Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness - Tales of the Moon Cult expansion on the way

Stokowski

Arcane
Games aren't complete now until their second DLC is released, and in cases where the publisher is Paradox, never.

Nothing against DLCs that expands on the game (in Paradox case it is questionable at times, though). But these 1.0 releases that are supposed to be the full game, and then the next day we have a roadmap. Another example is Hell Let Loose. Think it was "fully" released last year, but then they announced a roadmap for stuff that should have come in the early access phase. The game is still long from complete, going by features promised. And they are still testing different kind of balances, I mean wtf...

It just feels bad, and it pisses me off.
Yeah, I understand that. My Paradox comment was mostly facetious. Mostly. I enjoy playing Cities:Skylines, a Paradox release, and even after seven years it still lacks features and contains several significant bugs (if feeling generous you might can them unintended behaviours). Even the inevitable DLC is shoddy. The Industries DLC, now four years old, has fundamental flaws in its supply chain AI that have never been addressed.

Koolz

Learned
Possibly Retarded
I have this and will play it when the developers have the game completely where they would like it to be. I don't want to play it and have to send report on everything that could be better. I would like to lose myself in their world.

Saravan

Savant
Yeah but didn't you hear, the developers are not woke.

Nice. I'll definitely check this one out then.

There you go. As long as the devs are (allegedly) not woke the average Codexer is gonna gladly eat that shit up and throw money at any game even if its held up by sticks and ducttape. What shall we call this? Wokewashing?

Also:

you downvote me because you're communists admit it

This is clearly a Redditor. "Downvote" lmao.

Last edited:

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm cautiously enjoying this game, especially after changing the character's voice to something other than "scholar". Whoever thought it was a good idea to have the PC say "this is a waste of time" every time you move... something bad should happen to that person.

Strong BG1 vibes, which is a good thing.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
There you go. As long as the devs are (allegedly) not woke the average Codexer is gonna gladly eat that shit up and throw money at any game even if its held up by sticks and ducttape. What shall we call this? Wokewashing?

Also:

This is clearly a Redditor. "Downvote" lmao.

I'll buy two copies just to own the libs.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Still enjoying this game, just went down south as a diplomat and am now investigating the night-killings and the plague. I expect my appreciation for Black Geyser will continue as long as I can (A) side with the rebels and kill the king, while also being able to (B) kill the patricide.

One weakness of this game vs BG1 is that the companions have a lot less personality. Also, I don't think there's as many of them, or at least they don't show up as soon and the party never feels as crowded. In BG1, right out the gate you had multiple choices that didn't mesh well together, so deciding who to let in was a real choice. Obviously the game wanted you to take Imoen, but the next two were clearly evil/insane and most people probably didn't want them. Then you wind up with the two "good guy" choices at the Friendly Arms Inn, and a quick trip south gives you another few options, with a lead on at least one more. So you've hit your party cap very quickly, some of the characters find each other disagreeable and/or have clear moral leanings that might disqualify them from your group, and so you have significant choices to make about your party composition.

In Black Geyser, though, you get the exact number needed to hit your party cap (Axeman, Tusk Cleric, Wizard Lady, and Thief). No more. Also, they seem totally ignore each other, lack any strong personality traits or opinions that would cause them to conflict with you, and basically there don't appear to be any real choices to make until much later in the game. I don't hate the characters per se, actually I think they show a lot of potential. They just need to be fleshed out more and there needs to be 3 or 4 more of them in the first chapter or two.

Still enjoying this game, just went down south as a diplomat and am now investigating the night-killings and the plague. I expect my appreciation for Black Geyser will continue as long as I can (A) side with the rebels and kill the king, while also being able to (B) kill the patricide.

One weakness of this game vs BG1 is that the companions have a lot less personality. Also, I don't think there's as many of them, or at least they don't show up as soon and the party never feels as crowded. In BG1, right out the gate you had multiple choices that didn't mesh well together, so deciding who to let in was a real choice. Obviously the game wanted you to take Imoen, but the next two were clearly evil/insane and most people probably didn't want them. Then you wind up with the two "good guy" choices at the Friendly Arms Inn, and a quick trip south gives you another few options, with a lead on at least one more. So you've hit your party cap very quickly, some of the characters find each other disagreeable and/or have clear moral leanings that might disqualify them from your group, and so you have significant choices to make about your party composition.

In Black Geyser, though, you get the exact number needed to hit your party cap (Axeman, Tusk Cleric, Wizard Lady, and Thief). No more. Also, they seem totally ignore each other, lack any strong personality traits or opinions that would cause them to conflict with you, and basically there don't appear to be any real choices to make until much later in the game. I don't hate the characters per se, actually I think they show a lot of potential. They just need to be fleshed out more and there needs to be 3 or 4 more of them in the first chapter or two.
Agreed. Devs promised to release a big banter upgrade or something like that.

There is a tad bit more characters available than the party size cap, you'll see later

Antigoon

Augur
If you have a low tolerance for bugs maybe, but which RPGs actually significantly improved by adding content post release?

Pathfinder, Underrail, Age of Decadence, PoE.

Really harder to find a game that wasn't improved.
Pathfinder didnt become better because of added content, but bugfixes. PoE White March was paid DLC, AoD did they even add content post release? Underrail..DLC

Parabalus

Arcane
If you have a low tolerance for bugs maybe, but which RPGs actually significantly improved by adding content post release?

Pathfinder, Underrail, Age of Decadence, PoE.

Really harder to find a game that wasn't improved.
Pathfinder didnt become better because of added content, but bugfixes. PoE White March was paid DLC, AoD did they even add content post release? Underrail..DLC

All of those added substantial free content.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1374930/view/3336616951939837822

35763160ff933b1bb1bf79a8c1384badefb69bd9.png

Ho there, adventurers!

As we continue our post-launch push to improve on all that you've asked, we've delivered two recent updates that deliver key requests: party banter and achievements.

402f37afe2189b4914ccffdcdce27c60bc2032d4.png

Alongside this, we've added the Staff of New Dawn (an item offering resurrection) which sees those who carry it no longer needing to visit temples if a party member dies. We've also finished and extended the Hamlin, Bjalla and Jade companion quests. Take a look at the full notes below.
  • Tons of mini-banters added
  • Finished/extended the Hamlin, Bjalla and Jade companion quests
  • 37 new Steam achievements added (the Arvex one can't be completed yet)
  • Aldnar cutscene (with potential battle) now respects your party formation
  • Multiselect item highlights in shops now disappear properly when switching item category
  • Quest inventory is now shared across party members
  • Items can now be moved to subcontainers (e,g, bottomless bags) via usual inventory "lift & drop" operation (there is no need to open the container UI any longer)
  • Added tutorials for infusion, world greed, Gerdra encounter, and point-of-no-return in Alastor
  • There are now five HP indicator labels (uninjured, slightly injured, injured, badly injured, nearly dead)
  • Minor chain lightning no longer harms party members and allies
  • Changed house name from "Family Home" to "Wilgo's House" for Estranged Sisters quest
  • Dozens of fixes in quests and dialogues
  • Staff of New Dawn (an item offering resurrection) added to Zelima and Ay'eda shops
  • Deron-Guld soldiers are no longer hostile after you side with Aldnar
  • Banter texts remain visible for longer times over characters for better readability
  • World Map tutorial now appears correctly when leaving Crone's Hut
  • Consumable item descriptions are now always displayed correctly
  • Gundemund's Freezing Tips now have proper AoE targeting marker
  • Gerdra messenger cutscene can no longer get stuck
  • Stunned or frozen creatures can no longer evade attacks
  • Wights in Xurzax battle were put closer so that they can notice the party
  • The Pact Prophecy can no longer be put back to its container
  • Fixed missing wardstone description image
As always and for all of you who continue to support Black Geyser and who continue to provide feedback here or on Discord, thank you so much!

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
The over the head stuff is weird. Easy to miss, I think.

Anyway, game continues to be fun. Once you understand the combat it is smooth sailing. Basically give your mages mostly direct damage/debuff spells and let the AI have free reign (although memorise a few AoE & summoning spells for manual casting in big battles). Archers and melee on auto combat, cleric on combat and buffing.

Had a rough time defeating the necromancer boss in the second town, AI can be clever sometimes with summoning units in your back ranks. Now I'm going to do some time traveling to save some morons who got poisoned and can't figure out the cure.

If/ when they release a DLC I will replay as a multiclassed necromancer-fighter or something and just be an arsehole to everyone. The game does need some more dialogue for certain characters. For example, in the second town you get sent to talk to the Aristocrat's friend in a pub, and then report back. However, you can't actually report back until you do several missions for the Aristocrat's friend; if you try to talk to the guy he just says he's busy, even though he clearly told you to report back.

Last edited:

welly321

Scholar
I can tell this game sucks. The only thing I learned after reading ten pages of posts was GreenMagicSpell has a bf. Contrast that with the Underrail thread, where in ten pages of posts you would read about all the different skills and talk about builds and crafting. You get my point.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yeah for someone who exposes themselves as an evangelist of this game; you'd think they'd spend more time talking about the game, builds, party comp, et cetera. Instead they always LARP about their BF.

Yeah for someone who exposes themselves as an evangelist of this game; you'd think they'd spend more time talking about the game, builds, party comp, et cetera. Instead they always LARP about their BF.

People tend to write about what they find most surprising and improbable, you know "human bite the dog", this kind of things.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom