Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Blackguards 2 New Features Video, Part One

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Blackguards 2; Daedalic Entertainment

Daedalic Entertainment has sent in a press release announcing a new series of videos explaining the setting and gameplay of their upcoming Strategy RPG Blackguards 2. Part 1, dealing with factions, is available on YouTube already:

To help illustrate the significant improvements over the original Blackguards, Daedalic is releasing a series of feature videos focusing on characters, combat and gameplay in their turn-based tactical RPG, set for launch in early 2015. The first of these video featurettes, available today, introduces all-new heroes rallying around the game's protagonist Cassia, and gives a first impression of the game’s turn-based battles as well as new useful combat tools.

At the core of Blackguards 2 is the conflict between Cassia – who starts a military campaign against the tyrant Marwan. Marwan rules the country with an iron fist from his throne in the city of Mengbilla. The ultimate goal of the game’s many turn-based battles is to conquer as much territory as possible and free it from Marwan’s influence, so that Cassia can claim the Shark Throne of Mengbilla herself.​

Aside from that, the press release contains a lengthy introduction to some key new features of the game, from multiple screen combat to mercenaries and new enemies, which merits quoting it in full:

At the start of each battle, you can now freely place your characters in a starting area as a first strategic decision. Additional starting areas can be unlocked by acquiring strategic intel from prisoners through interrogation between battles.

These additional starting areas offer the advantage of splitting up your troops, so they can navigate a map via different paths or even layers. For instance, one squad may have to pull a lever to deactivate traps that are blocking another squad’s way, or open doors or shortcuts for them.

Battles, no matter if fought by one or more squads, range across multiple screens, lead through dungeons, ruins, or bridges spiked with traps and are, of course, inhabited by dangerous creatures.​

New enemies include Sandghosts, who turn into sandstorms, and Jesperwoods, who cannot be engaged in close combat:

The fiercest among these monsterous foes are the chimeras; magical beasts created by Marwan's chimerologists. Their unique abilities make them formidable opponents: Sandghosts, for example, can turn into a whirling sandstorm, passing through obstacles with ease, leaving devastation in their wake.

Another of the new monsters in Blackguards 2 are Jesperwoods - hulking constructs made of vine, flesh and steel, always surrounded by swarms of bees, which makes them seemingly impossible to engage in close combat. However, even ranged opponents can be incapacitated by their tangling roots breaking through the ground. Monsters like the Jesperwood and the Sandghost are just two of the creatures that will challenge your combat mettle in Blackguards 2.

The chimeras as a whole are constructs without will, held together by magic and controlled by circles of arcane power and so-called blood organs, instruments that are interactive objects on almost every map.

Both Marwan's and Cassia's troops can make use of those instruments. In side quests, Cassia can even acquire the corresponding melodies and summonings from Marwan's chimerologist causing these beasts to fight for her and maybe even turn the tide of battle.​

The game will also feature mercenary recruits, which will in turn lead you to consider the importance of popular support:

Available to Cassia are not just the heroes of the first Blackguards, but also bands of mercenaries. Their leader is a bloodthirsty and ruthless man named Faramud. Up to ten mercenaries can join Cassia and her champions in battle. They have their very own classes and contribute unique abilities to the fray. From the classic sword-wielding front line grunt and the nimble archer, to the stealthy assassin, unrivaled in speed and deadliness: each mercenary can be directly deployed and controlled during battle.

But the support of Faramud and his men is a double edged blade, not only figuratively: blood and violence are their fuel. And the common people of conquered territory are most likely the ones who suffer under the sellswords' lust for pillage. It's on the player to decide if Cassia lets Faramud have his will, giving him permission to pillage, raze and murder. Or if she keeps the leash on him, jeopardizing her alliance with the mercenaries, but earning the support of the southern people.

Whatever the player decides, it will have an impact on the events to come, what side quests are available and how characters will react in camp and in conquered areas. In later battles that will mean that the people of the south will either stand up against Cassia's murderous troops, supporting Marwan, or stand with Cassia against the tyrant.​

Finally, Daedalic is taking the "strategy" part more seriously this time, allowing the player to capture and defend territories:

However, Marwan won't just sit by idly while Cassia marches towards Mengbilla. If she seems to advance successfully, Marwan will strike back to reclaim lost territory. If the player wants to hold conquered areas because of their strategic significance, those territories must be defended. Even though players can cleverly place traps and reinforce their position, Marwan now knows what he’s in for and will send his own troops in as a counter. As you can imagine, defending a position is much tougher than taking it.

Another increase in challenge becomes evident when the player is in the unfortunate position of re-conquering lost territory. Cassia and her men face traps and a well-prepared enemy who makes you pay for every inch you want to reclaim.

Whatever path she takes on her campaign to Mengbilla, whatever positions she takes and holds for her troops, and what parts of the story unfold for Cassia – it is completely in the player’s hands

The world map between battles offers important information about possible obstacles, advantages and resources of the different areas. Via torture and interrogation you can always receive additional information as you play.​

Blackguards 2 is still scheduled for "early 2015."

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Mehh.. doesn't seem that great. Seems like the same game with less plot and just capturing nodes then killing the big bad guy.. followed by being betrayed by the other douche bag who is your ally at the beginning..

I will probably wait for this one to go on sale.. The first one seemed more interesting.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I am getting a Black Company vibe from this game. Although, to deliver on that, both sides of the conflict would need to have questionable morality and be divided into smaller, rivaling factions who deceive one another on every step. Probably too high a bar, but one can hope.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I am getting a Black Company vibe from this game. Although, to deliver on that, both sides of the conflict would need to have questionable morality and be divided into smaller, rivaling factions who deceive one another on every step. Probably too high a bar, but one can hope.

This game seems like the same engine.. same models.. same over world map.. Not trying to complain about graphics.. the game looks fine but I am sensing that this game is being pushed out for a quick buck.. I am not seeing a lot of original ideas being implemented, this should be an expansion or DLC pack, not a brand new fresh game..

I don't have high expectations.. unless your a dedicated fan you will probably be disappointed.

DramaticPopcorn

Will you be able to switch between different kinds of ammunition without wasting weapon slot & a turn to switch to it?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I am not seeing a lot of original ideas being implemented

Except, you know, expanding the gameplay into a completely different genre. O_o How is that a "quick buck"?

Crooked Bee Is that the full press release, or is there anything else in there?

Athelas

Arcane

This game seems like the same engine.. same models.. same over world map.. Not trying to complain about graphics.. the game looks fine but I am sensing that this game is being pushed out for a quick buck.. I am not seeing a lot of original ideas being implemented, this should be an expansion or DLC pack, not a brand new fresh game..
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Slam+Dunk&defid=5711638

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Crooked Bee Is that the full press release?

Yup, pretty much. I only omitted the introduction as well as the last paragraph:

Hamburg, November 6th, 2014. As shown in today’s new video – Blackguards 2 will be the Strategy RPG fans have always wanted. Taking into account significant community feedback, the developers at Daedalic Entertainment have added new features, unique enemies and enhanced and improved gameplay over the original Blackguards! In Blackguards 2, battles will be even more epic, and their handling has been significantly tweaked.

[...] All these new features, along with more info about the game and tips for successful adventuring will be showcased in this and future videos in our Blackguards 2 video series, which we will release regularly until the game's release in early 2015.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I am not seeing a lot of original ideas being implemented

Except, you know, expanding the gameplay into a completely different genre. O_o How is that a "quick buck"?

Crooked Bee Is that the full press release, or is there anything else in there?

Completely different genre? :lol:

It's the same exact game with some city capturing mechanics slapped in and the entire plot and depth of the first game ripped out.. You still travel to generic cities, have combat scenarios, collect loot then move on to the next city. The only difference is now your cities that have been captured can be attacked and create new scenarios.

Same Mechanics, Same Combat, Same characters. The reason your companions make a come back is because they have the models all fully rigged and animated, another saved dollar on dev time.

The game might be good but it stinks of quick buck right now.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Completely different genre? :lol:

Yes.

the entire plot and depth of the first game

O_o

The game might be good but it stinks of quick buck right now.

Except that's not a stink, it's a sweet smell. Engine reuse to create sequels with better, deeper writing, scenarios and mechanics has given us some of the best RPGs in history. I'm all for it.

Sprout

Educated

I don't have high expectations.. unless your a dedicated fan you will probably be disappointed.
To me it looks much more like they're trying to conserve funds. I don't know how much they made from blackguards, a decent amount probably to justify a sequel. But considering the game was by it's very nature niche, not that much.

Anyways, looks interesting. The premise rubs that sweet spot for me that few games manage. Let's hope it works out for everyone involved.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yes, don't get the complaints. Why make all-new engine and assets if you can reuse them, save money and invest that in game/level design and other content?

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
better, deeper writing, scenarios

If this is what they deliver I will promptly shove my foot in my mouth and be the first to buy it full retail price.

Right now the trailers (the thing that is supposed to build the game up to make a sale) makes the game look watered down plot wise to facilitate this tug of war fight with some slaver guy..

Again I am just saying how it looks to me.. it might be better then the first one. I'm just not going to preorder it and be the first to find out. :lol:

Yes, don't get the complaints. Why make all-new engine and assets if you can reuse them, save money and invest that in game/level design and other content?

This wasn't my argument.. I just see asset reuse (AKA pigeon holing you into the same 3 companions along with a clone army of generic mercenaries) as a sign of a company trying to make a quick buck. Seen it too many times before.

The graphics and engine are fine if they really put hard work into the games plot and combat to improve it further over the first one.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Anything that limits the writing from the first game is a good thing. It was so bad, I had enough of the game after playing the demo.

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Sweet, Sounds exactly like they implemented quite a few of the stuff that Dexers complained about in the first Gamethread.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There are probably more, the just are keeping them for day 1 dlc. Like the country the blackguards 1 protag comes from originally.

Supermedo

Augur
So What happened to the main character in blackguards 1 ?
Yup, I finished the game at launch, all I remember that they were front of a gate before credits rolling.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom