Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness - Tales of the Moon Cult expansion on the way

RPK

Scholar
If I could build an ice golem:
ANbyha1mWTR18DWZ9IhVOHRtnu6MUF9BNoooBW7xseKm620cAGRLZ5NUxvplVMdN455nP1_cnvTrdoepFD1ip-zv_vTMAp6LzGmko7it-YCr8dR9GzO7hc0o-Y_7fojKnI0Z-YtcZsCv8g=s0-d

:shredder:
that's actually really cool

I hope this company gets to develop more games. I found out that they actually developed their engine from scratch which was the bulk of their costs. Now that it's done, they should be able to spend more on production quality and making more interesting RPGs.

Cael

Arcane
Isn't this the one that tries to tell you greed is bad and that you will get punished for being greedy, etc.?

Acrux

Arcane
Here's the detailed update.

It looks like the "difficulty increase" is mostly hp bloat.

I like the change to Charisma and Focus. Now Dex is the only attribute that effects aim and accuracy.

Balance Update Summary
The November 2022 update to game balance addressed two earlier issues of the game: early-game areas were too easy, and the second half of the game could be unfair due to a harsh spike in difficulty. To alleviate these issues, we buffed the Health values of most enemies in the first half of the game, adding additional stats, abilities, and effects where necessary. This concerns areas of the game leading up to about the end of Chapter 3. From Chapter 4, some areas needed a reduction of difficulty instead of buffs. Often these areas had issues with boss mechanics rather than actual creature stats, so we started with tweaking unfair behavior before moving on to stats. Overall, creatures in the second half of the game received mild buffs or mild nerfs, depending on the situation.
The goal is to have Classic-difficulty players be able to complete the game without the use of heavy meta or much side-questing. In turn, Veteran- and Courier-difficulty are meant to provide a challenge with a decent amount of side-questing and proper build optimization.

Attribute Update Summary
The November 2022 update to attributes revolves around the redesign of three stats: Charisma, Focus, and Dexterity. The main focus was to make Charisma a useful stat in combat, in a way that the other attributes keep their usefulness too. To achieve that, two stats that were previously unaffected by attributes will now scale from them: Critical Strike Chance and Status Effect Chance. The interrupt system, clean hit, and critical strike rules were also updated to reflect these changes. The following paragraphs discuss the attribute update in details.

Interrupt System
The interrupt system now considers the attributes of both the attacker and the defender when an attack is made. Characters can be built to cause or withstand an increased amount of interruptions based on their stats and equipment. To cause interruptions, slower weapons are more effective than fast ones, while spells, specifically Elevated-energy spells are the most potent options. On the other hand, casting spells leaves the user vulnerable to interruption. Slower weapons, especially when paired with a shield, are the most effective for evading interruption.

Charisma
Charisma is now a heavily offensive stat besides providing utility in social situations. The attribute benefits both Critical Chance and Status Effect Chance, as well as the Interrupt Strength of a character. These associations are in line with its broader meaning of cunning and fighting creativity. This makes Charisma a very useful stat to damage dealers, especially those who can keep themselves out of harm's way.

Focus
Focus, in turn, now focuses more heavily on defenses. Focus benefits Interrupt Evasion, and to some extent, Critical Chance. It also kept its pre-existing defensive attributes (Dodge chance and Block chance). This makes Focus a useful stat for both spellcasters and frontline characters.
Critical effects now extend to damaging and healing spells, thus Focus is desirable to both offensive and defensive casters.

Dexterity
Dexterity is now the sole attribute contributing to Aim and Accuracy. In addition, it pairs with Charisma to constitute a character's Status Effect Chance. Like Focus, it kept its pre-existing defensive attributes (Dodge chance and Parry chance). Dexterity is now primarily useful for weapon users and crucial for improving hit ratings.

Clean Hit
The bonus damage for Clean Hits has also been increased, adding a moderate buff to Dexterity, to balance it with the buffs to Charisma.

Goldschmidt

Learned
Can you play this game with constant camera zoom height to have the classical BG feel? In Pillars of Eternity, you tend to zoom in when you enter a smaller area with no possibility to zoom out and it tends to zoom in and out all over the place.

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
Is there anywhere that discusses character creation, or what all of these stats actually mean?

Can you play this game with constant camera zoom height to have the classical BG feel? In Pillars of Eternity, you tend to zoom in when you enter a smaller area with no possibility to zoom out and it tends to zoom in and out all over the place.
Yeah it retains your zoom level between areas. You can use mouse wheel to zoom-in or out manually.

Is there anywhere that discusses character creation, or what all of these stats actually mean?
In the online character creator, hover the mouse cursor over something, and a tooltip appears for me. My bf confirmed this is how it's supposed to work

Jinn

Arcane
The real question is why a developer's supposed girlfriend (or good friend) needs to be the go-between on the codex. Get over here and talk to us. Your time might be precious, but if one of the few sites on the internet that cares about the game has questions, come interact with us directly. It all seems so unreal.

welly321

Scholar
guys is this game actually decent? I've been thinking about diving into a new RPG and I am a BG and BG2 fan. I also like PoE 1 White march. Let me know if you recommend I try this. Thanks

rojay

Scholar
guys is this game actually decent? I've been thinking about diving into a new RPG and I am a BG and BG2 fan. I also like PoE 1 White march. Let me know if you recommend I try this. Thanks
It's not going to make you forget Baldur's Gate, but it was a decent game when I played it 6 months ago, and it appears they've continued fixing bugs and adding content. The visuals get a lot better after the first area or two.

Tenebris

Scholar
It's like when you feel like eating a burger but are too lazy to cook one yourself so you get Burger King. It's mediocre but it will scratch that itch. It has absolutely nothing on White March though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom