Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Black Legend Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Black Legend; Warcave

Black Legend, the 17th century mercenaries-vs-cultists turn-based tactical RPG from Belgian studio Warcave, is out today. We already saw the game's launch trailer in the release date announcement earlier this month, so I'll just quote the press release before moving on to the reviews.

Geel, Belgium, March 25, 2021—Warcave is thrilled today to launch Black Legend,—the dark, turn-based strategy RPG featuring an intricate alchemy battle system, 15 playable classes and a thrilling story about a bloodthirsty cult—on PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch. Black Legend is also available for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X via backwards compatibility.

Black Legend is available for all platforms for $29.99 USD, with a 10% discount available on Steam, PlayStation and Switch for the first week, and is available in English, French, German, Spanish, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Dutch, Japanese, and Korean.

In Black Legend, survival depends on your team of mercenaries mastering both strategic combat and the art of alchemy in this dark fantasy world directly inspired by folklore and stories from 17th-century Belgium and the Netherlands. Explore deep into the cursed city of Grant to battle cultists, monsters, and more on your quest to eradicate a madness inflicting fog that shrouds the streets.​

Black Legend's review scores are mediocre across the board, with reviewers disapproving of its unengaging narrative, mazy environments that require lots of backtracking, and overall jankiness. It may not have helped that most of the reviews are from console-centric websites. However, all of them seem to have enjoyed the game's character system and alchemy mechanics.

Those who'd like to check out the latest indie tactical RPG flavor of the month for themselves can grab Black Legend on Steam and GOG for $30, with a 10% launch discount until next week.

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
... most of the reviews are from console-centric websites.

Well, once you notice the sterile UI typical for consoles, and the disgusting Bethesdian quest compass, it's clear what they were aiming at.

PlayStation Universe's reviewer says:

Terrible Navigation Leaves You Running In Circles Instead Of Exploring
One major downside to exploring the town or even navigating it is the lack of a map. As I explored the towns, various sectors started to blend, and I lost my way a lot. During a quest, the quest giver told me to head north to reach the Port, and that’s all the information I was given.

The problem is every time I went north; I would run into a dead end. The only way I could navigate the town is the various signposts that tell me what direction to reach the various town sectors. But again, They would constantly lead me astray, telling me to head in one direction that leads to a dead end.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Hah, you beat me to this one. I have to say, the setting looks friggin awesome, the trailer has me interested, but the reviews on Steam are a bit scary.

agris

Arcane
Patron
... most of the reviews are from console-centric websites.

Well, once you notice the sterile UI typical for consoles, and the disgusting Bethesdian quest compass, it's clear what they were aiming at.

PlayStation Universe's reviewer says:

Terrible Navigation Leaves You Running In Circles Instead Of Exploring
One major downside to exploring the town or even navigating it is the lack of a map. As I explored the towns, various sectors started to blend, and I lost my way a lot. During a quest, the quest giver told me to head north to reach the Port, and that’s all the information I was given.

The problem is every time I went north; I would run into a dead end. The only way I could navigate the town is the various signposts that tell me what direction to reach the various town sectors. But again, They would constantly lead me astray, telling me to head in one direction that leads to a dead end.
This actually sounds like the type of world navigation we always ask for in games.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, it actually sounds like premise for bad revios.
Cause, you know - majority of players are not mentally capable to play like this.
You could assume I'm just EDGY much, but it's is actual and scary truth.
I was watching twitch for like month, and was paing attention for how people are playing the type of game that doesn't require anything special from a player - just to watch carefully and plan 1 step ahead, survival game - Breathedge and Mr.Prepper.
I was watching that initially only to find OK streamer who is playing the way I don't suffer facepalms every single minute.
Turned out it was an impossible task.
I watched 15 - fyfteen - at least - streamers, from big one with a few thosands of viewers, to a small with a hundred, or few dozens, watched exactly first act of Breathedge and how they deal with it.
It was fucking horror. Only 1 was playing watchfully, calmly and methodical - Japanese.

The rest were more or less like headless chicken - running around, not noticing things under their nose. Game is about space, so you are supposed to remember that things could be in both hemisphere lol - not just before or behind you. How many of them do you think understood that? Oh, not so much. They yelled - what I'm supposed to do?! I wanted to yell at them - look under your feets, cretin, above your head, idiot. It was unbearable, I was feeling like if I was watching some animals. Most of them had some tunnel vision or something, and didn't notice things that weren't in the center of the monitor.
Maybe that was because they used large monitors? TVs? Dunno. They couldn't figure out they need to do make tools in reserve, beforehand. Had strange priorities liek catching food components while that had full container of it. Coudn't figure out that some construction that levitate in space - it's basically a geometrical figure, and to search it completely you need at least twice fly around it in two different planes lol. :0-13:
Also - what a fucking shame - girls did better than boys in general. The horror, how men really are opressed/supressed.

So, AAA titles probably just understand mental capacity of mass crowd from their beloved focus groups. Though the matter of course more complicated than this.
Planet full of not idiots, but really close to them...

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom