item tooltips no longer exceed screen boundaries
  • Creatures no longer spawn on shared coordinates during day-night changes

Aarwolf

Learned
Sooo... I played it for 8 hours and it's boring as fuck.

The game is empty, literally. Everything is decoration, there are literally none NPC with distinct voice lines, nothing. The tutorial was a snooze fest, but I thought that later exploration would be fun. Oh, what a delusional fool I've been. First map, the road, had two NPCs (joinable dwarf fighter companion and a travelling merchant) and was quite ok. But the next was big city, four districts worth. Big city, I thought, being a quest hub, what can go wrong? Maybe dozens of NPC that has literally the same lines? Or maybe General Store, where you have three or four merchansts and none of them have ANYTHING to sell? Just the same, infurating line. Oh, there were other shops, (four of them) and taverns (at least three or four) - but nothing to do with them.

Some shopkeepers had quests for me. One of them was looking for his niece - even after rescuing her he refused to acknowledge it, and every time when interacted with he had this same line "oh, my niece, nobody seen her for a week" or something. Someone wanted to clear undead infested cemetery - it was so infested that after clearing first crypt (two undead inside) I had nothing more to do. One fight and it was over.

Companions... Are there. Some of them (not-drow sorceress and elven thief) have something to say when joining, but dwarven fighter and nor-orcish priest has nothing to say aside "I want to join forces with you" - and that's all. I would prefer having mercs instead - they are equally silent, but I can build them whatever I like and need.

Pathfinding is atrocious, my party got stuck very oftem, inside of the buildings and outside of them too.

Graphics are quite pretty, but models are... Oh god, I never want to see those hunched abominations ever again, and dwarves... Dwarves are the worst, walking insults to the once proud race, looking like crippled human children with attached fake beards.

This game is bad and looks cheap, very cheap. It's in pre alpha state, with some playable maps, but no story or plot to write home about. I forced myself through this so you don't have to, at least it's all I can do being unfortunate backer of this turd.

Ps - the game's "english" is even worse than my own. Avoid it like a plague.

Aarwolf

Learned
I'm upset that I backed a game, but there is no game inside.

Compare it to WOTR's alpha or BG3's early access to see the difference.

Your review Aarwolf shows this old-school genre might not be for you, as you clearly don't understand the essence of these games. You know, it's like playing chess with a pigeon. Not possible. It knocks the pieces over, and once done, it craps on the chessboard at the end. Your review did that lol

Reminds me to a great poem (riddle).

Retarded and communist,
Dumb as fuck.
Loud and yellow,
but not a duck.

...Who are they? /eurotard communist/

Hint for eurotards: WoTR was full of bugs when release as Full Edition, take a look at their Stem forums. There is no rule to an Early Assess except the devs own conscience

Last edited:
Most of Aarwolf's info seems to be fake, such as no story or that your party gets stuck often because of pathfinding. YouTube has tons of videos of this game, showing that your party never gets permanently stuck. Also, the early access storyline is legit, there is even a full walkthrough from some Ukrainian (sounding) guy.

Theldaran

Liturgist
It's unfair to compare this to WOTR or BG3. Owlcat is building on their previous semi-success (I still find the engine terrible), and BG3 moreso with Larian selling millions of copies of DOS2.

Meanwhile Grape Ocean are noobies in game development and chose a very hard path. They were something like IT consultants or something?

At any rate, people have to choose, based on their sensibilities, which of these games they prefer, they're all kinda different and of course none are that fulfilling. At least we now have some kind of activity in RPG land.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
does the game still suffer from horrible performance
I must say that regardless of all the continuous memeing I gave up on it on day 1 when it was running like shit on me despite looking even worse than pillars

pm_675

Arbiter
New update, and meaty! :bounce:

more content, side quest and all that.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grapeocean/black-geyser-couriers-of-darkness/posts/3369592

Phase 2 Of Our Early Access Is Officially Live

e08c6809801174b2097cd6b13f97bc9d_original.png

After 14 updates since we launched into Early Access in August, we're incredibly pleased to say that update #15 is officially "Phase 2" of our roadmap. Bringing with it huge swathes of changes and improvements, we've been working hard to not only listen to feedback, but bring even more content to Black Geyser.

ae4714b5125211491e52879367c528d5_original.png

• Additional Main Quests: Choices you take affect the game world and the overall story in the last chapter.
  • Fresh Side Quests: A variety of new side quests have been added, including long anticipated companion quests.
  • Re-imagined Starting Experience: The game’s introduction has been completely, revamped with more information, more player guidance and options for how to complete it
  • 6 New Locations: Bringing with it a group of areas from the frozen north, Phase 2 also brings two dungeon areas for players to explore.
  • Character Generation Refinements: The first of two significant improvements to character creation is an improved experience as well as improved UI.
  • Added new low-level spells: Who doesn't want greater flexibility on casters when starting out?
  • Spell & Item Refinements: We’ve rebalanced spells and items to give greater selection, and more power where it’s needed.
  • Combat Update: Damage scaling has been reworked alongside fairer damage interruption.
  • New Temple UI: For recovering from healing and reviving characters, removing curses, and donating.
  • Fresh SFX: New sound sets for both male and female protagonists!
  • Companion XP Catch-up System: Rejoice, your newly recruited companion's XP and level are matched to the protagonist.
  • New Boss Fights: Fresh challenges await as you’ll face off against new bosses who aren’t for the faint hearted. For those who do manage to topple them, they’ll offer unique loot
In the coming days we'll be revealing what's on the horizon for Phase 3, and we look forward to all your feedback surrounding this major update. Be sure to join us on Discord, or across social media, to let us know your thoughts.

What are you waiting for? Go download the update!

/Black Geyser Team

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom