Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Black Myth: Wu Kong - a.k.a. "Sekiro 2: now YOU are the monkey" - coming August 20th

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Some info + artwork and screenshots:

The indie team behind it is apparentely composed of around 40 people - they are now recruiting 19 more.
The studio was founded in 2014 by ex-Tencent employees.

There's a total of 72 Abilities/Actions (reference to Sun Wukong's 72 transformations).
There's also some RPG elements (take that as you will).

The game has been in development for 2 years now, with Unreal Engine 4.
The team says during that time they've played games like nu-God of War, Monster Hunter World and Sekiro - learning from each title.
The game still needs at least 2 more years of development to be completed.
During which time the studio will probably look for funding/publishers to work with.
The founder Feng Ji also says that he plans on making Black Myth a game series.

image.jpg
954.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg
Concept-heifenshan2.jpg
Concept-heifenshan1.jpg
Concept-landscape1.jpg
Concept-landscape3.jpg
Concept-landscape6.jpg
Concept-landscape2.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Black-Myth-Wu-Kong-2020-08-20-20-015.jpg
image.jpg
Wallpaper6.jpg
Black-Myth-Wu-Kong-2020-08-20-20-014.jpg
Wallpaper5.jpg
This is some very cool shit.

JDR13

Arcane
Not a big fan of souls-likes, but this actually looks pretty cool. I was impressed by the demo.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
What, you would've perferred yet another The Romance of the 3 Kingdoms?

Besides tell me one good action game that uses Journey to the West as setting?

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Game is not out yet and they started working on another one

ClearFineBluejay-size_restricted.gif

SilkyAgileGar-size_restricted.gif
BelatedDizzyAvocet-size_restricted.gif

When China is not ripping off Nintendo, they're ripping off Sony's cinematic walking simulators.
Make something with an identity for once?

Black Myth Wukong
Crimson Desert
Faith of Danschant
Project Awakening
Lost Soul Aside
... and they keep coming

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
While the aesthetics are reminiscent of Sekiro, which the devs stated to be one of their main inspirations, honestly I find the gameplay much closer to more classic jap actions games like DMC, NG and Nioh than anything From as made

And on a technical level the game is as impressive as always
The transition to UE5 seems to have improved their lighting and particle effects as well

But what I find truly amazing on the technical qualities of the artistic side, is their animation work
Holy fuck that is good
I am specially referring to the dragon
It's movement are quite "natural", graceful even, all the while still having a sense of "weigth" to it
They must've worked like crazy to get all those skeletal parts moving at that speed while still retaining those qualities
It really puts even the best Jap studios to shame

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
It really puts even the best Jap studios to shame

https://theoutline.com/post/3087/ou...eo-games-made-in-china-horizon-zero-dawn?zd=1

In a little over 13 years, Virtuos has become one of the biggest outsourcing companies in video games. Virtuos made 3D art, designed levels, and helped program many of the industry’s biggest games, including Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End, NBA 2K18, Middle-earth: The Shadow of War, Forza Motorsport 7, Prey, Star Wars Battlefront II, Need for Speed Payback, Watch Dogs 2, Far Cry 4, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite, Halo 5: Guardians, FIFA 17, Battlefield 1, Call of Duty: Black Ops 3, and Mortal Kombat X. The company has also begun handling full development on ports or remasters, and making original games using other company’s brands.

It's like saying they put themselves to shame ultimately. Modern game development, especially when it comes to high budget games, is 90% outsourced when it comes to art assets and even (I honestly thought they didn't in the past because of how unique they are in terms of art direction) From Software does it. (DS3 has a shitton of those studios in the credit list : Passion Republic (Malaysia), Shanghai Arts Unit (China), Tose Software (China), XPEC (China, Taiwan), Lemon Sky (Malaysia), Visual Flight (based in Japan but all the names in the credit are chinese lol), HangZhou Sunchos (China), Speed INC. (Japan), DAG (Japan).

Basically, all your triple A scheisse is made by sweatshops based on directions and concept art from the japanese or kwan who outsource the project.
It's not surprising if China can make something visually beautiful. They, along with other poor countries, are the ones who make all the stuff you're looking at in the first place. That whatever japanese game you were thinking of as japanese? most of what you see on the screen isn't really japanese made. At most the original concept art was japanese.
Fuck, $11k a year salary in the case of China.. That's miserable considering the level of education and effort. Game development is exploitative garbage.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I've got tired of these Souls-like games a long time ago.

Make something different, you filthy epigones.

Who gives a shit about different if it sucks ass.

Make something different if you can come up with something that is just as good, othewise i'd rather have the same, thank you very much.

I already like how the visuals in this game appear to be toned down and somber compared to the usual visual diarrhea found in those kind of spaz lord games, so that's a plus.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom