Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Black Obilesks Spoilers: Realms Shaking Event Coming

Gyor

Savant
Okay it turns out that the Black Obilesks that have appeared in all the D&D 5e adventures and some of the Setting guides were created by an ancient society of Weavers, the secretbof maling them was then stolen by Vecna, from whom the Netherese stole that secret, only for their Obilesks to be stolen after the Netherese Empire fell.

What they do is time travel, they can cause creatures, regions, or even worlds to revert to a previous era, the one in Frostmaiden can send the players back in time 1800 years, where they can stop the Netherese Empire from falling.

The fact that these Obilesks appear in multiple APs, multisettings (Exandia, Hell, Ravenloft, Forgotten Realms), suggests that they have been building up toba major Realms shaking event, that will have huge multiverse implictations perhaps all the way to MtG (hence the FR MtG crossover).

Could this mean a FRCG type book next year? Hopefully.

mondblut

Arcane
I'd rather have a Realms-fixing event for a change. Time travel sounds pretty good actually... like going back in time before spellplague and before 4e and 5e.

Bara

Arcane
Here's the video with a guy covering the contents of rime of the frost maiden. I've set the time to the specific page where it talks about the time travel and obelisks so pause and read.

Seeing as the obelisk deletes itself after use I don't know about a multi-realm shaking event just yet. Especially since the function is just localized time travel I don't understand how they'd use it for a multi-planer crisis.

As for MTG merging with the Realms some how or the overall D&D universe I have my doubts for now as the FR MTG set is replacing a core set and core sets never had story or lore associated with them for ages. If they start writting articles/stories set in FR when the set is releasing then I'll worry about them pulling that stupidity.

Also, what the hell WoTC in that bit with the time travel they recommend DM's check out other FR products to "get a lay of the land" in that time period. Like they couldn't even recommend which products at least or at least give a page or two detailing the immediate region and it's neighbors?

Also, Gyor why don't you keep these threads under the main 5e thread? Not every announcement or rumor needs to be its separate thread for 5e.

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
In before it's just a narrative excuse for 6e changes.

Gyor

Savant
Here's the video with a guy covering the contents of rime of the frost maiden. I've set the time to the specific page where it talks about the time travel and obelisks so pause and read.

Seeing as the obelisk deletes itself after use I don't know about a multi-realm shaking event just yet. Especially since the function is just localized time travel I don't understand how they'd use it for a multi-planer crisis.

As for MTG merging with the Realms some how or the overall D&D universe I have my doubts for now as the FR MTG set is replacing a core set and core sets never had story or lore associated with them for ages. If they start writting articles/stories set in FR when the set is releasing then I'll worry about them pulling that stupidity.

Also, what the hell WoTC in that bit with the time travel they recommend DM's check out other FR products to "get a lay of the land" in that time period. Like they couldn't even recommend which products at least or at least give a page or two detailing the immediate region and it's neighbors?

Also, Gyor why don't you keep these threads under the main 5e thread? Not every announcement or rumor needs to be its separate thread for 5e.

This FR set having a story has been confirmed by the D&D boss Ray Winnger, with the D&D team working with the MtG team and they staight up said they aren't doing a Core Set in 2021, not that they were setting a Core set in the Forgotten Realms. Also its also been mentioned by a member of the MtG team that its new cards, Core Sets are partially new cards, partially reprints. It drives me nuts that folks assume that because DDAitFR took Core Set traditional summer slot that it was just going to be a Core Set with a setting without any evidence.

Dungeons and Dragons: Adventures in the Forgotten Realms is a major experiment in the words of a MtG team member who worked on the set. So its clearly the 2021 innovation Product not Core Set: Forgotten Realms.

Its not like they haven't stopped doing Core Sets before, but you'd think it was given how folks seemed to think its a stealth core set.

Personally I think its going to be more like Ikoria, Commander focused, but mostly black border Stardand form. So this is my guess its going to come with 5 Commander Decks, tied to 5 major Factions (The Harpers, The Zhentarium, The Guantlet, The Emerald Enclave, and The Lords Alliance). I also think Adventure from Eldraine will make a major return, that it will be Legendary heavy (Lands, Creatures, ect...) and bring back "Historic" key word like Dominaria was. Maybe see the return of Sagas too. Some folks think party will return from Zendikar, I think the mechanic is too confining for FR class structure and has practical issue, but fun.

And I think that something will try and use the Obilesks, but something will go wrong, it doesn't go right and the D&D Multiverse gets hit with its own version of Time Spiral Event that MtG experienced, and somehow the two events will end up linked some how. This will allow them to use creatures and Locations from any time period in the Forgotten Realms, and gives the D&D team an excuse to release a Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide book, and they can link the two Multiverses together, some how and address issues that both multiverses face and make changes to them.

Gyor

Savant

5.4e more likely, that is basically what Tasha's Cauldron of Everything is functionally. Its kind of a new edition except you still use the PHB for the basic rules and it has ultra high compatiblity with 5e books.

J1M

Arcane

5.4e more likely, that is basically what Tasha's Cauldron of Everything is functionally. Its kind of a new edition except you still use the PHB for the basic rules and it has ultra high compatiblity with 5e books.
You lost me. Why ".4"?

Gyor

Savant

You lost me. Why ".4"?

It's a comparison to the relationship between 3e and 3.5e.

Basically TCoE is a minor edition change, just shy of the level of change that 3.5e made over 3e as I've seen someone catagorize it.

2e to 3e was a major edition change, 3e to 3.5e was a minor edition, 3.5e to 4e major edition change, 4e to Essential minor edition change, Essentials to 5e Major edition change, 5e to TCoE minor edition change. You still use the 5e PHB so hence why I call TCoE 5.4 instead of 5.5e.

J1M

Arcane

You lost me. Why ".4"?

Basically TCoE is a minor edition change, just shy of the level of change that 3.5e made over 3e as I've seen someone catagorize it.

2e to 3e was a major edition change, 3e to 3.5e was a minor edition, 3.5e to 4e major edition change, 4e to Essential minor edition change, Essentials to 5e Major edition change, 5e to TCoE minor edition change. You still use the 5e PHB so hence why I call TCoE 5.4 instead of 5.5e.
That's really not how semantic versioning works. It would be less confusing if you referred to it as 5.1.

Gyor

Savant

You lost me. Why ".4"?

That's really not how semantic versioning works. It would be less confusing if you referred to it as 5.1.

The current version of 5e is already called 5.1e D&D. In a D&D content it makes sense and it's how others use it too.

Anyways, digits A-side, the main point is that Tasha's Cauldron of Everything is a minor edition change.

Bara

Arcane
What was Time spiral anyway never did follow MTG lore that closely.

Gyor

Savant
What was Time spiral anyway never did follow MTG lore that closely.

https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Time_Spiral_block

Basically Godlike Premending Planeswalkers abused magic so much that they mangled time itself on the Nexus World Dominaria. This cause all kinds of weird shit to happen like time rifts all over the place, allowing creatures and stuff from the past to reappear, while other creatures disappeared among other temporal chaos.

A group of Planeswalkers seal these time rifts, sometimes sacrificing their Planeswalker Spark or someone elses to seal the time rifts. This saved Dominaria at a high price. It caused The Mending which changed how Planeswalking worked. Premending Planar/World Travel was like D&D, with portals and spells that would allow those without a Planeswalker Spark to travel between worlds. Post Mending all the old magics and Portals that allowed travel between MtG "Planes" stopped working except for Planeswalker Sparks. Planeswalkers lost their Godlike power and Inmortality, but they could still travel between Planes, but it took more effort. And Dominaria is no longer the Nexus (Center of the Multiverse, somewhere else became the Nexus, it was never stated where, but some think the Nexus is now Ravnica MtGs most popular setting, although I'd laugh my fucking ass off if we find out the Forgotten Realms is the new Nexus).

Anyways an FR Time Spiral like event with time rifts and weird cosmic shit could be the justification they use to merge the D&D and MtG multiverses. Heck it could even end up making the Forgotten Realms the new Nexus (in D&D terms Sigil is supposed to be the Nexus like place of D&D, in practice FR is the Center of the D&D multiverse).

Bara

Arcane
Hm well we'll have to see how it works out. Still not a fan of them ramming DnD and Mtg together as wouldn't that mean planner adventures are now a thing of the past for DnD since only planeswalkers are supposed to be the only ones who can do that?

I guess they could just break that and revert some things to pre-mending but dosen't that make planeswalker all losers whose main gift is easily replicated by regular magic?

I just don't get why there are people so keen on the idea of a universe merger.

Also side note I though sigil was expressly written some where to not be the center of the planes in DnD and no one knows where that really is. Just one of the most central meeting points of the planes.

Gyor

Savant
Hm well we'll have to see how it works out. Still not a fan of them ramming DnD and Mtg together as wouldn't that mean planner adventures are now a thing of the past for DnD since only planeswalkers are supposed to be the only ones who can do that?

I guess they could just break that and revert some things to pre-mending but dosen't that make planeswalker all losers whose main gift is easily replicated by regular magic?

I just don't get why there are people so keen on the idea of a universe merger.

Also side note I though sigil was expressly written some where to not be the center of the planes in DnD and no one knows where that really is. Just one of the most central meeting points of the planes.

I don't think they are getting rid of Spelljammers and Planeshift spells, they will find somekind of loopholes for D&D.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Does no one here think this is preparation in order to retcon the entire setting of inconvenient [so called] racist allegations? Change the origin, and past events of the Orc & Drow, and others? Of course it is.

Gyor

Savant
Does no one here think this is preparation in order to retcon the entire setting of inconvenient [so called] racist allegations? Change the origin, and past events of the Orc & Drow, and others? Of course it is.

They might slip in a few minor changes, not so much retconning things and adding morr exceptions to Drow and Orcs and such, but the truth is they don't actually have to do much more then shift emphasis, there have always been good and/or neutral examples of many "monsterous humaniods", such as Zakhara, and others.

Plus this was planned before the insanity of 2020.

Gyor

Savant
there have always been good and/or neutral examples of many "monsterous humaniods", such as Zakhara, and others.
Drow were never supposed to be anything other than evil.

FR has had good Drow since it's beginning pretty much, Drizzt and his father, that Drow Goddess I forget how to spell her name, Loriel Baenre, ect...,

It's only in Greycock, er I mean Greyhawk that Drow are 1 dimensional evil, although that of course will change for various reasons.

Codex Year of the Donut
there have always been good and/or neutral examples of many "monsterous humaniods", such as Zakhara, and others.

FR has had good Drow since it's beginning pretty much, Drizzt and his father, that Drow Goddess I forget how to spell her name, Loriel Baenre, ect...,

It's only in Greycock, er I mean Greyhawk that Drow are 1 dimensional evil, although that of course will change for various reasons.
Just because people fucked it up doesn't mean it should be that way.
The idea that every sapient being should be all ranges of alignment is bullshit and we all know why the game has been changed to accommodate it. If you think a black person is similar to a non-human monster capable of only being evil and therefore we need to change the fictional monster, maybe you're the one that's really fucking racist.

Gyor

Savant

Just because people fucked it up doesn't mean it should be that way.
The idea that every sapient being should be all ranges of alignment is bullshit and we all know why the game has been changed to accommodate it. If you think a black person is similar to a non-human monster capable of only being evil and therefore we need to change the fictional monster, maybe you're the one that's really fucking racist.

Dude you are barking up the wrong tree, I agree with you on the toxic "orcs are racist" idiots, they are racist. I was just pointing out FR Drow lore, which goes back to at least, the early 1980's, so on my part it has nothing to do with woke stupidity, but rather the lore from the beginning.

Gyor

Savant
but rather the lore from the beginning.
Gygax created the Drow and said they are only supposed to be evil.

This isn't Greyhawk, the Forgotten Realms was co-created by Ed Greenwood and Jeff Grubbs, and they decided differently for FR.

Given the millions of Drizzt novels sold this ship sailed decades ago. Hell Drizzt is going to be playable in upcoming ARPG Dark Alliance.

Codex Year of the Donut

This isn't Greyhawk, the Forgotten Realms was co-created by Ed Greenwood and Jeff Grubbs, and they decided differently for FR.

Given the millions of Drizzt novels sold this ship sailed decades ago. Hell Drizzt is going to be playable in upcoming ARPG Dark Alliance.
Forgotten Realms is the creation of a perverted sexual deviant, who cares

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Forgotten Realms is the creation of a perverted sexual deviant, who cares

Everybody who is into D&D, other than yourself obviously

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
In the Forgotten Realms as originally published in early 1987, drow are described identically to their depiction in the Greyhawk setting and in the classic adventure module series G1-3/D1-3/Q1:
Dark Elves, also called drow or night Elves, are the most sinister and evil of the Elven race, as if this sub-race seems to balance the tranquility and goodness of their cousins with unrepentant maliciousness and evil. Drow have black skin that resembles nothing so much as polished obsidian, and eyes and hair of stark white. The variation of the other Elven sub-races is missing here. Most of this fell race have been driven under, and are shunned by the other Elven sub-races.

Yes, it was the decision by R.A. Salvatore to create a good drow as the fan favorite character in his trilogy of Forgotten Realms novels (followed by a second trilogy and further books) that fundamentally and irreversibly changed perceptions of the drow, which was reflected in later Forgotten Realms setting books, such as FOR2 The Drow of the Underdark published in 1991.

crystalshard.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom